Frequency of a Spark Timer, 0.10s

In summary, the person is asking for help understanding the frequency of a spark timer set at a period of 0.10s. The answer is 1.0 x 10¹ Hz, and the explanation is that frequency is equal to 1 divided by the period in seconds. The person initially struggled to understand this concept but eventually gained understanding with the help of others.
nmichelle
Hey, I just signed up and I've already got a question. =)
The answer was in the book but I don't get the answer.

Determie the frequency of a spark timer set at a period of 0.10s.
Ans: 1.0 x 10¹ Hz.

The book only says;
"An intervl of six spaces produced by a spark timer represents a time of 0.10s. The period of vibration, which is the time between successive dots, is the reciprocal of the frequency.

6/60s = 0.10s
The answer is literally staring me right in the face and the explanation might be really easy but for it's just not making sense to me. Can anyone help? Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Frequency(in hertz) = 1 / period (in seconds). I can't really explain it any other way without writing several paragraphs but that's mostly to my rambling nature. 1 Hertz = s^(-1) or (cycles/second) depending on how you look at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since there are 6 sparks in 60 seconds, there is is one spark every 10 seconds. How many sparks per second? Or, even easier, how many sparks per minute?

Now what does "frequency" MEAN??

Ah. I think I get it now. Thanks a lot!

1. What is a spark timer?

A spark timer is a scientific instrument used to measure the frequency of an event, such as the vibration of a tuning fork or the rotation of a wheel, by creating a series of sparks at a constant time interval.

2. How does a spark timer work?

A spark timer works by using high voltage electricity to create a spark at a constant interval. The sparks are then recorded on a strip of paper or film, allowing scientists to measure the frequency of the event.

3. Why is the frequency of a spark timer measured in 0.10s?

The frequency of a spark timer is measured in 0.10s (or 1/10th of a second) because this is the standard time interval used in most spark timer experiments. It allows for accurate measurements and comparisons between different events.

4. How is the frequency of a spark timer calculated?

The frequency of a spark timer can be calculated by dividing the number of sparks recorded in a given time interval (usually 0.10s) by the time interval itself. This will give you the frequency in hertz (Hz).

5. What are some applications of a spark timer?

A spark timer has many applications in scientific research, including measuring the frequency of sound waves, analyzing the motion of objects, and studying the properties of materials. It is also commonly used in physics and engineering experiments.