What are effective ways to classify physics problems?

• Thread starter djosey
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks for the advice! i think you're right, not worth worrying about, i wanted to ask in case there was something i missed.
djosey
Well I've now read two general "study guides" who advise me to classify physics problems according to their methods of solution or to identify types of problems.

This sounds like a good idea, a good way to start thinking about a problem and take less time solving it, but still being somewhat of a beginner I'm at a loss as to what those types of problems could be. The only thing i can think of is classification by mathematical tools needed (trig, integrals...), but it doesn't sound that interesting. Do any of you do or did something like this, and if yes what kinds of classification do you use?

Physics news on Phys.org
djosey said:
Well I've now read two general "study guides" who advise me to classify physics problems according to their methods of solution or to identify types of problems.

This sounds like a good idea, a good way to start thinking about a problem and take less time solving it, but still being somewhat of a beginner I'm at a loss as to what those types of problems could be. The only thing i can think of is classification by mathematical tools needed (trig, integrals...), but it doesn't sound that interesting. Do any of you do or did something like this, and if yes what kinds of classification do you use?

Memorizing problems' solutions doesn't teach you how to do physics.

I don't know what it means either. Probably not worth worrying about! Text books often classify their own problems. As you'll have noticed, the easiest, quickest ones tend to come first in a problem set, followed by questions that take more work, involve several distinct steps, offer less guidance, or require the reader to bring together a variety of knowledge and techniques. There may be symbols used to indicate difficulty or whether the problem will need a computer. Some problems are designed to test whether you broadly understand a concept, others your ability to find a detailed solution to a question about a specific example scenario. There are analytical questions versus numerical questions, problems of the kind "prove this general principle, what is the reason, fill in the gaps in the following argument" and problems of the kind "how heavy, how long, what is the force here". I guess it could be useful to think about if you were designing your own problem set or writing a textbook. And of course, if you come across an ingenious technique you want to remember, you might want to make a note of it, but the subtle stuff will become instinct the more you do, and the obvious differences are, well, obvious. Might as well spend that time learning more physics!

Rasalhague said:
I don't know what it means either. Probably not worth worrying about! Text books often classify their own problems. As you'll have noticed, the easiest, quickest ones tend to come first in a problem set, followed by questions that take more work, involve several distinct steps, offer less guidance, or require the reader to bring together a variety of knowledge and techniques. There may be symbols used to indicate difficulty or whether the problem will need a computer. Some problems are designed to test whether you broadly understand a concept, others your ability to find a detailed solution to a question about a specific example scenario. There are analytical questions versus numerical questions, problems of the kind "prove this general principle, what is the reason, fill in the gaps in the following argument" and problems of the kind "how heavy, how long, what is the force here". I guess it could be useful to think about if you were designing your own problem set or writing a textbook. And of course, if you come across an ingenious technique you want to remember, you might want to make a note of it, but the subtle stuff will become instinct the more you do, and the obvious differences are, well, obvious. Might as well spend that time learning more physics!

Thanks for the advice! i think you're right, not worth worrying about, i wanted to ask in case there was something i missed.

Feldoh said:
Memorizing problems' solutions doesn't teach you how to do physics.

Maybe i wasn't clear, i know it's not useful to memorize, i wanted to know if i could learn to approach problems more efficiently, that's all.

1. What is problem classification?

Problem classification is the process of identifying and grouping problems based on their characteristics, patterns, and relationships. It helps in understanding the nature of a problem and finding the most effective solution.

2. Why is problem classification important?

Problem classification is important because it allows us to analyze and categorize problems, which can aid in developing strategies and approaches for solving them. It also helps in identifying common patterns and trends among problems, making it easier to address them.

3. What are the different types of problem classification?

The different types of problem classification include hierarchical, sequential, and relational classification. Hierarchical classification involves grouping problems into broader categories and subcategories. Sequential classification involves organizing problems based on a specific sequence or order. Relational classification involves identifying relationships and connections between different problems.

4. How do you classify a problem?

To classify a problem, you first need to understand its characteristics and underlying patterns. Then, you can use different techniques such as data analysis, clustering, and decision trees to group similar problems together. It is also important to consider the context and potential solutions when classifying a problem.

5. Is problem classification a one-time process?

No, problem classification is an ongoing process. As new problems arise or existing problems evolve, they may need to be reclassified. Additionally, as new data and information become available, problem classification may need to be updated to reflect any changes or new insights.