Is the Validity of the Proof in Question?

• Thread starter semidevil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of proving the limit of a function as x approaches a constant c. The participants consider breaking it down into two parts and using the IFF problem method. However, the validity of this approach is questioned and it is suggested to use the definition of limit to prove the statement.
semidevil
I need to prove that the

limit of as x goes to c, f(x) = L iff limit as x goes to c |f(x) - L| = 0.

I"m still new to this limit concept, but here is the only thing I can think of.

So I break it down into 2 parts since it is an IFF problem. Prove ---> and then prove <----

I mean, can't I Just say that if the limit as x goes to c of |f(x) - L|= 0, then f(x) = L(because, if f(x) is not equal to L, then it wouldn't equal 0...like, a - a = 0, but b - a is not equal 0).. So I can put L to the other side, and proof done. And same the other way.

Is this a valid proof?

or is there more to it?

Physics news on Phys.org
semidevil said:
I mean, can't I Just say that if the limit as x goes to c of |f(x) - L|= 0, then f(x) = L(because, if f(x) is not equal to L, then it wouldn't equal 0...like, a - a = 0, but b - a is not equal 0)..

This is nonsense. NO, f(x) does not have to be equal to L: f(x) is a function of x and L is a constant. lim(x->0) x2= 0 but it certainly is not true that x2= 0 !

Remember the definition of "lim (x->ac) f(x)= L": Given any &epsilon;> 0, there exist &delta;> 0 such that if |x-c|< &delta;, then |f(x)-L|< &epsilon;

Now apply that same definition to "lim(x->c) f(x)-L= 0". Replace f(x) by f(x)-L and replace L by 0. What happens?

1. Is this a valid proof?

The validity of a proof depends on its logical structure and the accuracy of its assumptions and reasoning. A valid proof should follow the rules of logic and lead to a conclusion that is supported by the evidence presented.

2. How can I determine if a proof is valid?

To determine if a proof is valid, you can check if it follows the principles of logical reasoning, such as modus ponens, modus tollens, and transitivity. You should also carefully evaluate the assumptions made and the evidence presented to ensure they are accurate and relevant.

3. Can a proof be valid but still be incorrect?

Yes, a proof can be valid but still be incorrect if the assumptions made or the evidence presented are inaccurate or insufficient. In this case, the logical structure of the proof may be sound, but the conclusion reached is not supported by the evidence.

4. What are some common mistakes that can make a proof invalid?

Some common mistakes that can make a proof invalid include using faulty logic, making inaccurate assumptions, presenting irrelevant evidence, and using circular reasoning. It is important to carefully check each step of the proof and make sure it follows the rules of logic.

5. Can a proof ever be considered 100% valid?

It is difficult to say if a proof can ever be considered 100% valid, as there is always a possibility of unknown or unaccounted for factors that could impact the conclusion. However, a proof can be considered highly valid if it follows the principles of logic and is supported by strong and accurate evidence.