Derivation of resonance fixed-fixed beam

In summary: For a simply-supported beam, you would need to take into account the weight of the beam and the stiffness of the beam.
DePurpereWolf
I'm trying to derive the resonance frequencies for a simple fixed-fixed beam, as opposed to a simply-supported beam.

I'm working off the following references:
1. http://emweb.unl.edu/Mechanics-Pages/Scott-Whitney/325hweb/Beams.htm
But this is for a fixed-free cantilever beam.

And
2. alrafidain.engineering-coll-mosul.com/files/132.pdf

But this is for a simply-supported (or 'pinned') beam.

Both sources follow the same derivation steps.
If we write the differntial equation as follows:
[tex] EI\frac{\partial^{4}z(x,t)}{\partial x^{4}} = \rho A \frac{\partial^{2}z(x,t)}{\partial t^{2}} [/tex]
Than for my application I would like to state the following boundary conditions:
[tex] 1, z(0,t) = 0 [/tex]
[tex] 2, z'(0,t) = 0 [/tex]
[tex] 3, z(L,t) = 0 [/tex]
[tex] 4, z'(L,t) = 0 [/tex]
For a fixed - fixed beam.

However, I can't seem to derive this to a manageable equation.

The general solution is in the form of:
[tex] z(x,t) = (A \cos(\omega t)+ B \sin(\omega t)) \cdot ( C_1 \sin(\alpha x) + C_2 \cos(\alpha x) + C_3 sinh(\alpha x) + C_4 cosh(\alpha x)) [/tex]

Assuming the time term is not zero.
Boundary Condition 1 gives:
[tex] C_2 + C_4 = 0 [/tex]
BC 2:
[tex] C_1 + C_3 = 0 [/tex]
BC 3:
[tex] C_1 sin(\alpha L) + C_2 cos(\alpha L) -C_1 sinh(\alpha L) - C_2 cosh(\alpha L) = 0 [/tex]
BC 4:
[tex] C_1 cos(\alpha L) - C_2 sin(\alpha L) -C_1 cosh(\alpha L) - C_2 sinh(\alpha L) = 0 [/tex]

I can get an expression for C1 to C4 but it's incredibly long and I'm not sure what to do with it next. It doesn't derive to a nice equation as in the references.

Could someone with expertise have a look and see if I'm stating my equations correctly. And maybe help me along with the derivations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look again at your boundary conditions.

I agree z(0) = z(L) = 0

but why is

z'(0) = z'(L) = 0

Standard conditions for a beam problem. The beam is clamped at the ends, so both the displacement and the slope must be zero there.

1. What is resonance in a fixed-fixed beam?

Resonance in a fixed-fixed beam refers to the natural frequency at which the beam will vibrate when excited by an external force. This frequency is determined by the material properties and physical dimensions of the beam, and is typically the lowest possible frequency at which the beam can vibrate.

2. How is the resonance frequency calculated for a fixed-fixed beam?

The resonance frequency for a fixed-fixed beam can be calculated using the equation f = (n^2 * v) / (2 * L), where f is the resonance frequency, n is the mode number (1, 2, 3...), v is the speed of sound in the material, and L is the length of the beam. This equation assumes that the beam is uniform and has no mass at the ends.

3. What factors affect the resonance frequency of a fixed-fixed beam?

The resonance frequency of a fixed-fixed beam is affected by several factors, including the material properties of the beam (such as density and elasticity), the physical dimensions of the beam (such as length and cross-sectional area), and any external forces or loads applied to the beam.

4. How does resonance in a fixed-fixed beam impact its structural integrity?

Resonance in a fixed-fixed beam can potentially lead to structural failure if the vibration amplitude becomes too large. This is because the repeated oscillations at the resonance frequency can cause fatigue and stress on the beam, leading to cracks and eventual failure. It is important to design beams to avoid resonance frequencies, or to dampen the vibrations if they cannot be avoided.

5. Can resonance in a fixed-fixed beam be beneficial in any way?

In some cases, resonance in a fixed-fixed beam can be beneficial. For example, in musical instruments such as guitars or violins, the resonance frequency of the strings and body of the instrument are carefully tuned to produce a desired sound. Additionally, resonance can be utilized in engineering systems such as bridges or skyscrapers to reduce the impact of strong winds by allowing the structure to vibrate at its natural frequency without causing damage.