Fine structure, and hyperfine structure

In summary, the conversation is about the spectra of hydrogen-like ions and whether the equations apply to larger atoms or only one electron atoms. The book by Gerhard Herzberg mentions that for Z=2, Z=3, and Z=4, the spectra of He+, Li++, and Be+++ respectively would be emitted. However, the question arises if this also applies to a two electron system. The equations are believed to only apply to nuclei with one electron, such as a C+++++ ion with an ionization energy of 62 x 13.6 eV.
Denver Dang
Hello...

I was just reading about that, and I have one question.
In the chapter I've jut read about, the overall headline is about one electron atoms, so I was just wondering, since the overall equation got Z (Atomic number) in it, if this was for larger atoms as well, or ONLY one electron atoms, or maybe even Helium as well ?

I hope you know what I mean :)

Regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
I picked up my old "atomic spectra & atomic structure" book by Gerhard Herzberg and is says:

Spectra of hydrogen-like ions. Taking Z=2... gives the spectrum which would be emitted by an electron moving about a nucleus with charge 2; that is, the spectrum of He+. Analogously, for Z=3 and Z=4, we obtain the spectra of Li++ and Be+++.

But they have one electron as well, since they are ionized, don't they ?
I mean, would it also count for a two electron system, or is that completely different ?

I think the equations apply only to nuclei with only one electron: For example, the ionization energy of a carbon nucleus with only one electron is 62 x 13.6 eV. This would be a C+++++ ion.

Bob S

What is fine structure?

Fine structure is a phenomenon in atomic and molecular physics where energy levels of an electron are split due to relativistic effects. This results in the spectral lines of an element being split into multiple closely spaced lines.

What is hyperfine structure?

Hyperfine structure is a phenomenon in atomic and molecular physics where energy levels of an electron are split due to interactions between the electron and the nucleus of an atom or molecule. This results in the spectral lines of an element being split into even finer lines.

How are fine structure and hyperfine structure measured?

Fine structure and hyperfine structure can be measured using spectroscopy, specifically high-resolution spectroscopy. This involves measuring the precise wavelengths of light emitted or absorbed by an atom or molecule and using this information to determine the energy levels and their splitting.

What is the significance of fine structure and hyperfine structure?

Fine structure and hyperfine structure provide important information about the internal structure and behavior of atoms and molecules. They also allow scientists to study the fundamental properties of matter and the laws of quantum mechanics.

How do fine structure and hyperfine structure affect the properties of atoms and molecules?

The splitting of energy levels due to fine structure and hyperfine structure can affect the electronic and magnetic properties of atoms and molecules. This can have implications in fields such as materials science, chemistry, and astrophysics.