Will Increased Distance Affect Hydraulic Elevator Performance?

• Thread starter trickyrick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydraulics
In summary, Rick wants to use the front end of a forklift as an elevator in his new house, using a 5 hp 220v motor and pump from a woodsplitter. He plans to move the motor and pump 44 feet away from the elevator using 3/4 inch hydraulic hose. However, using hose for a permanent installation is not recommended due to aging and poor flow characteristics. It is suggested to use tube or pipe instead. Knowing the flow rate is important in calculating pressure drop.
trickyrick
I have taken the front end of a fork lift and using it in my new house as an elevator. I am using a 5 hp 220v moter to turn a pump off a woodsplitter. This is within 4 feet of the forklift. I want to move the motor and pump away from the elevator there would now be 44 feet of 3/4 in hose between the two. My question is would the motor and pump have to work a lot harder to operate the elevator.
Thanks
Rick

Engineering news on Phys.org
So I'm guessing the flow is about 2 to 2.5 GPM and you won't use hose, but tube or pipe? Pressure is around 2500 psi, maybe a bit more? Number of elbows is small (say less than 10). Hydraulic oil is about the same as water? Given the above, the 44 feet isn't a problem. Pressure drop is about 1 psi for a .65" ID.

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean not to use hose. I was going to buy Hydraulic hose 3/4 in OD. There would be no elbows and the pressure gauge only goes as high as 1200 psi

Using hose for a permanent installation is a very poor way of going. They tend not to age well. Also, the ID of the hose is generally much less than a tube or pipe of the same OD. Overall, they don't have very good flow characteristics.

Do you know your flow rate? That makes all the difference in the world when calculating pressure drop.

1. How does increased distance affect hydraulic elevator performance?

Increased distance can affect hydraulic elevator performance in several ways. The most significant factor is the amount of time it takes for the elevator to travel the increased distance. This can result in longer wait times for passengers and potentially slower overall operation of the elevator. Additionally, increased distance can put more strain on the hydraulic system, potentially causing it to work harder and decrease its lifespan.

2. Will increased distance affect the weight capacity of a hydraulic elevator?

Yes, increased distance can affect the weight capacity of a hydraulic elevator. The farther the elevator travels, the more weight it must lift, which can put strain on the hydraulic system and decrease its weight capacity. It is important to consider the weight capacity when designing and installing a hydraulic elevator for a specific distance.

3. Is there a limit to how far a hydraulic elevator can travel?

Yes, there is a limit to how far a hydraulic elevator can travel. The maximum distance is determined by the design and capabilities of the hydraulic system. In general, the longer the distance, the larger and more powerful the hydraulic system needs to be in order to operate effectively. There are also safety regulations that must be considered when determining the maximum distance for a hydraulic elevator.

4. How does increased distance impact the energy efficiency of a hydraulic elevator?

Increased distance can have a negative impact on the energy efficiency of a hydraulic elevator. The longer the distance, the more energy is required to lift and lower the elevator, resulting in higher energy consumption. To counteract this, advancements in technology have been made to improve the energy efficiency of hydraulic elevators, such as regenerative braking systems.

5. Can increased distance affect the maintenance and repair costs of a hydraulic elevator?

Yes, increased distance can impact the maintenance and repair costs of a hydraulic elevator. Longer distances can put more strain on the hydraulic system, causing it to require more frequent maintenance or repairs. This can result in higher costs for the building owner or maintenance team. It is important to consider the distance and potential maintenance costs when choosing a hydraulic elevator for a building.