[Cosmology] Scale Factor Values

In summary, the conversation discusses a cosmology model with specific values for \Omega_{MO}, \Omega_{\Lambda O}, and \Omega_{RO} and how to show mathematically that the model re-collapses. The conversation also touches on the significance of the values of a and the use of the second Friedmann equation to determine which parameter corresponds to the recollapsing universe.
ajclarke
Hello.

I have been working through some questions and answers to do with cosmology. One of them asks you to consider a model where:

[tex]\Omega_{MO}=3 [/tex]
[tex]\Omega_{\Lambda O}=0.01 [/tex]
[tex]\Omega_{RO}=0 [/tex]
and asks you to show mathematically that the model re-collapses.

Following through the math, I get three values of a: -14.87,1.51 and 13.36.

Clearly the first can be disregarded and unphysical since a cannot be negative, but I can't decide what's the significance between the second two which allows me to isolate the value corresponding to collapse.

Cheers.
Adam

Space news on Phys.org
What 'math' are you following through with?

If a is normalized time, then it may have zero diameter 14.87 time units in the past, first collapse 1.51 in the future, and a "recollapse" later. Not sure if that's correct though.

What is the definition of [itex]\Omega_{s0}[/itex] for some species [itex]s[/itex]? What is [itex]\Omega_{\rm total 0}[/itex] in the universe you are studying?

Make use of the second Friedmann equation to make sure that when [itex]H(a)[/itex] goes to zero, [itex]dH/da[/itex] is negative.

zhermes said:
What 'math' are you following through with?

I used the equation for the Hubble Parameter as a function of redshift, then changed this over to be a function of scale factor instead.

cristo said:
What is the definition of [itex]\Omega_{s0}[/itex] for some species [itex]s[/itex]? What is [itex]\Omega_{\rm total 0}[/itex] in the universe you are studying?

[tex]\Omega_{total 0} = 1[/tex]

I don't understand the first bitof the question I'm sorry.

Chalnoth said:
Make use of the second Friedmann equation to make sure that when [itex]H(a)[/itex] goes to zero, [itex]dH/da[/itex] is negative.

I'm uncertain as to how that determines which of the two remaining parameters is the recollapsing universe?

ajclarke said:
I'm uncertain as to how that determines which of the two remaining parameters is the recollapsing universe?
If the derivative of the Hubble parameter is negative, then it's recollapsing.

Don't you have Ωtotal0 equal to 3.01, instead of unity?

Use the second derivative test from elementary calculus. [itex]a\left(t\right)[/itex] has a local maximum at [itex]t = t_1[/itex] if [itex]da/dt \left(t_1 \right) = 0[/itex] and [itex]d^2 a/dt^2 \left(t_1 \right) < 0[/itex]. To find [itex]d^2 a/dt^2 [/itex], differentiate the Friedmann equation.

1. What is a scale factor in cosmology?

A scale factor in cosmology is a mathematical representation of the change in size of the universe over time. It is typically denoted by the symbol "a" and is used to calculate the expansion rate of the universe.

2. How is the scale factor value determined?

The scale factor value is determined by using various measurements and observations of the universe, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and the redshift of distant galaxies. These measurements are used to calculate the expansion rate of the universe and determine the value of the scale factor.

3. What is the significance of the scale factor in cosmology?

The scale factor is an important concept in cosmology as it helps us understand the expansion of the universe and how it has changed over time. It also plays a crucial role in various cosmological models, such as the Big Bang theory, and helps us make predictions about the future of the universe.

4. How does the scale factor relate to the age of the universe?

The scale factor is directly related to the age of the universe. As the scale factor increases, the universe expands and becomes older. Conversely, as the scale factor decreases, the universe contracts and becomes younger. By studying the scale factor, we can estimate the age of the universe.

5. Can the scale factor value change?

Yes, the scale factor value can change over time as the universe continues to expand. The rate of change of the scale factor is determined by the amount of matter and energy in the universe. As the universe ages and expands, the scale factor will continue to increase, but at a slower rate due to the effects of gravity and other forces.