Solving y'= 3y + 15: Initial Value Problem

• Thread starter parwana
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding a solution to the differential equation y' = 3y + 15 and solving the initial value problem with y(0) = -1. The solution to the problem involves using separation of variables and integrating both sides to get the answer y(x) = 4e^(3x) - 5.
parwana
Finding a solution??

Find all solutions to

y'= 3y + 15

and solve the initial value problem-
y'=3y+15
y(0)= -1

so would it be y= 3/2x^2 + 15y + C?

if not please share what would it be!

Physics news on Phys.org
This should be in Calculus and Analysis. (sorry, I'm not sure about your quesiton.)

Last edited:
parwana said:
Find all solutions to

y'= 3y + 15

and solve the initial value problem-
y'=3y+15
y(0)= -1

so would it be y= 3/2x^2 + 15y + C?

if not please share what would it be!

This problem is easily solved by separation of variables (which I see you did). However, I'm pretty sure you meant 3/2y^2. if y(0) = -1, what does that tell you about the value of C?

Ofcourse! It's been too long...

This is a first order linear differential equation. It will be instructive to write this equation as [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = 3y + 15[/tex]. Because the right side contains [tex]y(x)[/tex] you can't directly integrate the equation as it looks like you tried to do. Instead you can write it so all the [tex]y[/tex] stuff is on the left and all the [tex]x[/tex] is on the right: [tex]\frac{dy}{3y + 15} = dx[/tex]. NOW we can integrate both sides to get [tex]\int_{-1}^{y}\frac{dy}{3y + 15} = \int_{0}^{x}dx[/tex]. Notice that I've already included the initial condition that [tex]y = -1[/tex] when [tex]x=0[/tex] in my limits of integration. It is now a simple matter of integrating the left side and then solving for [tex]y(x)[/tex]. The answer I got was [tex]y(x) = 4e^{3x}-5[/tex].

Last edited:

1. How do you solve a differential equation?

To solve a differential equation, you need to separate the variables and then integrate both sides. In this case, you would move the y term to one side and the x term to the other, and then integrate both sides.

2. What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem is a type of differential equation that involves finding a particular solution that satisfies a given initial condition. In other words, it is a differential equation with a known starting point or value.

3. How do you find the general solution of a differential equation?

To find the general solution of a differential equation, you need to solve the equation for the dependent variable (in this case, y) in terms of the independent variable (x). This will give you a general expression that represents all possible solutions to the equation.

4. What is the role of the constant of integration in solving a differential equation?

The constant of integration is a constant term that is added to the general solution of a differential equation. It represents the family of curves that satisfy the equation and allows for a range of possible solutions. The specific value of the constant of integration can be determined by applying the given initial condition.

5. Can a differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a differential equation can have multiple solutions. In this case, the solutions may differ by a constant of integration or may be different functions entirely. It is important to check the validity of the solution by plugging it back into the original equation and verifying that it satisfies the equation.