What is the Proof of the Pythagorean Theorem?

In summary, the Pythagorean theorem can be proven in multiple ways, including using geometric proofs and algebraic manipulations. Euclid's proof, while detailed, is not as intuitive as other proofs, such as the one shown in proof 2. Regardless of the method used, the Pythagorean theorem is a fundamental and beautiful concept that has been used for centuries. It is important to understand the proof behind it in order to fully appreciate its significance.
Nano-Passion
I just learned the proof for the Pythagorean theorem.. my mind was blown! =D Simply amazing.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Where? (link, please) I didn't know there was a proof... really.

Nevermind, Google was of help.

Did anyone else just assume it was a natural implication of the metric of the reals? I feel dumb now.

Are we talking about http://www.cut-the-knot.org/pythagoras/index.shtml"

The Pythagorean Proposition contains 360+ proofs of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
make a square. make another square inscribed in it, with its vertices on the edges of the square. label edge lengths that are congruent. now, look for shapes and areas and triangles and stuff.
. ._b_____a__
. | . ./ .\ . . . |
a| ./c. . c \ . | b
. |/ . . . . . . \|
. |\ . c. . c. /|
b| . .\ . . . / .| a
. |____\. /__ |
. . . a . . . b

pretend its a square.

now, because of area formulas,
(a+b)^2 = c^2 + 4* ab/2
a²+2ab+b² = c² + 2ab
a²+b² = c²

http://www.myastrologybook.com/PythagoreanTheorem16c.gif

I liked this one particularly, the one in the post above is pretty awesome too.

I am now falling in love with proofs... I can't believe I've been using this formula since middle school without knowing its meaning and beauty !

Nano-Passion said:
PythagoreanTheorem16c.gif

I liked this one particularly, the one in the post above is pretty awesome too.

Well, that one you mention isn't really a proof at all, it just sort of shows that it works for the case of a triangle with side lengths of 3, 4, and 5.

DarthPickley said:
Well, that one you mention isn't really a proof at all, it just sort of shows that it works for the case of a triangle with side lengths of 3, 4, and 5.

Are you sure? It works for any right angle triangle. And the Pythagorean theorem works only for right angle triangles. So?

Nano-Passion said:
Are you sure? It works for any right angle triangle. And the Pythagorean theorem works only for right angle triangles. So?

First of all, it doesn't work if either of a/b or a/c is an irrational number.
Secondly, it is not proof, it is more of an observation. You need to know lenghts of all sides prior (before) to drawing such a picture. So, you assumed (lenghts of sizes) that theorem works before even drawing such a thing.

In true proof you need to start with right angle triangle of general lenghts of sides then somehow prove the formula.

A right triangle can be uniquely described by a side length and an angle [itex]\phi[/itex]. Let [itex]c[/itex] be the hypotenuse. By dimensional analysis, the area of the triangle must be [itex]c^2f(\phi)[/itex], where f is some unknown function of phi (pretend we don't know trig). Now, split the triangle into two smaller triangles by drawing a line perpendicular to the hypotenuse that bisects the right angle. Let the hypotenuses of the two smaller triangles be [itex]b[/itex] and [itex]a[/itex]. All three triangles are similar triangles. Thus, the areas of the smaller triangles are [itex]b^2f(\phi)[/itex] and [itex]a^2f(\phi)[/itex], where f is the same function as before (due to the similarity of the triangles). Since the two smaller triangles make up the bigger triangle, their areas must add up to the area of the larger triangle:

[tex]a^2f(\phi) + b^2f(\phi) = c^2f(\phi),[/tex]
and hence
[tex]a^2 + b^2 = c^2.[/tex]

I really like the geometric proof. The first time I saw it I stared at it for a long time.

Nano-Passion said:

It's an illustration of the Pythagorean Theorem; not a proof, although, if you take the result as a given, then it shows the Pythagorean Theorem works on all similar triangles (6x8x10, 9x12x15, etc).

Plus, while what you say is technically true, it kind of bugs me the way you say it only works for right triangles. How about using the Pythagorean Theorem to find the diagonal of a cube? In other words, l^2 + w^2 + h^2 = d^2, (with length, width, height, and diagonal). Or the diagonal of a 4 dimensional hypercube? Or a 5D hypercube?

Technically, you're compiling a series of right triangles with each additional dimension, but it's still pretty cool that the end result is that the Pythagorean Theorem works in any number of dimensions; not just on triangles.

Or, another version of the Pythagorean Theorem (or at least it looks different until you look closer at it). If you create a 3-dimensional vector, you can measure the angle between that vector and each of the three axes of your coordinate system. If you square the cosines of each of those angles and add them up, they always equal 1.

gb7nash said:
I really like the geometric proof. The first time I saw it I stared at it for a long time.

do you mean the one supplied by Euclid in his Elements book?

that one... its so impossible to understand without staring at it for a long time!
Its kind of confusing. I don't really like it, mainly because it is one of the least intuitive proofs possible for a pretty simple theorem.

on the other hand, euclid and the other ancient greeks had no knowledge of algebra, so instead of doing more advanced logical processes (like cancellation of multiplication and addition), they just did it by adding in new lines, angles, and other things.

Proof 2 on this page:

http://www.jimloy.com/geometry/pythag.htm

Euclid's proof (proof 4) looks a lot more detailed (for reasons that you mention)

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem is a fundamental principle in geometry that relates the three sides of a right triangle. It states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

Who discovered the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem is named after the Greek mathematician Pythagoras, who lived around 500 BC. However, there is evidence that this theorem was known to earlier civilizations such as the Babylonians and the Egyptians.

How is the Pythagorean theorem used in real life?

The Pythagorean theorem has many practical applications in fields such as construction, engineering, and navigation. It can be used to calculate distances, heights, and angles in real-world scenarios, making it an essential tool for solving everyday problems.

What is a proof of the Pythagorean theorem?

A proof is a logical explanation that shows how a mathematical statement or theorem is true. In the case of the Pythagorean theorem, there are various proofs that use different methods, such as algebra, geometry, and trigonometry, to demonstrate its validity.

Can the Pythagorean theorem be generalized to other shapes?

Yes, the Pythagorean theorem can be extended to other shapes in higher dimensions, such as squares in a 3D cube or rectangles in a 4D hypercube. This generalization is known as the Pythagorean theorem in n-dimensional space and is used in advanced mathematics and physics.