Laplace Transform of e-t sin t: How to Derive the Denominator?

In summary, the Laplace Transform of e-t sin t can be derived using the shift theorem, which states that L(eatsint) = 1/[(s-a)2+1]. This theorem is useful for finding the inverse Laplace transform. Integrating using the integral formula may result in a repetitive e^-t sin t or e^-t cos t, but this can be solved by moving one side of the equation to the other and combining like terms.
trojansc82

Homework Statement

Laplace Transform of e-t sin t

Homework Equations

f2a613fc61132e4b8f053ed85030a651.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the solution, but I am unable to figure out how the denominator becomes 1/[(s + 1)2 + 1]

Physics news on Phys.org
The presence of the eat would case the shift from 's' to 's-a'. This is why it is called the shift theorem, it's mainly used in the inverse laplace transform.

So you know that L{sint} = 1/(s2+1)

and following shift theorem L(eatsint) = 1/[(s-a)2+1].

You can derive it too using the integral formula.

rock.freak667 said:
The presence of the eat would case the shift from 's' to 's-a'. This is why it is called the shift theorem, it's mainly used in the inverse laplace transform.

So you know that L{sint} = 1/(s2+1)

and following shift theorem L(eatsint) = 1/[(s-a)2+1].

You can derive it too using the integral formula.

I am unable to derive it from the integral formula. I need to see the steps. I'm fairly certain I've been able to integrate it correctly, but I keep getting a repetitive e^-t sin t or e^-t cos t when I integrate.

trojansc82 said:
I am unable to derive it from the integral formula. I need to see the steps. I'm fairly certain I've been able to integrate it correctly, but I keep getting a repetitive e^-t sin t or e^-t cos t when I integrate.

So you're probably ending up with something like ∫e-t sin t dt on both sides of the equation; just move one to the other side and combine them as like terms. There's a good example of a similar problem on Wikipedia with ∫ex cos x dx:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integration_by_parts#Integrals_with_powers_of_x_or_ex

1. What is the Laplace Transform and how is it used?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to transform a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to simplify differential equations and solve problems involving time-dependent systems.

2. What is the difference between the Laplace Transform and the Fourier Transform?

While both transforms involve changing a function from one domain to another, the Laplace Transform is used for functions that are time-dependent and the Fourier Transform is used for functions that are periodic. Additionally, the Laplace Transform can be used for functions that do not have a Fourier Transform.

3. How is the Laplace Transform calculated?

The Laplace Transform is calculated by taking the integral of a function multiplied by the exponential function e^-st, where s is a complex number. This integral is known as the Laplace Transform integral and can be solved using various methods, such as partial fraction decomposition or the use of a table of common Laplace Transform pairs.

4. What are some common applications of the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform has many applications in various fields, including electrical engineering, control systems, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. It is commonly used to model and analyze time-dependent systems, such as electronic circuits, mechanical systems, and chemical reactions.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the Laplace Transform?

While the Laplace Transform is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that the function being transformed must be defined for all positive time values. Additionally, the Laplace Transform is not always unique, meaning that multiple functions can have the same Laplace Transform. This can make it challenging to find the original function from its Laplace Transform.