Where Can I Find a PDF Copy of Spivak Calculus on Manifolds?

In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of finding a free and legal PDF copy of "Spivak calculus on manifolds." It is mentioned that the book is likely copyrighted and can be found for purchase on Amazon. One person also mentions having a Spanish PDF version, while another reminds everyone to support the author by purchasing his books.
siyacar
I hope this is not the wrong place to ask this...
Can anybody tell me if it is possible to find "Spivak calculus on manifolds" on line (a PDF copy for example)
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
siyacar said:
I hope this is not the wrong place to ask this...
Can anybody tell me if it is possible to find "Spivak calculus on manifolds" on line (a PDF copy for example)
Thanks

It looks like it is a copyrighted publication, so it's not likely there is a free and legal copy available. Amazon has used copies, it looks like:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0805390219/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
well I do have the material book, and a PDF, but it is in spanish, I don't remember where I found it

This may sound hopelessly naive, but wish to I remind everyone that Mike's income derives perhaps solely from his sale of his writings. If we find them beneficial, it behooves us to pay for them.

well, I paid for both of his calculus books, how could I not? they are simply great, but anyway books in Mexico are a LOT cheaper than in the US, I don't really know why :S.

1. What is "Spivak calculus on manifolds"?

"Spivak calculus on manifolds" refers to a mathematical approach to studying multivariable calculus on curved surfaces or spaces called manifolds. It involves utilizing concepts from differential geometry, topology, and analysis to understand and solve problems on these manifolds.

2. How is "Spivak calculus on manifolds" different from traditional calculus?

"Spivak calculus on manifolds" differs from traditional calculus in that it deals with functions and equations on curved surfaces, rather than on flat, Euclidean spaces. This requires a different set of tools and techniques, including the use of differential forms and tensor calculus.

3. What are some applications of "Spivak calculus on manifolds"?

There are many applications of "Spivak calculus on manifolds" in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. Some examples include studying the motion of particles on curved surfaces, calculating the curvature of space-time in general relativity, and developing algorithms for image and signal processing.

4. Is "Spivak calculus on manifolds" difficult to learn?

"Spivak calculus on manifolds" can be challenging to learn, as it involves advanced mathematical concepts and requires a strong foundation in traditional calculus. However, with dedication and practice, it can be understood and applied effectively.

5. Are there any resources available for learning "Spivak calculus on manifolds"?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning "Spivak calculus on manifolds," including textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. Some popular resources include "Calculus on Manifolds" by Michael Spivak and "Multivariable Mathematics" by Theodore Shifrin.