Color physics and color perception

In summary: When you look at something white, your eye is receiving all the colors at once. In summary, the way we see colors is based on our brain's perception of light frequencies.
danihel
hi
i've been intrigued by certain "inconsistency" between light frequencies and the way we see them for some time by now.
if you mix red and yellow you get orange, if you mix red and green you get yellow, blue and yellow makes green, blue and green makes cyan. Now in all of these cases by mixing two colors corresponding to two different light frequencies you got pretty much a color corresponding to the light frequency somewhere in the middle.
But if you mix blue and red you'll get violet which is of higher frequency then blue, red being the bottom of visible spectrum. Is there some kind of biological reason why does the visible spectrum create a color wheel in our brain?
I'm not physicist and i don't understand the math of composing waves, could it be that our brain interprets different light frequency compositions as the same one color?

Biology news on Phys.org
What do you mean "mix" them?

As I understand it, you can't 'mix' light to gain a new colour. That only works with paints (or any colouring medium).

If you only have blue light and you send it through a red filter, it cancels out virtually all of the light (on an overhead projector you get a black patch where they cover each other).

well i don't know but i think if you put dots of those colors close enough together your eye will perceive them as one color as if you mixed them chemically also when you look too long at one color then close your eyes you see the opposite color on the "color wheel" which also points to the way we see as if the colors were enclosed in some kind of loop

danihel said:
hi
i've been intrigued by certain "inconsistency" between light frequencies and the way we see them for some time by now.

Color vision is not entirely understood. Certainly, we know about the different cones and the wavelengths they respond to. But I'm not sure we understand the (perceptual) origin of violet, brown, or pastel hues: those appear to require 'post-processing', as it were.

If I had to guess, I'd say that either:

A. The individual specks of paint reflect different light. When mixed, the spacing between these are so close that when your eye receives light from the paint, it is a mix of red and blue and happens to look purple. Don't know why.

B. The paint mixes and the new materiel doesn't reflect red and blue anymore, but actually reflects purple light.

The key here is that paint ABSORBS certain frequencies of light. When you mix all the paints together, there isn't any reflected, resulting in a Black color.

On the opposite, white light is a combination of all colors.

1. What is color physics?

Color physics is the scientific study of how light interacts with matter to produce the sensation of color. It involves understanding the properties of light, such as wavelength and intensity, and how these properties affect the perception of color.

2. How do we see different colors?

We see different colors because of the way our eyes and brain work together. Our eyes contain specialized cells called cones, which are sensitive to different wavelengths of light. When light enters our eyes, it is absorbed by these cones and converted into electrical signals that are then sent to our brain. Our brain interprets these signals and creates the perception of color.

3. What is the difference between additive and subtractive color mixing?

Additive color mixing involves mixing different colors of light together to create new colors. This is how color is produced on screens and in digital displays. Subtractive color mixing, on the other hand, involves mixing pigments or dyes together to create new colors. This is how color is produced in traditional printing methods.

4. How does color perception vary among individuals?

Color perception can vary among individuals due to differences in the number and distribution of cones in the retina, as well as differences in the processing of visual information in the brain. Some people may also have color vision deficiencies, which can affect their ability to perceive certain colors.

5. Can colors affect our emotions and behavior?

Many studies have shown that colors can have a psychological and emotional impact on individuals. For example, warm colors like red and orange are often associated with excitement and energy, while cool colors like blue and green are often associated with calmness and relaxation. However, the effects of color on emotions and behavior can vary among individuals and cultures.