Flow Rate Calculation for Air Pressure in Cylinder

In summary, the student is seeking help with creating a simulator to control air pressure in a cylinder. They need to calculate the flow rate based on the size of the input opening and use the pressure in the cylinder to determine if the inlet should be opened or closed. The student has tried using a calculator and formulas from a website, but the answers do not add up. They are looking for alternative methods to calculate air flow.
rivo

Homework Statement

Greetings!
I am a student from Estonia and I have a little problem with my assignment. I have to make a simulator that controls air pressure in a cylinder.
I need to calculate how much pressure flows into a cylinder each second. To do that I need to know the the flow rate depending on the size
of the input opening. By knowing the pressure in the cylinder I can see if I need to open the inlet a little or close it. My assignment is theoretical
so any data needed can be chosen randomly. But if size does matter then the inlet pipe max diameter should be smaller than 10 mm. I've tried to look
for a formula but have not found a good one.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried a calculator and formulas from here http://www.pipeflowcalculations.com/pipeflowtheory/pressure-drop-equation-in-isothermal-flow.php bur my answers do not add up.
Are there any better ways to calculate air flow.If someone can help me with my problem, I would be very grateful.

Best wishes,
Rivo

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The formula for calculating the pressure drop in isothermal flow of an incompressible fluid (such as air) can be expressed as:P_1 - P_2 = (ρ/2)*(V_1^2 - V_2^2) where P_1 and P_2 are the pressures at points 1 and 2, respectively; ρ is the density of the fluid; and V_1 and V_2 are the velocities of the fluid at points 1 and 2, respectively. This formula can be used to calculate the pressure drop across a given section of pipe or tubing of known length, diameter, and fluid velocity.

1. What is flow rate calculation for air pressure in cylinder?

Flow rate calculation for air pressure in cylinder is a method used to determine the amount of air that can be compressed and released from a cylinder in a given amount of time. It is measured in units of volume per unit of time, such as cubic feet per minute (CFM) or liters per minute (LPM).

2. Why is flow rate calculation important for air pressure in cylinder?

Flow rate calculation is important for air pressure in cylinder because it allows us to understand how much air can be supplied to a system in a given amount of time. This information is crucial for designing and maintaining systems that require a consistent air flow rate, such as HVAC systems, pneumatic tools, and air compressors.

3. How is flow rate calculation for air pressure in cylinder performed?

The flow rate calculation for air pressure in cylinder involves several variables, including the cylinder's size, air pressure, and the flow coefficient of the valve. These variables can be plugged into a formula, such as the Bernoulli's equation, to calculate the flow rate in CFM or LPM.

4. What factors can affect the flow rate calculation for air pressure in cylinder?

There are several factors that can affect the flow rate calculation for air pressure in cylinder, such as changes in air temperature, the type and condition of the valve, and the presence of any obstructions or leaks in the system. It is important to consider these factors when performing the calculation to ensure accurate results.

5. How can flow rate calculation for air pressure in cylinder be optimized?

To optimize the flow rate calculation for air pressure in cylinder, it is important to maintain the system and its components regularly. This includes keeping the valves clean and in good condition, regularly checking for leaks, and adjusting the air pressure as needed. Additionally, using flow meters can provide accurate and real-time measurements of the flow rate, allowing for better optimization of the system.