Proving at Most One Real Root of x³-15x+C in [-2,2]

• Thread starter alexk307
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Root
In summary, using Rolle's theorem and the Intermediate Value Theorem, it can be shown that the equation x3-15x+C=0 has at most one real root in the interval [-2,2]. Assuming there are two roots, Rolle's theorem would require a point where the derivative is equal to 0, but this point lies outside of the interval. Therefore, there can only be one root in the given interval.
alexk307

Homework Statement

Show that the equation x3-15x+C=0 has at most one real root in [-2,2]

Homework Equations

Rolle's Theorem, and Intermediate Value Theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I showed that there is a root in [-2,2] by use of Intermediate Value Theorem.

f(-2)<0
f(2)>0

But then to show there is not two roots, I tried to use Rolle's theorem which says that if f'(x)=0 then there must be two points f(a)=f(b). I found that f'(x)=0 at sqrt(5). Which I then tried to plug back in the original function in hopes that this point would lie above the x axis, therefore it wouldn't cross the x-axis twice. But because of the C I cannot prove this because I can always make C smaller and smaller in order to make f(sqrt(5))<0.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rolle's theorem tells us that any function which is continuous on [a,b], differentiable on ]a,b[ and has the property that f(a)=f(b), must have a c such that [tex]f'(c)=0[/tex].

Now, assume that f(x)=x3-15x+C has two roots a and b in [-2,2]. Then f(a)=f(b). So what does Rolle's theorem yield?

micromass said:
Rolle's theorem tells us that any function which is continuous on [a,b], differentiable on ]a,b[ and has the property that f(a)=f(b), must have a c such that [tex]f'(c)=0[/tex].

Now, assume that f(x)=x3-15x+C has two roots a and b in [-2,2]. Then f(a)=f(b). So what does Rolle's theorem yield?

oh! okay so that sqrt(5) is beyond the interval therefore proving that there is only one root in [-2,2].
Thank you

correct!

What is the equation being studied?

The equation being studied is x³-15x+C, where C is a constant, and it is being analyzed for the existence of at most one real root in the interval [-2,2].

Why is it important to prove the existence of at most one real root?

Proving the existence of at most one real root is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the equation and its solutions. It can also provide insight into the relationship between the coefficients of the equation and the existence of real roots.

What is the significance of the interval [-2,2]?

The interval [-2,2] is significant because it is the range of values being considered for the real root. It helps to limit the possible solutions and provides a specific region to analyze for the existence of a real root.

How can the equation be analyzed to prove the existence of at most one real root?

The equation can be analyzed by using algebraic techniques such as the Rational Root Theorem or by graphing the equation and observing its behavior in the given interval. These methods help to determine the number of real roots and their approximate locations.

What are some applications of understanding the existence of at most one real root?

Understanding the existence of at most one real root can have practical applications in various fields of science and engineering. It can be used in solving optimization problems, predicting the behavior of systems with one degree of freedom, and determining the stability of a system.