Right Hand Rule for Magnetic Fields

In summary, there are various versions of the Right Hand Rule used to determine the direction of a magnetic field. One common method is to point the thumb in the direction of the current and curl the fingers in the direction of the magnetic field. However, some professors, such as the Russian one in this conversation, use a different method where they position their hand along the current and curl towards the point of interest. Ultimately, all versions of the Right Hand Rule are conveying the same information about the relationship between different vectors. It is not necessary to learn all versions, so long as one method is understood and used correctly.
musiliu
Hi, I am wondering if anyone here has heard of or can explain this variation of the right hand rule:
Most websites i see tells you to point thumb in direction of current and curl the fingers, and the direction of the magnetic field is the direction you're curling.

But my professor uses a weird and confusing way that I still do not exactly know how to do:

He somehow positions his hand along the current and curls his hand toward the point of interest, and claims the thumb points in the direction of the magnetic field. Can someone explain this system and how exactly to do it? (btw, the professor is Russian)

p.s. I'm just in General Physics with Calc II class, so try to explain in simple terms..

edit: sorry, i should have posted this in classical physics forum, can someone move this there?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just do one and then the other and see that they both give the same answer! Since you know the right answer by one method, it shouldn't be that hard to work out the other one by trial and error.

Nowhere else in physics has such an enormous amount of effort gone into conveying a single bit of information, than in the myriad versions of the Right Hand Rule.

Imagine x and y axes on paper, and the z axis coming towards you. XxY=Z, YxZ=X, and ZxX=Y. Swapping the factors reverses the sign. Any right hand rule is just trying to tell you that. For example, F=qvxB: v is the first vector, B is the second, F is the third. So long as you don't screw up the 123123 ordering, assign whichever one you want to your thumb, fingers, or palm. Having done that, proceed in the order thumb fingers, out of palm, thumb, fingers, out of palm.

The rules all are trying to say the same thing. Just use whatever version works for you and don't worry about any others, any more than you would worry about learning Russian just to listen to your professor better.

What is the Right Hand Rule for Magnetic Fields?

The Right Hand Rule for Magnetic Fields is a method used to determine the direction of the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire or a permanent magnet. It is based on the fact that a magnetic field is created by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons.

How do you use the Right Hand Rule for Magnetic Fields?

To use the Right Hand Rule, you need to point your right hand in the direction of the current (or the direction of the flow of positive charge). Then, curl your fingers towards the direction of the magnetic field. The direction in which your thumb points is the direction of the magnetic field.

What is the significance of the Right Hand Rule for Magnetic Fields?

The Right Hand Rule is essential in understanding the behavior of charged particles in the presence of a magnetic field. It allows us to determine the direction of the force acting on a charged particle in a magnetic field, as well as the direction of the induced current in a wire placed in a magnetic field.

Can the Right Hand Rule be used for any type of magnetic field?

Yes, the Right Hand Rule can be used for any type of magnetic field, whether it is created by a current-carrying wire, a permanent magnet, or an electromagnet. It is a universal method for determining the direction of a magnetic field.

Are there any variations of the Right Hand Rule for Magnetic Fields?

Yes, there are variations of the Right Hand Rule that can be used for different scenarios. For example, the Second Right Hand Rule can be used to determine the direction of the magnetic field around a current-carrying solenoid, and the Left Hand Rule can be used for negative charges or electrons.