Spatial Wavelength of a Halbach array (Magnetism)

In summary: The spatial wavelength of a Halbach array is the symbol lambda. This is a difficult question to answer because the equation that determines the transition speed requires the spatial wavelength of the Halbach arrays to be known. If anyone can offer any help, they would be greatly appreciated.
upabove
Hello everybody

Basically as the topic states: How can you calculate "The spatial wavelength of a Halbach array" (symbol lambda)?

Context:
The reason I ask is that since I've got bored during my easter holidays I decided to try a wee science project and try and make a model of an inductrack type MAGLEV train (like they did in this paper here http://www.osti.gov/bridge/purl.cov...61D07968C50E?purl=/632505-qkYgX3/webviewable/)

Basically for this model I need to make an inductive "track" for the train to run on which will be made up of copper coils, the train will levitate above this because permanent magnets( arranged in a halbach array( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halbach_array )) on the train will induce a current and hence magnet field in the coils once it begins traveling above a certain transition speed. However to stop me wasting lots of money on copper wire I need to try and calculate how much Inductance the track needs to achieve a realistic and satisfactory transition speed.

According to the paper I've linked above this is determined by the equation

transition speed = (lambda/2pi)(R/L)

R and L represent the resistance and inductance of the track and I've got my good old trusty multimeter for checking that, but lambda stands for the spatial wavelength of the Halbach arrays and I have no idea what that is let alone how to calculate it.

Therefore if anyone is able to offer any help it would be greatly appreciated :)

Many thanks

P.S apologies is I act dense or miss anything obvious in this thread but I have done anything with electronics since about GCSE physics so I'm abit rusty :P

Likes Leo Liu
Physics news on Phys.org
Does anybody have any idea?

If not does anyone have any suggestions of any other resources where I might be able to find out this information for myself?

Many thanks

1. What is the spatial wavelength of a Halbach array?

The spatial wavelength of a Halbach array refers to the distance between two repeating patterns of magnetic field strength in the array. It is typically measured in millimeters (mm) or meters (m) depending on the size of the array.

2. How is the spatial wavelength of a Halbach array calculated?

The spatial wavelength of a Halbach array is calculated by dividing the circumference of the magnet by the number of poles in the array. For example, if the circumference is 100 mm and there are 4 poles, the spatial wavelength would be 25 mm.

3. Can the spatial wavelength of a Halbach array be adjusted?

Yes, the spatial wavelength of a Halbach array can be adjusted by changing the number of poles in the array or by altering the size and shape of the individual magnets within the array. This can be done to optimize the array for specific applications.

4. What is the significance of the spatial wavelength in a Halbach array?

The spatial wavelength in a Halbach array is important because it determines the strength and direction of the magnetic field. A shorter spatial wavelength can result in a stronger and more focused magnetic field, while a longer spatial wavelength can provide a wider and more dispersed magnetic field.

5. How does the spatial wavelength in a Halbach array affect its performance?

The spatial wavelength in a Halbach array directly affects its performance by influencing the uniformity and strength of the magnetic field. A shorter spatial wavelength can improve the efficiency and power of the array, while a longer spatial wavelength may result in weaker and less consistent magnetic fields.