Damped harmonic oscillator being forced

In summary: Forum userIn summary, the question is whether a damped harmonic oscillator is being directly forced or forced by displacement. The answer depends on the values of the constants C and omega in the force being applied. In general, if the force is constant, it is direct forcing, and if the force varies with time, it is forcing by displacement. The physical setup can also provide clues, as a fixed spring would indicate direct forcing while a free-moving spring would indicate forcing by displacement. To confirm the answer, one could solve the equation of motion for the particle's position and see if it is directly proportional to the force or the displacement.
tomwilliam

Homework Statement

A damped harmonic oscillator is being forced. I have to say whether it is direct forcing or forcing by displacement. I have the equation of motion which is expressed in terms of the particle's height above the equilibrium point and an expression for the force being applied.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that if it is forcing by displacement there should be a change in the length of the spring to which the particle is attached, but as my equation of motion is in terms of height above the equilibrium point, I'm not sure I can tell whether the spring length is constant or not. The forcing element is of the form C cos (omega t). I'm not sure whether I should be showing my answer to this question using a mathematical argument or based on the physical set up. Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Based on the information provided, it is difficult to determine whether the harmonic oscillator is being directly forced or forced by displacement without knowing the specific values for the constants C and omega. However, in general, if the force being applied is a constant value, it is considered direct forcing. If the force is varying with time, it is considered forcing by displacement.

In terms of the physical setup, if the particle is attached to a spring that is fixed at one end, then the spring length would not change and the forcing would be considered direct. If the particle is attached to a spring that is free to move, then the spring length would change and the forcing would be considered by displacement.

In order to confirm your answer mathematically, you could solve the equation of motion for the position of the particle and see if it is directly proportional to the force being applied (direct forcing) or if it is proportional to the displacement of the particle from equilibrium (forcing by displacement).

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your problem!

1. What is a damped harmonic oscillator being forced?

A damped harmonic oscillator being forced is a physical system that exhibits both oscillatory motion and damping due to an external force acting on it. This type of system can be described by a differential equation known as the forced harmonic oscillator equation.

2. How does damping affect a forced harmonic oscillator?

Damping in a forced harmonic oscillator causes the amplitude of the oscillations to decrease over time. This is due to the dissipation of energy through friction or other dissipative forces. However, the frequency of the oscillations remains the same.

3. What is the difference between a forced and an unforced harmonic oscillator?

An unforced harmonic oscillator is a system that exhibits oscillatory motion without any external forces acting on it. A forced harmonic oscillator, on the other hand, is a system that is subjected to an external force, which causes it to exhibit both oscillatory motion and damping.

4. How is a damped harmonic oscillator being forced mathematically represented?

A damped harmonic oscillator being forced can be mathematically represented by the differential equation: m*d^2x/dt^2 + b*dx/dt + k*x = F(t), where m is the mass, b is the damping coefficient, k is the spring constant, and F(t) is the external force acting on the system at time t.

5. What are some real-life examples of a damped harmonic oscillator being forced?

Some real-life examples of a damped harmonic oscillator being forced include a car's suspension system, a pendulum with air resistance, and a guitar string being plucked. In these systems, an external force (such as bumps on the road, air resistance, or the plucking motion) causes the oscillations and damping to occur.