Proving Differentiability of W(x) in the Context of U(x) = 2 + x^2 + x*W(x)

• Thread starter omni
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, to prove that U(x) is differentiable at x = 0, it must be shown that W(x) is also differentiable at x = 0. However, this cannot be proven as W(x) is only assumed to be continuous and not necessarily differentiable. Therefore, the statement to be proven is false. Instead, the function U(x) can be directly shown to be differentiable at x = 0 by applying the definition of a derivative and using the fact that W(x) is continuous.
omni
1)be W(x) Continuous function for any X.
U(x)=2+x^2+x*W(x)

Prove that U(x) are Differentiable in X=0

well i know that i need to Prove that W(x) is also Differentiable but how i Prove it?

thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't! You have no control over "W". You are told that W is continuous and that is all you can assume about W. If you believe that W must also be differentiable for the conclusion to be true then you believe that the statement you are asked to prove is false!

For example, suppose W(x)= |x| which is continuous for all x but not differentiable at x= 0. Then [itex]U(x)= 2+ x^2+ x|x|[/itex]. If x> 0, that is the same as [itex]U(x)= 2+ x^2+ x^2= 2+ 2x^2[/itex]. That has derivative [itex]U'= 4x[/itex] which goes to 0 as x goes to 0. If x< 0, that is the same as [itex]U(x)= 2+ x^2- x^2= 2[/itex] which has derivative 0 for all x> 0. Again that goes to 0 as x goes to 0.

That requires knowing that a function, f, is differentiable at x= a if and only if [itex]\lim_{x\to a^-}f'(x)= \lim_{x\to a^+}f'(x)[/itex] which is a result of the fact that, even though a derivative is not necessarily continuous it must still satisfy the "intermediate value property".

More direct would be to calculate the derivative at 0 directly from the definition:
[tex]\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{U(h)- U(0)}{h}= \lim_{h\to 0}\frac{(2+ h^2+ h|h|)- 2}{h}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{h\to 0^+}\frac{h^2+ h|h|}{h}= \lim_{h\to 0^+}\frac{2h^2}{h}= \lim_{h\to 0^+}2h= 0[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{h\to 0^-}\frac{h^2+ h|h|}{h}= \lim_{h\to 0^-}\frac{0}{h}= \lim_{h\to 0^+}0= 0[/tex]
Since those two limits exist and are equal,
[tex]\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{h^2+ h|h|}{h}[/tex]
itself exists and the function is differentiable.

Do that with [itex]U(x)= 2+ x^2+ xW(x)[/itex] using only the fact that W is continuous.

hi omni! :smile:

(have a delta: δ and an epsilon: ε and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

(i assume you mean that it is differentiable at x = 0 ?)

no, just use the δ,ε definition of continuous at x = 0 to show that xW is differentiable at x = 0 …

what do you get? :smile:

Mm
tiny-tim said:
hi omni! :smile:

(have a delta: δ and an epsilon: ε and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

(i assume you mean that it is differentiable at x = 0 ?)

no, just use the δ,ε definition of continuous at x = 0 to show that xW is differentiable at x = 0 …

what do you get? :smile:

xW(x) need not be differentiable at zero. Hallsofivy already gave a good counter example.

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
Mm

xW(x) need not be differentiable at zero. Hallsofivy already gave a good counter example.

no, he gave a good example of it being true :smile:

Oops. I guess I should read more carefully next time. Sorry about that; please carry on!

@OP

The fact that as x->0 the function g(x) =x goes to zero will give you a feel for why this is true. Also since in every delta neighbourhood of 0, W(x) is bounded it is not impossible that xW(x) goes to zero as x goes to zero.

Last edited:
hi thanks to all of u about the answers.
i did like this (i diden't Write the lim and h-->0 but i know is need to be there)
f' = [U(x+h)-U(x)]/h = {[2+(x+h)² + (x+h)*Z(x+h)] - [2+x²+x*Z(x)]}/h =

[2+x²+2hx+h²+x*Z(x+h)+h*Z(x+h) - 2-x²-x*Z(x)]/h = [2hx+h²+x*Z(x+h)+h*Z(x+h)-x*Z(x)] / h =

= 2x+h+[(x+h)*Z(x+h) - x*Z(x)]/h
how i keep on from here?

thanks

1. What is a function in science?

A function in science is a mathematical relationship between two or more variables, where one variable (the dependent variable) is determined by the other variable(s) (the independent variable(s)). In simpler terms, a function is a way to describe how one quantity changes in relation to another quantity.

2. How do you represent a function?

A function can be represented in several ways, including algebraically, graphically, or through a table of values. In algebraic representation, a function is typically written as f(x) or y = f(x), where f is the name of the function and x is the independent variable. In graphical representation, a function is shown as a line or curve on a graph, with the independent variable on the x-axis and the dependent variable on the y-axis. In a table of values, the values of the independent and dependent variables are listed in columns.

3. What is the difference between a linear and a nonlinear function?

A linear function is a function that has a constant rate of change and can be represented by a straight line on a graph. In contrast, a nonlinear function does not have a constant rate of change and cannot be represented by a straight line on a graph. Nonlinear functions can take on various shapes, such as curves or exponential growth/decay.

4. How can you determine if a function is one-to-one?

A function is one-to-one if each input (x-value) has a unique output (y-value). In other words, no two different inputs can produce the same output. To determine if a function is one-to-one, you can use the horizontal line test: if a horizontal line intersects the graph of the function at more than one point, then the function is not one-to-one.

5. What is the difference between a domain and a range in a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible inputs, or x-values, that the function can take. The range of a function is the set of all possible outputs, or y-values, that the function can produce. In other words, the domain is the set of independent variables and the range is the set of dependent variables in a function.