What is the Best Career Path for Combining Physics and Engineering?

• Thread starter Nano-Passion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, Nanotechnology is a field that involves various forms of science, including physics, chemistry and biology. A school near my home, University of Waterloo actually offers a Nanotechnology degree with specializations in Mathematics and Physics. However, I am still torn apart by the amount of choices out there. I am interested in the field, but I am not sure if I would like engineering or not because I never took the class. I know engineers play an important role because they in essence engineer the future. My dilemma is choosing the end to that means, basically choosing the right career to make a difference. I am very interested in taking the world into the future (technologically) and making a difference. My biggest dilemma is choosing the end
Nano-Passion
For the past year or so I have been really torn between choosing engineering, physics, or a combination of both. To note, I am a freshmen in college but I need to start forming an idea now because the science and engineering field is really vast.

I have a huge passion for understanding the world and its complexity, and being able to control it; it has actually taken me completely by surprise the past couple years. I am very interested in taking the world into the future (technologically) and making a difference. My biggest dilemma is choosing the end to that means, basically choosing the right career to make a difference.

To make it more complicated, money and time is a factor! So comfortable pay is needed and an average amount of time also to enjoy other aspects of life ( I am probably the most well-rounded person you will ever meet ). Though, I am of course willing to sacrifice.

Physics is a deep passion of mine ever since I took the class my senior year of high school. I am however not sure if I would like engineering or not because I never took the class. I know engineers play an important role because they in essence engineer the future. Engineers are also important in nanotechnology, which promises an unimaginable amount for the future.

Please.. please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nanotechnology is a field that involves various forms of science, including physics, chemistry and biology. A school near my home, University of Waterloo actually offers a Nanotechnology degree with specializations in Mathematics and Physics. So if you enjoy applying science to manipulate the world on the atomic scale or macroscopic scale then engineering will be the most satisfying. These are the courses that an engineer would take, specializing in Nanotechnology: http://www.nanotech.uwaterloo.ca/Undergraduate_Studies/Course_List/.

Kevin_Axion said:
Nanotechnology is a field that involves various forms of science, including physics, chemistry and biology. A school near my home, University of Waterloo actually offers a Nanotechnology degree with specializations in Mathematics and Physics. So if you enjoy applying science to manipulate the world on the atomic scale or macroscopic scale then engineering will be the most satisfying. These are the courses that an engineer would take, specializing in Nanotechnology: http://www.nanotech.uwaterloo.ca/Undergraduate_Studies/Course_List/.

See the thing is, there is so much science that I do enjoy.. that I don't know what would be the best option for me.

Though, nanotechnology does interest me due to its promise for the future. However I am still torn apart by the amount of choices out there..

My question is, what would be the lifestyle of a nano technologist so to speak (work schedule, pay, etc.)?

Here is their average salary: http://www.simplyhired.com/a/salary/search/q-Nano+Engineer.

It depends on where you're working. If you're working at a corporation you'll most likely be in the laboratory performing experiments and then presenting your research to develop new technology. As a professor you'll be teaching classes and working in the laboratory.

Nano-Passion said:
See the thing is, there is so much science that I do enjoy.. that I don't know what would be the best option for me.

Though, nanotechnology does interest me due to its promise for the future. However I am still torn apart by the amount of choices out there..

My question is, what would be the lifestyle of a nano technologist so to speak (work schedule, pay, etc.)?

One thing that you might want to be aware of is that for the most part, your undergraduate degree shows you can learn something, and if you do a research degree, it shows that you have the aptitude to learn by yourself and create something original.

Once you have done the above, there's not much stopping you from learning new things. In fact you really don't need the above to learn by yourself, but if you want people to listen to you then you will need the credentials (ie uni degree(s)) to get peoples attention.

So yeah to cap off, get your credential in whatever area(s), and then go into whatever and if you want to learn something, learn it on the job or in your own time.

Kevin_Axion said:
Here is their average salary: http://www.simplyhired.com/a/salary/search/q-Nano+Engineer.

It depends on where you're working. If you're working at a corporation you'll most likely be in the laboratory performing experiments and then presenting your research to develop new technology. As a professor you'll be teaching classes and working in the laboratory.

The pay is fine though I would have imagined it to be higher(they should give them more credit). Nanotechnology is one of the interesting things; being a professor is also interesting because you have the opportunity to inspire others. However only 1 out of 10 would make it to being a professor so it is not reliable.

Science is profoundly interesting and it has so many paths to go down... By now you probably have a pretty good idea of how indecisive I really am. Though my whole life does depend on this...

It's clear to me that you prefer engineering, especially nanoengineering. But you have to consider that you won't be doing nanoengineering until 4th year or graduate school, unless your university specializes.

chiro said:
One thing that you might want to be aware of is that for the most part, your undergraduate degree shows you can learn something, and if you do a research degree, it shows that you have the aptitude to learn by yourself and create something original.

Once you have done the above, there's not much stopping you from learning new things. In fact you really don't need the above to learn by yourself, but if you want people to listen to you then you will need the credentials (ie uni degree(s)) to get peoples attention.

So yeah to cap off, get your credential in whatever area(s), and then go into whatever and if you want to learn something, learn it on the job or in your own time.

Interesting, I haven't heard that before. But don't you need a respectable degree to get a job, especially in science related jobs?

Also, I love learning of how our world is governed, so I wouldn't mind going as far as to attaining a PhD which I believe would increase how much I would get payed.

Kevin_Axion said:
It's clear to me that you prefer engineering, especially nanoengineering. But you have to consider that you won't be doing nanoengineering until 4th year or graduate school, unless your university specializes.

Kevin, I am interested; what makes you lead to that conclusion? I haven't took an engineering course so I have no knowledge of whether I would like it or not. However, I have took physics and I did fall in love with it.

You said you have a deep passion for physics and for advancing technology. These are clear components of being an engineer and more specifically a nanoengineer. Physics is particularly Theoretical Physics, most experiments involve testing theoretical concepts - these ideas won't have direct effect on technology more than likely.

Kevin_Axion said:
You said you have a deep passion for physics and for advancing technology. These are clear components of being an engineer and more specifically a nanoengineer. Physics is particularly Theoretical Physics, most experiments involve testing theoretical concepts - these ideas won't have direct effect on technology more than likely.

I see what your saying but maybe your not giving physics enough credit, it is the very science that gave engineering and much of the world the basis for technology today, did it not? It still holds a huge influence in technology and still holds promise. I very much enjoy learning of how the world is governed.. I find it particularly intriguing. I feel that physicists have the potential to make a tremendous impact (with theories etc.) where engineers might not. I also feel that I may be inaccurate in the statement and may be talking out of my behind.. :confused:

Condensed Matter Physics is widely applicable, but ideas such as Loop Quantum Gravity, Superstring Theory/M-Theory, and Quantum Field Theory aren't. Although I would make a slight exception for Quantum Field Theory.

Nano-Passion said:
My biggest dilemma is choosing the end to that means, basically choosing the right career to make a difference.

Don't worry too much about this. In order to get a technology out and working it takes a lot of different people each doing something different. Just choose whatever looks promising, and it will turn out OK.

Physics is a deep passion of mine ever since I took the class my senior year of high school. I am however not sure if I would like engineering or not because I never took the class. I know engineers play an important role because they in essence engineer the future. Engineers are also important in nanotechnology, which promises an unimaginable amount for the future.

And then there are the finance people that make sure that the research is funded, and the marketing people that create a demand for the product, and the industrial designers, and then the people that load the product onto the ship and the truck drivers that move the product to market.

Don't try to plan everything out in advance. Just go with the flow, and you'll end up somewhere useful.

Kevin_Axion said:
Condensed Matter Physics is widely applicable, but ideas such as Loop Quantum Gravity, Superstring Theory/M-Theory, and Quantum Field Theory aren't. Although I would make a slight exception for Quantum Field Theory.

Well, I really am passionate about how the world is governed and I think outside the box -- as ignorant as it sounds I almost feel confident I can stumble upon a discovery .. or so I hope! Though, to keep it perspective I am probably over my head. =/ .. I'm just afraid I won't get my hands on enough physics or science in engineering.

twofish-quant said:
Don't worry too much about this. In order to get a technology out and working it takes a lot of different people each doing something different. Just choose whatever looks promising, and it will turn out OK.

And then there are the finance people that make sure that the research is funded, and the marketing people that create a demand for the product, and the industrial designers, and then the people that load the product onto the ship and the truck drivers that move the product to market.

Don't try to plan everything out in advance. Just go with the flow, and you'll end up somewhere useful.

See useful is not the word I aim for. Call me greedy but I am much more interested in making a difference or a big change ! I don't want to make a contribution as you listed above, I want to do more than what just anyone else can do. I want to do MORE. :!) It wouldn't hurt to be remembered either.

The people who ARE remembered had to be helped there. Einstein would never have gotten anywhere had it not been for Riemann. Feynman nowhere without Dirac. Him nothing without Bohr, Heisenberg and Schrodinger. See what I mean? It's not about being remembered, it's about contributing what you can. If you want to be rich and famous... well this is hardly the way to go about doing that.

hadsed said:
The people who ARE remembered had to be helped there. Einstein would never have gotten anywhere had it not been for Riemann. Feynman nowhere without Dirac. Him nothing without Bohr, Heisenberg and Schrodinger. See what I mean? It's not about being remembered, it's about contributing what you can. If you want to be rich and famous... well this is hardly the way to go about doing that.

You misunderstand me, I said it wouldn't hurt not a necessary goal.

Rich - No, I'm fine with a comfortable life.
Famous - Not exactly, I'm more interested in spurring knowledge of our world (science) ! -- The bigger the better of course.

Physicists like Feynman and Dirac, I'd imagine, weren't ranking themselves with the great minds of the early 20th century as is the same for current physicists. It is a waste of time to consistently worry or think if you'll discover something. This causes a lack of creativity and passion because your only pondering the greatness of yourself rather than what is around you. If you'll discover something, you will, it will come naturally. Make a choice, I'm not sure how any of us can help you, it's what you want - not us.

Kevin_Axion said:
Physicists like Feynman and Dirac, I'd imagine, weren't ranking themselves with the great minds of the early 20th century as is the same for current physicists. It is a waste of time to consistently worry or think if you'll discover something. This causes a lack of creativity and passion because your only pondering the greatness of yourself rather than what is around you. If you'll discover something, you will, it will come naturally. Make a choice, I'm not sure how any of us can help you, it's what you want - not us.

Thank you.. Thank you. :approve:

1. What is the biggest dilemma of your life?

The biggest dilemma of my life is a personal decision or situation that poses a difficult choice or challenge for me. It could be related to career, relationships, or any other aspect of my life.

2. How did you come to face this dilemma?

I came to face this dilemma through various life experiences and circumstances that led me to question my beliefs, values, and goals. It could also be a result of external factors or unexpected events.

3. How are you dealing with this dilemma?

I am dealing with this dilemma by carefully considering all the options and consequences, seeking advice from trusted individuals, and taking the time to reflect on what truly matters to me. It may also involve seeking professional help or therapy.

4. What are the potential outcomes of this dilemma?

The potential outcomes of this dilemma can vary depending on the specific situation. It could lead to personal growth and self-discovery, a sense of fulfillment and satisfaction, or regret and disappointment. Ultimately, the outcome will depend on how I handle the dilemma and make my decision.

5. How can I overcome this dilemma?

Overcoming this dilemma requires self-awareness, courage, and a willingness to make difficult decisions. It may also involve letting go of expectations and societal pressures, and trusting in my own intuition and values. Seeking support from loved ones and being open to change can also help in overcoming the dilemma.