Solving Bernoulli's Equation for Fluid Mechanics in Ethanol Pipe

In summary, the volume flow rate of ethanol through the tapered horizontal pipe can be calculated using the Bernoulli equation and the known pressure difference between the wide and narrow sections of the pipe. Additionally, the mass flow rate of the ethanol can be calculated using the venturi equation and the fact that the mass flow into and out of the pipe is the same. Combining these equations, we can solve for the volume flow rate of the ethanol, which is approximately 2.24 x 10-3 m3s-1.
escobar147
Ethanol of density 791 kgm-3 flows smoothly through a horizontal pipe that tapers in cross-sectional area from A1= 1.20 x 10-3 m2 to A2=A1/2. The pressure difference between the wide and narrow sections of the pipe is 4120 Pa. What is the volume flow rate of the ethanol?

(Ans.: 2.24 x 10-3 m3s-1)

how is this worked out? any help would be massively appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Write your Bernoulli equations and start compiling the data to plug into them. Let's see some work!

ok

bernoullis equation states that:

P1 + ρgh1 + 1/2ρ(v1)^2 = P2 + ρgh2 + 1/2ρ(v2)^2

now i believe from some other calculations that
v2 - v1 = 3.2 m/s

and we know that:

p2 - p1 = 4120 pa
ρ = 791 kgm-3
g = 9.81
the volume flow rate is given by: cross sectional area x flow velocity

but i just can't see how to find the volume flow rate with the given information

i'm starting to think I'm using the wrong equation altogether...

What other calculation did you do to get v2 - v1 = 3.2 m/s? It's not shown.

sorry i forgot i used the venturi equation:

p1 - p2 = ρ/2(v2^2 - v1^2)

The venturi equation is a special form of the Bernoulli equation. What you should use in addition to the Bernoulli equation is the fact that the mass flow of alcohol into the pipe is the same as the mass flow leaving the pipe.

Hint: the mass flow past a point = Rho * Area * velocity

1. What is Bernoulli's Equation for Fluid Mechanics?

Bernoulli's Equation is a fundamental equation in fluid mechanics that describes the relationship between the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid in a steady flow. It states that the sum of the kinetic energy, potential energy, and pressure energy of a fluid remains constant along a streamline.

2. How is Bernoulli's Equation used in solving fluid mechanics problems?

Bernoulli's Equation is used to solve problems involving the flow of a fluid, such as calculating the velocity, pressure, or flow rate at different points in a pipe or channel. It can also be used to analyze the effects of different factors, such as changes in elevation or pipe diameter, on the flow of a fluid.

3. What is the significance of using ethanol as the fluid in Bernoulli's Equation?

Ethanol is a commonly used fluid in fluid mechanics problems because it has a lower density than water, making it easier to flow through pipes and channels. It also has a lower viscosity, which means it has less resistance to flow, making it a good choice for studying the effects of viscosity on fluid flow.

4. What are the steps for solving Bernoulli's Equation in an ethanol pipe?

The first step is to identify the points where the parameters (pressure, velocity, and elevation) are known. Then, apply Bernoulli's Equation to find the unknown parameters at each point. Next, use the continuity equation to ensure that the mass flow rate is constant. Finally, solve for the unknown parameters using algebraic manipulation.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving Bernoulli's Equation for fluid mechanics in ethanol pipes?

Solving Bernoulli's Equation is used in various real-life applications, such as designing efficient piping systems for fuel transportation, understanding the flow of blood in the human body, and optimizing the performance of wind turbines. It is also used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and hydraulics to analyze and improve the flow of fluids in their systems.