Are Multiple Stereoisomers Produced in Hydroxylation Reactions of Alkenes?

• Thread starter maverick280857
  • Start date
In summary: The products drawn in the figure would be the trans-1-phenyl-but-1-ene and the cis-1-phenyl-but-1-ene. The diagram attached shows the products that would be formed from the reaction. The transition state is as you described, chem_tr, and the initial osmate ester does exist with both oxygens on the same side of the olefin. However, once the osmate ester is cleaved the C-C bond between the hydroxyls can rotate freely and attain a conformation like Maverick drew.
maverick280857
Hi

I need some help with the following reactions:

1. cis-1-phenyl-but-1-ene + osmium textroxide + aq sodium bisulfite
2. trans-1-phenyl-but-1-ene + osmium tetroxide + aq sodium bisulfite

To make things simpler, I am attaching a diagram which includes my solution. Reaction 2 is clear to me but I think another product should be formed in the first reaction according to the principle that if a stereogenic center is created in a reaction, all configurations about it are formed. Is this reasoning correct?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Vivek

Attachments

• SEP22.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, your reasoning is correct. The product that you have drawn would come from the osmium attacking the top face of the alkene as you have it drawn. The enantiomer of the product you have drawn could be formed by the osmium attacking the bottom face of the cis compound you have drawn.

Dear friends,

I am not sure about reaction two, as osmium tetroxide (in the presence of an oxidizing agent such as sodium bisulfite) always produces syn- type of compounds, I mean, trans-alkenes with bulky groups will even give syn- diols; so there will not be any chiral compound except that the olefin is located at the terminal. In that case, a vicinal diol is produced with one chiral carbon.

Please view my figure in the attachment, taken from Francis Carey's Organic Chemistry, 1987, ISBN: 0-07-009831-X, from pages 570 and 571.

By the way, your reasoning is true about stereogenic centers, Vivek. Movies is right also, about attacking topwards and bottomwards through an alkene; however, I'm not sure if it is valid for osmium tetroxide as it forms a complex compound.

Regards,
chem_tr

The "syn" terminology tends to fail in straight chain cases because it is dependent on how the compound is drawn. Maverick's picture shows the products in Newman projections, where the horizontal groups are, by convention, protruding out of the plane of the page. I think that if you inspect the image again carefully with this in mind you will find that the image is of the correct racemic product from the trans olefin. Indeed the transition state is as you described, chem_tr, and the initial osmate ester does exist with both oxygens on the same side of the olefin. However, once the osmate ester is cleaved the C-C bond between the hydroxyls can rotate freely and attain a conformation like Maverick drew.

Thanks again chem_tr and movies for all your help.

Cheers
Vivek

What is hydroxylation of alkenes?

Hydroxylation of alkenes is a chemical reaction in which a hydroxyl group (-OH) is added to an alkene molecule. This process is also known as hydration and is used to produce alcohols from alkenes.

What are the reagents used in hydroxylation of alkenes?

The most common reagents used in hydroxylation of alkenes are water (H2O) and an acid, such as sulfuric acid (H2SO4) or phosphoric acid (H3PO4). Other reagents that can be used include peroxides (such as hydrogen peroxide) and metal catalysts (such as palladium or platinum).

How does hydroxylation of alkenes differ from oxidation of alkenes?

Hydroxylation of alkenes involves the addition of a hydroxyl group (-OH) to an alkene molecule, while oxidation of alkenes involves the removal of hydrogen atoms from the alkene molecule. Hydroxylation results in the formation of an alcohol, while oxidation can result in the formation of aldehydes, ketones, or carboxylic acids.

What are the main applications of hydroxylation of alkenes?

Hydroxylation of alkenes is widely used in the production of alcohols, which have various applications in industries such as pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, and fuel production. It is also used in the synthesis of other chemicals, such as aldehydes and ketones.

What factors influence the rate of hydroxylation of alkenes?

The rate of hydroxylation of alkenes is influenced by several factors, including the nature of the alkene (e.g. its structure and stability), the choice of reagents and catalysts, temperature, and pressure. Other factors such as the presence of impurities or the use of solvents can also affect the rate of reaction.