Show Non-Existing Limits - How to Prove a Limit Does Not Exist

• Thread starter Dr-NiKoN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that a limit does not exist, specifically using the example of \lim_{x\to 0}cos(\frac{1}{x}). Various methods are suggested, such as choosing an arbitrary number L and finding a neighbourhood U where |L-cos(1/x)|>1/2, or finding two sequences that approach 0 and showing that the function values do not approach the same number. The conversation also touches on the concept of a function having a limit at zero and the number of times a function can touch 0 in a given range.
Dr-NiKoN
How do you show that a limit doesn't exist?

[itex]\lim_{x\to 0}cos(\frac{1}{x})[/itex]

This doesn't have any limit, since it will go from -1 to 1 when x goes towards 0, but how do I show that mathematically?

Physics news on Phys.org
Choose an arbitrary number called "L". (Think of it as between -1 and 1 if you like)
Show that there exists a neighbourhood U of 0, so that given |L|<1, there will always be some x in U so that |L-cos(1/x)|>1/2

arildno said:
Choose an arbitrary number called "L". (Think of it as between -1 and 1 if you like)
Show that there exists a neighbourhood U of 0, so that given |L|<1, there will always be some x in U so that |L-cos(1/x)|>1/2

or, if say he/she has not had analytical training yet, he/she could just set that equal to the empty set since the solution set is empty.

find two sequences that approach 0 and then show that the functions of those sequences do not approach the same number. an easy way would be to find a sequence that goes to y = 1 and another to y = 0. if you don't understand then just say so.

find two sequences that approach 0 and then show that the functions of those sequences do not approach the same number. an easy way would be to find a sequence that goes to y = 1 and another to y = 0. if you don't understand then just say so
Is that valid proof?

Couldn't a function have such a curve that at one point it goes towards 0 and a later point goes towards 1 and then at a later point goes towards 0 and continues that way as x goes towards inf?

Maybe I misunderstood. We are not supposed to show this yet, so It's probably something we will learn trough analysis later.

This is certainly a correct proof:
Every sequence converging to x0 will have members arbitrarily close to x0.
Let Yn, Xn be two such sequences.
Evidently, if:
[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}(f(X_{n})-f(Y_{n}))\neq0[/tex]
then f cannot have a limit at x0

Dr-NiKoN said:
Is that valid proof?

Couldn't a function have such a curve that at one point it goes towards 0 and a later point goes towards 1 and then at a later point goes towards 0 and continues that way as x goes towards inf?

Maybe I misunderstood. We are not supposed to show this yet, so It's probably something we will learn trough analysis later.

I think you misunderstood slightly, it's important that both of the sequences are converging to 0, but the function's values on these sequences converge to different values.

More precisely, we want two sequences, [tex]x_1,x_2,\ldots[/tex] and [tex]y_1,y_2,\ldots[/tex] where [tex]\lim_{n\to 0}x_n=\lim_{n\to 0}y_n=0[/tex] but [tex]\lim_{n\to 0}f(x_n)=1\neq 0=\lim_{n\to 0}f(y_n)[/tex]

(1 and 0 were chosen here because they are convenient for this specific problem)

This is certainly a correct way of doing things. If a function has a limit at zero, than on any sequence converging to zero, the values of the function along that sequence must equal this limit (this is worth trying to prove if you can).

I would like to add that cogito's and shmoe's way is often the simplest manner to complete a proof.

Ok, here is a real-life problem I'm dealing with.
[itex]f(x) = \frac{1}{x}\sin(\frac{1}{x})[/itex]
How many times will f(x) = 0 in the range [0, ->].

I have:
(Check if it touches 0 as x goes towards inf.)
[itex]f(x) = \lim_{x\to \infty}\frac{1}{x}[/itex]
[itex]g(x) = \lim_{x\to \infty}\sin(\frac{1}{x})[/itex]

[itex]\lim_{x\to \infty}f(x) + g(x) = 0[/itex]

Thus, no touching that way.
(Check if x touches 0 as x goes towards 0)
[itex]f(x) = \lim_{x\to 0}\frac{1}{x}[/itex]
[itex]g(x) = \lim_{x\to 0}\sin(\frac{1}{x})[/itex]

[itex]\lim_{x\to 0}f(x) + g(x) = undefined[/itex]

Is this good enough proof that:
[itex]f(x) = \frac{1}{x}\sin(\frac{1}{x})[/itex]
Will touch 0 an infinite amount of times in the range [0, ->]?
Or is it finite, because x = 0 at some point?

Last edited:
It's a lot simpler:
Note that sin(y)=0, then [tex]y=n\pi[/tex] for some integer n.

Hence, at [tex]x=\frac{1}{n\pi}[/tex], you'll have the zeroes f
(an infinite amount of them)

Damn, there's so many different variations in calculus. Seems you need to keep an eye up for almost anything.

Thanks though, it makes perfect sense, I'm just bitter I didn't see it myself :)

And there's the calculus of variations, as well..:wink:

1. How can you prove that a limit does not exist?

To prove that a limit does not exist, you must show that the left-hand limit and the right-hand limit of the function do not approach the same value. This can be done by finding two different paths or approaches to the limit and showing that they lead to different values.

2. What is the importance of proving non-existing limits?

Proving non-existing limits is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function and determine its discontinuities. It also allows us to identify points where a function is undefined, which is crucial in many real-world applications.

3. Can a limit exist at a point but not at a nearby point?

Yes, a limit can exist at a point but not at a nearby point. This is known as a removable discontinuity, where the function is undefined at a specific point but can still have a limit at that point if the left-hand and right-hand limits approach the same value.

4. What are some common types of non-existing limits?

Some common types of non-existing limits include infinite limits, oscillating limits, and jump discontinuities. An infinite limit occurs when the left-hand and right-hand limits approach positive or negative infinity. An oscillating limit occurs when the left-hand and right-hand limits approach different values in a repeating pattern. A jump discontinuity occurs when the left-hand and right-hand limits approach different values with a finite gap in between.

5. Can a limit not exist if the function is continuous?

Yes, a limit can still not exist even if the function is continuous. This can happen when the function has a vertical asymptote or when the left-hand and right-hand limits approach different values at a point. In these cases, the function may be continuous everywhere except at that specific point where the limit does not exist.