Consistency of a set of equations

• Thread starter shrabastee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
The same applies for the other equation. The system has a unique solution if p ≠ q, and infinitely many solutions if p = q. As long as p and q are in the intervall (0,1) the system has a unique solution, except for the case when p = q = 0, when it has infinitely many solutions. If p = q = 1, the system has no solution. In summary, the given system of linear equations has a unique solution if p and q are different and lie between 0 and 1. It has infinitely many solutions if p and q are
shrabastee

Homework Statement

(q-1)x+py=0
(1-q)x-py=0
x+y=1

In this linear equation system:
a. if p and q lie between 0 and 1 how many solutions does this system have and why?
b. Ignoring the above condition, find the values of p and q so that the system has NO solution.

Homework Equations

Umm..

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation sets are consistent and yield a non-trivial solution if det A is non-zero, and the equations are linearly independent, right? Or do I need to look at ranks and augmented matrices and all those things?

I was thinking of equating the determinant of the coefficient matrix to 0, to see when they would be inconsistent and hence unsolvable, and i got p=0 that way, but I don't think it's right. I get very confused with this unsolvable/undefined/multiple solutions business, can someone please give me a step-by-step method to check whether a given set of equations is solvable? And also help me with thi sum? Thanks. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you form the augmented matrix and go from there.

Okay, thanks :)

Look at the sum of the first two equations.

What is the "Augmented matrix"?

So the system has infinite solutions, right? Since x+y=1 is the only equation we are left with, once we add the first two?

But what about the second part? When will the system have no solution?

You didn't use the matrix, did you?

shrabastee said:
So the system has infinite solutions, right? Since x+y=1 is the only equation we are left with, once we add the first two?

No, you have two independent equations. The second one is just the same as the first one, multiplied by -1.

ehild

ehild said:
No, you have two independent equations. The second one is just the same as the first one, multiplied by -1.

ehild
Yes, that's what I hoped OP (shrabastee) would recognize after following my hint.

Now, shrabastee, take one of the first two equations along with the third, and solve simultaneously.

So how many solutions does the system have? If p and q lie between 0 and 1 it has one solution, does it? Which I can find by solving them simultaneously. And, they'll have no solution if the ratio of the coefficients of the variables is equal. Is that it?

vela said:
You didn't use the matrix, did you?

No I didn't :( Augmented matrices confuse me too much. :(

shrabastee said:
So how many solutions does the system have? If p and q lie between 0 and 1 it has one solution, does it? Which I can find by solving them simultaneously. And, they'll have no solution if the ratio of the coefficients of the variables is equal. Is that it?
Yes, there is one solution if p and q are different. There would not be any solution if the denominator was p+1-q=0. Is it possible or not in the range of p and q?
Yes, there is no solution if p=q-1, except in case p=0, q=1. As both p and q are between 0 and 1, it can happen if the interval was meant closed. How many solutions are there if 0 and 1 values are allowed for p, q?ehild

shrabastee said:
No I didn't :( Augmented matrices confuse me too much. :(
I asked because if you had used one, you would have avoided the mistake of thinking you get rid of both equations when you added the first to the second and got 0=0. Using a row operation on the augmented matrix would have left you with one row of all zeros, but the other two row (i.e., the other equations) would have remained.

ehild said:
Yes, there is one solution if p and q are different. There would not be any solution if the denominator was p+1-q=0. Is it possible or not in the range of p and q?
Yes, there is no solution if p=q-1, except in case p=0, q=1. As both p and q are between 0 and 1, it can happen if the interval was meant closed. How many solutions are there if 0 and 1 values are allowed for p, q?

ehild

Can I find specific values for p and q? Or does any value of p and q that satisfies the equations q-p=1 qualify as a solution? p and q have no restrictions in this case, they've asked us to ignore the "lies between 0 and 1" condition.

shrabastee said:
Can I find specific values for p and q? Or does any value of p and q that satisfies the equations q-p=1 qualify as a solution? p and q have no restrictions in this case, they've asked us to ignore the "lies between 0 and 1" condition.

No. As long as q-p ≠ 1 you have a solution. If 0 < p,q < 1 , all values of p,q in that interval give a solution !

shrabastee said:

Homework Statement

(q-1)x+py=0
(1-q)x-py=0
x+y=1

In this linear equation system:
a. if p and q lie between 0 and 1 how many solutions does this system have and why?
b. Ignoring the above condition, find the values of p and q so that the system has NO solution.

Homework Equations

Umm..

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation sets are consistent and yield a non-trivial solution if det A is non-zero, and the equations are linearly independent, right? Or do I need to look at ranks and augmented matrices and all those things?

I was thinking of equating the determinant of the coefficient matrix to 0, to see when they would be inconsistent and hence unsolvable, and i got p=0 that way, but I don't think it's right. I get very confused with this unsolvable/undefined/multiple solutions business, can someone please give me a step-by-step method to check whether a given set of equations is solvable? And also help me with thi sum? Thanks. :)

Ignore one of the first two equations (since one is just the negative of the other). Then, if we have, say (q-1)x + py = 0, and x + y = 1, the system has a unique solution if the determinant of the coefficient matrix [[q-1,p][1,1]] is nonzero, and has either no solution or infinitely many solutions if the determinant = 0; that is a theorem, that holds for general linear equation systems. For 0 <= q,p <= 1 there is just one value of (q,p) that makes the determinant equal to zero, and you have found it: q=1, p=0. In that case the system reads as 0*x+0*y=0, x+y=1. You should be able to see whether we have infinitely many solutions or no solution.

RGV

1. What does it mean for a set of equations to be consistent?

A set of equations is considered consistent if there is at least one solution that satisfies all of the equations in the set. This means that the equations do not contradict each other and can be solved simultaneously.

2. How do you determine if a set of equations is consistent?

To determine if a set of equations is consistent, you can use methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. If you are able to find a solution that satisfies all of the equations, then the set is consistent.

3. What is an inconsistent set of equations?

An inconsistent set of equations is one that has no solution that satisfies all of the equations. This means that the equations contradict each other and cannot be solved simultaneously.

4. Can a consistent set of equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a consistent set of equations can have infinitely many solutions or a finite number of solutions. This depends on the number of variables in the set of equations and the number of equations in the set.

5. How does consistency relate to the number of equations and variables?

A consistent set of equations with n variables must have at least n equations to have a unique solution. If there are fewer equations, there can be multiple solutions or no solution at all. If there are more equations, it may still have a unique solution or no solution.