Basic math converting factors.

• Thread starter davie08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factors
In summary, use the given conversion factors to complete the calculations, with the units canceling along the chain to leave the desired units. For (a), 15.2 kern is equivalent to 60.8 flam. For (b), 47.65 sapper is equivalent to 0.6 kern. For (c), 0.845 flam is equivalent to 1.06 folt. For (d), 1 burb is equivalent to 3.75 folt. Keep in mind that significant figures apply throughout the calculations.
davie08

Homework Statement

use the following conversion factors to complete the calculations that follow
4.00 flam=1.00kern 5.00 folt= 1.00kern

1.00 burb=3.00 flam 1.00 sapper= 6.00 folt

a)15.2 kern equals how many flam?

b)47.65 sapper equals how many kern?

c)0.845 flam equals how many folt?

d)one burb is equivalent to how many sapper?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) 15.2 x 4.00= 60.8 flam

b)47.65x6.00=285.9
285.9/5=57.18

c)im not sure where to begin for this one I am at work right now but i will add my own attempt when I get back home if anyone wants to give me a start that would be good.

d)for this one I am pretty sure I can do it but I have to leave work right now so I will get back to this in about 45 minutes.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can always multiply a number by one and leave it unchanged. So set up your given equivalences as ratios that are equal to one:

[tex] \frac{4.00 flam}{1.00 kern} = 1 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{5.00 folt}{1.00 kern} = 1 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1.00 burb}{3.00 flam} = 1 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1.00 sapper}{6.00 folt} = 1 [/tex]

Conversions are then just a matter of successive multiplication by the appropriate ratios (or their inverses) so that the units cancel along the chain, leaving the units you want.

So, for example, for item (a) (which you already answered):

[tex] 15.2 kern \times \frac{4.00 flam}{1.00 kern} = 60.8 flam [/tex]

thanks for the help gneill I think I have c and d right using what you said here's my solutions to c and d.

c)0.845flam(1kern/4flam)= 0.21125 kern
0.21125kern(5folt/1kern)=1.01foltd) 1burb(3flam/1burb)=3flam
3flam(1kern/4flam)=.75kern
.75kern(5folt/1kern)=3.75folt
3.75folt(1sapper/6folt)=0.6sapper

the final answer for d would be with only one significant figure right?
also is it okay if i put brackets vs an equal sign when showing my work?

Last edited:
For c, you might want to check your rounding. Should be 1.06 folt.

For d, I think you want to carry 3 significant digits. 1 burb, without a decimal point, implies an "exact" number. The sig figs of the conversion constants will apply.

ya I don't know where i got 1.01 from thanks for pointing that out. that also makes sense for d because it does show 1.00.

for a number like 190 would the significant digits be 2 or 3? and another one is 30.2100 would this be 6?

http://www.usca.edu/chemistry/genchem/sigfig.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks that gave me my answers.

1. What are basic math converting factors?

Basic math converting factors are numerical values used to convert between different units of measurement or quantities. They are typically expressed as a ratio or proportion and are used to simplify calculations and solve problems.

2. Why is it important to understand basic math converting factors?

Understanding basic math converting factors is important because it allows us to convert between different units of measurement or quantities, which is necessary in many real-life situations. For example, converting between units of length, weight, or time is crucial in fields such as science, engineering, and finance.

3. How do you use basic math converting factors?

To use basic math converting factors, you first need to identify the units of measurement or quantities you want to convert from and to. Then, you can use the given conversion factor to set up a proportion and solve for the desired unit. Alternatively, you can use dimensional analysis, which involves multiplying the given quantity by a series of conversion factors until the desired unit is achieved.

4. What are some common basic math converting factors?

Some common basic math converting factors include conversion between units of length (e.g. inches to centimeters), weight (e.g. pounds to kilograms), volume (e.g. liters to gallons), time (e.g. seconds to minutes), and temperature (e.g. Fahrenheit to Celsius). It is important to note that the specific conversion factor may vary depending on the system of measurement used (e.g. metric vs. imperial).

5. Can basic math converting factors be applied to all types of measurements?

Basic math converting factors can be applied to most types of measurements, as long as there is a known conversion factor between the units being converted. However, it is important to be aware of any limitations or special cases, such as non-linear relationships or different systems of measurement, which may require additional steps in the conversion process.