Proving the Inequality 1 > 0 in Real Numbers

• Thread starter issacnewton
  • Start date
In summary: R , a+b=b+a3) \forall a,b,c... in R , (a+b)+c = a+(b+c)4) \forall a... in R , there exists an element 0 \in R such that a+0 = a5) \forall a... in R exists an element -a \in R such that a+(-a) = 06) for all a,b... in R a.b=b.a7) for all a,b,c... in R (a.b).c = a.(b.c)8) for all a... in R exists an element 1 \in R such that a*1=a9) for all a... in
issacnewton
Hi

I am trying to prove that 1 > 0. I am going to assume a contradiction .

Assume [tex] 1 \leqslant 0[/tex]

First consider 1=0, Let [itex]a \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] be arbitrary. So

[tex] a=1.a = 0.a = 0 [/tex] using field axioms. Actually 0.a=0 is not field axiom , but I have
proved it separately .

that means [tex] \forall \;\; a\in \mathbb{R} \Rightarrow a=0 [/tex]

since all numbers are equal to 0 , no inverse exists in the set R. So R is not a field. Hence
the contradiction. So

[tex] 1 \neq 0 [/tex]

that means we have to consider the second option

[tex] 1 < 0 [/tex]

Consider [itex] a > 0 \backepsilon a \in R [/itex]

Now I have already proved another theorem.

If q,b,c are in R and q < b , c < 0 then qc > bc

letting c =1 and q = 0 , b= a we can say that

(0)(1) > (a)(1) which means 0 > a or a < 0 but this is contradiction since
we assumed that a> 0 . So our assumption that 1 < 0 , is wrong.

Hence 1 > 0

is my proof right ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi IssacNewton! :smile:

It might help if you list the axioms you use. Some of the comments I make will be about how I've seen the field axioms, but you might have different axioms.

IssacNewton said:
Hi

I am trying to prove that 1 > 0. I am going to assume a contradiction .

Assume [tex] 1 \leqslant 0[/tex]

First consider 1=0, Let [itex]a \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] be arbitrary. So

[tex] a=1.a = 0.a = 0 [/tex] using field axioms. Actually 0.a=0 is not field axiom , but I have
proved it separately .

that means [tex] \forall \;\; a\in \mathbb{R} \Rightarrow a=0 [/tex]

since all numbers are equal to 0 , no inverse exists in the set R. So R is not a field. Hence
the contradiction.

This is not a contradiction. The field axioms say that every nonzero element in R must have an inverse. But taking R={0} satisfies this: every nonzero element has an inverse, because there are no nonzero elements!

In fact, most field axioms take [itex]1\neq 0[/itex] as an axiom. So there's nothing to prove here. However, your axioms might do things differently...

that means we have to consider the second option

[tex] 1 < 0 [/tex]

Consider [itex] a > 0 \backepsilon a \in R [/itex]

Who says such an a exists?

Now I have already proved another theorem.

If q,b,c are in R and q < b , c < 0 then qc > bc

letting c =1 and q = 0 , b= a we can say that

(0)(1) > (a)(1) which means 0 > a or a < 0 but this is contradiction since
we assumed that a> 0 . So our assumption that 1 < 0 , is wrong.

Hence 1 > 0

is my proof right ?

The rest of the proof looks right.

Hi Micro

Your comments about the first part are right. Only non zero elements of R have inverse.
I will try to modify that part. The axioms I am using doesn't say that [itex] 1 \neq 0 [/itex]
as part of the any axiom. So I will need to come up with some contradiction.

For the second part, I am using some [itex]a \in \mathbb{R} [/itex] which is greater than 0. Is that wrong ?

IssacNewton said:
Hi Micro

Your comments about the first part are right. Only non zero elements of R have inverse.
I will try to modify that part. The axioms I am using doesn't say that [itex] 1 \neq 0 [/itex]
as part of the any axiom. So I will need to come up with some contradiction.

Your axioms somehow need to rule out the possibility that R={0}. So try to see why this can't be possible.

For the second part, I am using some [itex]a \in \mathbb{R} [/itex] which is greater than 0. Is that wrong ?

That isn't wrong, and I'm being extremely pedantic here. But who says that there exists an a which is greater than 0? That is, can't it happen that all elements in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] are <0?? (it can't, but why not?)

Here's another attempt for the first part

Let [itex] a,b \in \mathbb{R} [/itex] and [itex] a < b [/itex]

then [tex] 1.a < 1.b [/tex] since 1 is multiplicative identity

[tex] 0.a < 0.b [/tex] since 1=0

[tex] 0 < 0 [/tex] a.0 = 0 (I proved this elsewhere)

this is a contradiction. Hence

[tex] 1 \neq 0 [/tex]

does it look right now ?

IssacNewton said:
Here's another attempt for the first part

Let [itex] a,b \in \mathbb{R} [/itex] and [itex] a < b [/itex]

Hmm, you're going to find me annoying. But how do you know there exists numbers in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] such that a<b?

May I know what field axioms you're starting from?

micromass said:
That isn't wrong, and I'm being extremely pedantic here. But who says that there exists an a which is greater than 0? That is, can't it happen that all elements in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] are <0?? (it can't, but why not?)

All elements of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] can't be < 0 since we need an identity element for the operation of addition. One of the axioms says that there exists a zero element(
identity element) for the operation of addition.

IssacNewton said:
All elements of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] can't be < 0 since we need an identity element for the operation of addition. One of the axioms says that there exists a zero element(
identity element) for the operation of addition.

OK, but a=0 won't be good in your proof. You'll need to find an element >0...

here are the axioms I am using
1) for all [itex] a,b \in \mathbb{R} [/itex] we have [itex] a+b , a.b \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]

2)[tex] \forall a,b \in \mathbb{R} , a+b=b+a \;\; a.b=b.a [/tex]

3)[tex] \forall a,b,c \in \mathbb{R} ,\; (a+b)+c=a+(b+c) \;\; (a.b).c=a.(b.c) [/tex]

4)there exists a zero element in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] , denoted by 0, such that
[itex]a+0=a \;\; \forall a \in \mathbb{R} [/itex]

5)[itex] \forall a \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] there exists an element -a in
[itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] , such that [itex]a+(-a)=0[/itex]

6) there exists an element in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] , which we denote by 1, such that
[itex]a.1=a \;\; \forall a\in \mathbb{R}[/itex]

7)[itex]\forall a \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] with [itex] a\neq 0[/itex] there exists an element
in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] denoted by [itex]\frac{1}{a}[/itex] or [itex]a^{-1}[/itex]
such that

[tex] a.a^{-1}=1[/tex]

8)[itex]\forall a,b,c \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] we have

[tex]a.(b+c)=(a.b)+(a.c)[/tex]

IssacNewton said:
here are the axioms I am using
Okay. Then your first challenge is to prove the following statement is not true:
[tex] \forall a,b \in \mathbb{R}: a = b[/tex]​
(hint: this challenge is actually impossible to complete)

(also, those axioms don't say anything about > anyways, so you couldn't possibly use them to prove anything about orderings)

I'm afraid that this list of axioms is incomplete then, since R={0} satisfies all these axioms. There should at least by a remark that says that 1 is distinct from 0, or even something that says that R has more than one element.

If you check wiki's entry for a field you'll see one of the following axioms:

Additive and multiplicative identity
There exists an element of F, called the additive identity element and denoted by 0, such that for all a in F, a + 0 = a. Likewise, there is an element, called the multiplicative identity element and denoted by 1, such that for all a in F, a · 1 = a. To exclude the trivial ring, the additive identity and the multiplicative identity are required to be distinct.

This last sentence is essential.

Sorry to interrupt, but strictly speaking you also need the order axioms:

1) Trichotomy property: for all a, b in R, only one of the following holds: a < b, b < a, or a = b.

2) Transitive property: for all a, b, c in R, if a < b and b < c, then a < c.

3) Additive property: for all a, b, c in R, if a < b, then a + c < b + c.

4) Multiplicative property: for all a, b, c in R, if a < b and 0 < c then ac < bc; if a < b and c < 0 then bc < ac.

EDIT: As Hurkyl and micromass have pointed out, the additive and multiplicative identities must be distinct in any field; 0 ≠ 1.

Hi Hurkyl

I think you are also saying that [itex] \mathbb{R}\neq \{0\}[/itex] . My starting point that 1=0 lead me to conclude that [itex] \mathbb{R}= \{0\}[/itex] . Now you guys are saying that this can't be true. I don't see which of the axioms are violated. Or do I have
to think about the completeness axiom ?

Also some comments about the latex thing. The latex output here doesn't look so nice. Is
there some maintenance going on ?

Unit, oh yeah,

I forgot about the order axioms. They are there.

I think the axiom no 7 listed by implicitly says that [itex] 1\neq 0[/itex]

Since we have [itex] 1.1^{-1}=1[/itex] that means , inverse of 1 exists and so
it must be true that [itex] 1\neq 0[/itex] . am I right ?

How do you know 1.1 is in R?

The only numbers you know are in R are 1, 0, and the additive inverse of 1. Try cases, noting that 1 times 1 is 1.

IssacNewton said:
Hi Hurkyl

I think you are also saying that [itex] \mathbb{R}\neq \{0\}[/itex] . My starting point that 1=0 lead me to conclude that [itex] \mathbb{R}= \{0\}[/itex] . Now you guys are saying that this can't be true. I don't see which of the axioms are violated.

None of the axioms are violated, that's the point. There's an axiom missing that says that [itex]1\neq 0[/itex].

Unit said:
How do you know 1.1 is in R?

The only numbers you know are in R are 1, 0, and the additive inverse of 1. Try cases, noting that 1 times 1 is 1.

closure property. Since [itex]1 \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]

[tex]1.1 \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]

IssacNewton said:
It doesn't. However, you proved in post #1 that if 1=0, the field is the trivial field {0}.

Most authors include the axiom 1≠0. Some don't. I would choose not to include it, and instead do what you did: Prove that the only field that doesn't satisfy this condition is trivial.

micromass said:
None of the axioms are violated, that's the point. There's an axiom missing that says that [itex]1\neq 0[/itex].

Micromass, as I pointed out , doesn't that follow implicitly from axiom 7. go 2-3 posts back.

thanks

IssacNewton said:
closure property. Since [itex]1 \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]

[tex]1.1 \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]

My mistake. You should use [itex]1\cdot 1[/itex] (that is, \cdot) to indicate multiplication. I mistook it 1.1 for 11/10.

IssacNewton said:
Micromass, as I pointed out , doesn't that follow implicitly from axiom 7. go 2-3 posts back.

thanks

No, it doesn't follow from any of your axioms. Setting R={0} will satisfy all your axioms, so you explicitly need to eliminate the possibility that R is the trivial ring.

Micromass, so if I include [itex]1\neq 0[/itex] as one of the axioms, that takes care
of the first part of my proof. Which means that the statement [itex]1=0[/itex]
must be wrong.

I remember reading axioms from other books and people do say explicitly that 1 is not 0.
So the book I am using has problems. Maybe I should write the author, Witold Kosmala

IssacNewton said:
Micromass, so if I include [itex]1\neq 0[/itex] as one of the axioms, that takes care
of the first part of my proof. Which means that the statement [itex]1=0[/itex]
must be wrong.

I remember reading axioms from other books and people do say explicitly that 1 is not 0.
So the book I am using has problems. Maybe I should write the author, Witold Kosmala

Hmm, I don't seem to find the book, but I guess it's a mistake. Writing him sounds like a nice thing to do!

IssacNewton said:
First off, axiom 7 says every non-zero element has an inverse. If every element is zero, the axiom tells us nothing.

Secondly, in the zero ring, 0 does have an inverse: [itex]0^{-1} = 0[/itex].

(edit: didn't notice the second page)

Ok sorry for the late reply. I was traveling. We have already established that [itex]1\neq 0[/itex]
Now assume the second option that [itex] 1 < 0 [/itex]

[tex]\Rightarrow -1 > 0 [/tex]

Now I have proved the following theorem

Theorem: If [itex]a \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [itex]a \neq 0 [/itex] then
[itex] a^2 > 0 [/itex].

I am going to use this theorem here. Since [itex] -1 > 0 [/itex] it follows that
[itex] (-1)^2 > 0 [/itex] hence [itex]1 > 0 [/itex] which is a contradiction. Hence
we reject [itex] 1 < 0 [/itex] hence [itex] 1> 0 [/itex]

is it right ?

IssacNewton said:
Ok sorry for the late reply. I was traveling. We have already established that [itex]1\neq 0[/itex]
Now assume the second option that [itex] 1 < 0 [/itex]

[tex]\Rightarrow -1 > 0 [/tex]

Now I have proved the following theorem

Theorem: If [itex]a \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [itex]a \neq 0 [/itex] then
[itex] a^2 > 0 [/itex].

I am going to use this theorem here. Since [itex] -1 > 0 [/itex] it follows that
[itex] (-1)^2 > 0 [/itex] hence [itex]1 > 0 [/itex] which is a contradiction. Hence
we reject [itex] 1 < 0 [/itex] hence [itex] 1> 0 [/itex]

is it right ?

Sounds good! Maybe you should show that [itex](-1)^2=1[/itex]...

micromass said:
Maybe you should show that [itex](-1)^2=1[/itex]...

My mistake; I misread your post.

OP: Well done. :smile:

1. What is the mathematical proof that 1 is greater than 0?

The mathematical proof that 1 is greater than 0 can be found in the axioms of the real number system, specifically the axiom of trichotomy which states that for any two real numbers, one must be greater than the other. Since 1 is a real number and 0 is a real number, the axiom of trichotomy tells us that either 1 is greater than 0 or 0 is greater than 1. However, since 0 is the smallest number in the real number system, it cannot be greater than 1, leaving 1 as the only option.

2. Can 1 be proven to be greater than 0 using empirical evidence?

No, the concept of 1 being greater than 0 is a fundamental mathematical truth and cannot be proven through empirical evidence. Empirical evidence is based on observations and measurements, whereas the concept of 1 being greater than 0 is a logical truth that is independent of any physical observations.

3. Is 1 being greater than 0 a universal truth or can there be exceptions?

1 being greater than 0 is a universal truth in the context of the real number system. However, in other number systems such as the complex numbers or the p-adic numbers, the concept of being "greater than" may not exist or may have different properties. In those cases, the statement "1 is greater than 0" may not hold true.

4. How does the concept of infinity affect the idea of 1 being greater than 0?

The concept of infinity does not affect the idea of 1 being greater than 0. In fact, the concept of infinity is used to define the real number system, where 1 and 0 are both finite numbers. Infinity is not a number and cannot be compared to finite numbers in the same way that 1 and 0 can be compared.

5. Are there any real-world applications of proving 1 is greater than 0?

Yes, the concept of 1 being greater than 0 is essential in many real-world applications, such as mathematics, physics, and computer science. Understanding the relationship between numbers and their properties is crucial in solving problems and making accurate calculations. Additionally, the concept of 1 being greater than 0 is used in everyday life, such as counting, measuring, and comparing quantities.