Recommendations of good books

• Thread starter QuantumDefect
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary: I would recommend "The second Creation" by Crease and Mann. It is an excellent book that covers the history of QED, QCD, and other theories in a concise and easy-to-read way.
QuantumDefect
Hello everyone, I wanted to ask you if you could recommend some, in your mind, excellent books( That every physicist would want) of the Quantum side of the universe. As I am still an undergrad, I still am unclear about how QED, QCD, ect fit into the Quantum Universe. I would also like them to have a little history of each theory. IF I am unclear, please say so and I will try to elaborate more. Again, thanks for your replies. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
QuantumDefect said:
Hello everyone, I wanted to ask you if you could recommend some, in your mind, excellent books( That every physicist would want) of the Quantum side of the universe. As I am still an undergrad, I still am unclear about how QED, QCD, ect fit into the Quantum Universe. I would also like them to have a little history of each theory. IF I am unclear, please say so and I will try to elaborate more. Again, thanks for your replies. :smile:

As first introductions to field theory, I think Griffith's Introduction to Elementary Particle and Aitchison and Hey's Gauge Theories in Particle Physics are the best. As an historical account, my all-time favorite is "The second Creation" by Crease and Mann.

Regards,

Pat

Thank you! I will look into them

QuantumDefect said:
Thank you! I will look into them

You're very welcome. Those are really the best starting points, imho.

As next steps after these books, I would suggest "Quarks and leptons" by Halzen and Martin, "Gauge Theories of the Strong, Weak, and Electromagnetic Interactions" by Chris Quigg as well as "Relativiistic Quantum Mechanics and Field Theory" by Gross.

And any book by Greiner is highly recommended (QCD, QED, etc etc).

After that, you can get to Peskin and Schroeder, Cheng and Li, the first two field theory books by Weinberg, "Quantum Field Theory in a nutshell" by Zee, "Dynamics of the Standard Model" by Donoghue et al.

Hi,
A good book is also Brian Greenes "The Fabric of the Cosmos". It is non-mathematical and rather for the non-physicist. But it is a good introduction and gives an overview on all theories (quantum, relativity, strings/branes). But maybe you know it already.
Have fun reading,
Carsten

ya I am reading that right now. I am looking for more like a textbook type with actual mathematics. Thanks though for the suggestion

I very much agreed until :
nrqed said:
And any book by Greiner is highly recommended (QCD, QED, etc etc).
Watch out Greiner, because they are full of mistakes, and not thoroughly planned with hindsight : where is the global logical structure of the presentation in Greiner's series ? Greiner's series is only a collection of solved examples and exercises.

humanino said:
I very much agreed until :Watch out Greiner, because they are full of mistakes, and not thoroughly planned with hindsight : where is the global logical structure of the presentation in Greiner's series ? Greiner's series is only a collection of solved examples and exercises.
Do you include Field Quantization by Walter Greiner, Joachim Reinhardt, J. Reinhardt in this critique?

See:

Or what book would you recommend for an intro into the mathematical details of QFT. I'm looking for a book that hides no technique in its step from one formula to the next.

Mike2 said:
Do you include Field Quantization by Walter Greiner, Joachim Reinhardt, J. Reinhardt in this critique?
Yes. Now I admit that if you take one single volume of the collection and deal with a specific aspect of QFT, many detailed calculation can be found in Greiner's series (which in turn explains the fact that there are mistakes : since mistakes are unavoidable anyway, the more calculational content, the more mistakes too...). I am reproaching with for instance, the fact that "Relativistic Quantum Mechanics" is a separate volume to the one you quote. That is true, it is a different subject, yet one could prefer books dealing with the entire subject of QFT (and to a certain extent the standard model) rather than separate volumes often repeating each other and worse of all not even in a completely coherent fashion (the fact that those volumes have been written separately) I do have 6 volumes of this series, so I am not telling they are the worse books ever. I like them as a practical tool.

For instance, one has little hope to ever find a single book dealing with both formal aspect of QFT and nuclear models at the level of details found in Greiner's. But this series provides "only" detailed calculations, and with respect to QuantumDefect's original question, I would not recommend them to an undergraduate willing to get an historical overview. IMHO QuantumDefect should first concentrate on concepts. If you can go through "Quarks and leptons" by Halzen and Martin then you can postpone use of Greiner's series to specific later problems.
I'm looking for a book that hides no technique in its step from one formula to the next.
Do you even think it is possible really ? If you aim at reconstructing every little formula in details, it is going to take a while. It only depends on what you want and how fast you need it. If you aim at calculating Feynman diagrams and make quantitative predictions, then you can achieve this much faster than reading the whole Greiner's series.

In fact, I picture Greiner's series as a dictionnary, or an encyclopedia. I do not expect it to be read linearly, not only is it too much pain but it does not seem much useful to me.
Or what book would you recommend for an intro into the mathematical details of QFT.
For an intro, maybe Quantum Field Theory of Point Particles and Strings. It is difficult to tell really, depending on what you want at which level.

What are some good book recommendations?

There are so many great books out there, it's hard to narrow it down to just a few recommendations. It really depends on your personal interests and preferences. However, some classic books that are often recommended are "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, "1984" by George Orwell, "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen.

What are some good books for beginners?

For those who are just starting to discover the joy of reading, it's important to find books that are engaging and easy to understand. Some popular options for beginners include "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho, "The Harry Potter" series by J.K. Rowling, "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, and "The Chronicles of Narnia" by C.S. Lewis.

What are some good books for a specific genre?

If you're looking for recommendations in a specific genre, there are countless options to choose from. Some popular genres include mystery, romance, sci-fi, and historical fiction. For mystery lovers, "And Then There Were None" by Agatha Christie and "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn are great choices. For romance fans, "The Notebook" by Nicholas Sparks and "Me Before You" by Jojo Moyes are highly recommended. For sci-fi enthusiasts, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams and "Dune" by Frank Herbert are must-reads. For historical fiction lovers, "The Nightingale" by Kristin Hannah and "All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr are both excellent options.

What are some good books for personal growth and development?

Reading is not only entertaining, but it can also be a great tool for personal growth and development. Some books that are often recommended in this category include "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen R. Covey, "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill, "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle, and "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck" by Mark Manson.

Where can I find book recommendations online?

There are many websites and online communities dedicated to book lovers and recommendations. Goodreads, BookBub, and Book Riot are just a few examples of popular sites where you can find book recommendations from fellow readers and experts. You can also follow book bloggers and influencers on social media platforms like Instagram and Twitter for their latest recommendations.