What is the displacement, time, and final velocity of an object in motion?

• Thread starter Kdawg
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses five physics problems that the speaker is struggling with, ranging from finding displacement using uniform acceleration to calculating final velocity given initial velocity, acceleration, and distance. The speaker also seeks clarification on formulas and hints for solving the problems.
Kdawg
I have 5 problems on my homework that I can get right. Probably because of somthing stupid but I have to get these done soon. I don't need the answers, just some hints or tips. I have included my work or a description on all of them.

1.) A race car traveling at +44 m/s is uniformly accelerated to a velocity of +24 m/s over an 12-s interval. What is its displacement during this time?
Vi = 44m/s
Vf = 24m/s
t = 12
d = ?

a = Vf-Vi
----
t
a = -1.6
d = 1/2at^2
d = -115.2
with correct sig figs

2.) A car accelerates at a constant rate from 16 m/s to 23 m/s while it travels 130 m. How long does this motion take?
Vi = 16m/s
Vf = 23m/s
d = 130m
t = ?

Dont know what formula/s to use for this one.

3.) An airplane accelerates from a velocity of 22 m/s at the constant rate of 2.8 m/s2 over +504 m. What is its final velocity?
Vi = 22m/s
a = 2.8m/s^2
d = 504m
Vf = ?

t = sqr((2*504)/2.8)
t = 19
Vf = Vi + at
Vf = 75.2
With correct sig figs 75

4.) A person wearing a shoulder harness can survive a car crash if the acceleration is smaller than -300 m/s2. Assuming constant acceleration, how far must the front end of the car collapse if its crashes while going 93 km/h?
Vi = 93km/h
Vf = 0km/h
d = ?

What am I missing in this one?

5.) A woman falls 1.6 m to the floor. How fast is she going when she hits the floor?
Vi = 0m/s
a = 9.8m/s^2
d = 1.6m
t = .57s
Vf = ?
Vf = Vi +at
Vf = 5.6

Physics news on Phys.org
for the first one, find the average velocity and use the formula: d=vt

for the 2nd question, use the formula: Vfinal squared= V1initial squared + 2ad
(sorry, my subscript and superscript buttons don't work)

sorry, screwed up the formula. it is: Vfinal squared = Vinitial squared + 2ad

christinono said:
sorry, screwed up the formula. it is: Vfinal squared = Vinitial squared + 2ad
How do I get a without time? THanks for the fast responce btw.

what question are U talking about?

The second one, you said to use Vfinal squared = Vinitial squared + 2ad but I don't know how to get a without time. I am going of the formulas I have so there might be one.

NOw I see what you mean...
since d=vt, (average velocity, of course), you can just isolate t and solve it.

You can use that equation because it does not require you to know time and works. I don't think you can use the other formulas.

Nevermind.

Sirus can help with the rest of the questions :(!)
Sorry, I'm tired and want to go to bed... :zzz:

np, thanks for the help.

I got 1 and 2, now I am looking for 3-5.

#3: [tex]v_{f}^{2}=v_{i}^{2}+2ad[/tex]
#4: You are missing acceleration, which should be set at -300 meters per sec. squared. Also convert all your values from km/h to m/s.
#5: Use the same formula as #3.

Most of these question use that formula, so make sure you know it for future problems.

for number 3 I am getting 5.6, is that right?

I got one more I have to throw in
A bus traveling at +29 km/h accelerates at a constant +3.7 m/s2 for 6.3 s. What is its final velocity in km/h?
I was working on it here, but I can't get a correct answer. Either that or webassign is being gay.

Try number three again.

For this latest problem: Do you have a formula that relates velocity, accleration, and time? Rather than trying to convert meters per sec. squared to km/h, convert km/h to m/s.

remember that acceleration is equal to the change in velocity (in the same units) over the time interval

1. What is displacement?

Displacement is the change in an object's position, measured in a specific direction. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is displacement calculated?

Displacement is calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position of an object. This can be represented by the equation: Δx = xf - xi, where Δx is the displacement, xf is the final position, and xi is the initial position.

3. What is time?

Time is a measure of the duration between two events. It is often represented in seconds, minutes, hours, or other units of measurement.

4. How is time related to motion?

Time is a crucial factor in determining an object's motion. It is used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of an object, and it also helps determine the distance an object has traveled.

5. What is final velocity?

Final velocity is the speed and direction of an object at the end of its motion. It is a vector quantity and is calculated by dividing the displacement by the time taken to cover that distance. This can be represented by the equation: vf = Δx / Δt, where vf is the final velocity, Δx is the displacement, and Δt is the time.