Why do High-Voltage devices spark at high altitude?

In summary: This means they can create more ionization events and the 'avalanche' effect can cause the spark to persist.In summary, the speaker is wondering why high voltage devices spark in low pressure, and believes it may be due to a decrease in air molecules inhibiting the spark. They are seeking help in understanding this phenomenon.
Lunar_Lander
Hello,

I have moved that question around in my mind for quite a while now. I have gotten several datasets from amateur high altitude balloon flights in which the Geiger Counters onboard delivered either no data or excessive count rates, and this occurred almost every time when a balloon crossed a certain altitude on the ascent (for example 22 km) and the GCs worked again when the balloon came back down below this altitude.

Thus I remembered a text on the high altitude research rockets in the 1950s, in which it was said that high-voltage devices for the rockets posed a problem because in the near vacuum, the HV devices would spark. My idea now is that this sparking also occurred in the balloons.

But the question now is: Why does HV spark in low pressure? As well as the pressure, density decreases with altitude, thus there should be less particles to conduct a spark, on the other hand air normally is an isolator, and atmospheric electricity is caused by Ions.

I would be happy if someone could help me with that question!

Thanks,
L_L

Physics news on Phys.org
As well as the pressure, density decreases with altitude, thus there should be less particles to conduct a spark
At normal atmospheric pressure the air molecules actually inhibit the spark, as electrons usually collide with an air molecule before they have enough energy to cause ionization.

At lower pressure/density the electrons have a larger free path length and thus gain more energy before colliding.

1. What causes high-voltage devices to spark at high altitude?

High-voltage devices spark at high altitude due to a decrease in air pressure. As altitude increases, the air becomes thinner and has a lower density. This results in a decrease in dielectric strength, which is the ability of a material to withstand an electric field without breaking down. As a result, the insulating properties of the air are reduced, making it easier for electricity to jump or arc between two points, causing a spark.

2. Are all high-voltage devices affected by altitude?

Yes, all high-voltage devices are affected by altitude to some degree. However, the extent of the effect depends on the specific device and its design. Some devices may be more prone to sparking at high altitude due to their construction and materials, while others may be less affected.

3. Can high-voltage devices be used at high altitude without sparking?

Yes, it is possible for high-voltage devices to be used at high altitude without sparking. This can be achieved by using different materials with higher dielectric strength or by adjusting the design of the device to compensate for the decrease in air pressure. However, this may result in a decrease in the device's overall performance.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using high-voltage devices at high altitude?

Yes, there are safety concerns when using high-voltage devices at high altitude. The sparks produced by these devices can potentially ignite flammable materials in the surrounding environment, leading to fires or explosions. Additionally, the decrease in air pressure can also affect the accuracy of the device's measurements or operations, which could pose a safety risk in certain applications.

5. Can the effects of altitude on high-voltage devices be mitigated?

Yes, the effects of altitude on high-voltage devices can be mitigated through proper design and materials selection. Engineers can also account for the decrease in air pressure in the device's design and adjust the operating parameters accordingly. However, the most effective way to avoid sparking at high altitude is to use devices specifically designed and tested for use in these conditions.