Solve Order of Operations: x= 48÷2(9+3)

• Thread starter frozonecom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operations
In summary, the expression 48÷2(9+3) should be avoided due to its ambiguity and potential for different answers. To avoid this problem, use parentheses to clearly indicate the order of operations.
frozonecom

Homework Statement

okay. So here is the problem:

x= 48÷2(9+3)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

217649_1511536247399_1804180958_914640_856132_n.jpg

So, what I am thinking, is how should the order of operation should be followed. There are different answers when tried using a different order of solving. So, could you please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
The method on the right more closely follows the rules for order of operations. It does begin by changing the division to the equivalent multiplication. After that it does the operations in an order consistent with the rules for order of operations.

The method on the left uses some properties of equations to rewrite the equation as an equivalent equation in a number of its steps. It also makes use of the associative law and does some rather fancy division of fractions. (It's fancy if you're asking this basic a question.) All the steps are the result of legal algebraic operations, so you get the correct result for x.

The order of operations should be followed, period. I'm confused that you said that you get different answers, but the two attempts you attached give you the same answer.

If you did a search, you would have found this thread, which has the exact same question:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=488334"

I suggest you read this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
eumyang said:
The order of operations should be followed, period. I'm confused that you said that you get different answers, but the two attempts you attached give you the same answer.

If you did a search, you would have found this thread, which has the exact same question:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=488334"

I suggest you read this thread.

Yeah. I have found that thread. But, with so many words and posts, I'm very much confused on which to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
To summarize that very long thread, expressions such as 48÷2(9+3) should be avoided because of their ambiguity; namely, is 48 being divided by just 2, or is it being divided by [2 * 12]?

To make matters worse, two different calculator models from the same company yield two different answers for the same expression.

To avoid this problem use parentheses to indicate clearly what you're dividing by. If you mean
[tex]\frac{48}{2 \cdot 12}[/tex]

write it as 48/(2 * 12)

Here the parenthese make it clear that the multiplication should occur before the division occurs.

1. What is the order of operations?

The order of operations is a set of rules that dictate the sequence in which mathematical operations should be performed. The acronym PEMDAS is commonly used to remember the order: Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right).

2. How do I solve equations with multiple operations?

To solve equations with multiple operations, you must follow the order of operations. This means that you must first perform any operations inside parentheses, then solve any exponents, and finally, perform any multiplication and division from left to right. Lastly, you must perform any addition and subtraction from left to right.

3. What is the correct way to solve the equation x= 48÷2(9+3)?

The correct way to solve this equation is to first solve what is inside the parentheses, which is 9+3=12. Then, you must perform the division 48÷2=24. Finally, you must perform the multiplication 24(12)=288. Therefore, the solution is x=288.

4. Why is the order of operations important?

The order of operations is important because it ensures that there is a standard way to solve mathematical expressions. Without following a specific order, different individuals may arrive at different solutions for the same equation, leading to confusion and incorrect results.

5. Can the order of operations be changed?

No, the order of operations cannot be changed. The rules of PEMDAS have been established to provide a consistent and accurate approach to solving mathematical equations. Attempting to change the order of operations could result in incorrect solutions.