Gradient (dot) cross product of 2 differentiable vector functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of a mathematical equation involving the dot product and cross product of two differentiable vector functions, E and H. The attempt at solving the equation involves taking the cross product, dotting it with the gradient function, and then comparing it to the right side of the equation. However, a mistake is made in parameterizing the z value, leading to an incorrect result. The correct approach is to perform the derivations on both sides of the equation.
rasanders22
1. For two differentiable vector functions E and H, prove that (Delta (dot) (e X h) = H (dot) (delta X e) - e (dot) (Delta X h)

2. Cross product and dot product.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I took did the left side of the equation, I took the cross product of vectors e and h. I put in varables to make the math easier e= <x1,y1,z1> h=<x2,y2,z2>. Then I dotted them with the gradient function. I came out with ...

@=partial

@/@x(y1z2-z1y2)+@/@y(z1x2-x1z2)+@/@z(x1y2-y1x2)

Then I did the right side of the equations. I came up with the same answer except it was larger by a factor of 2.

So my answer was 2[@/@x(y1z2-z1y2)+@/@y(z1x2-x1z2)+@/@z(x1y2-y1x2)].

I tried plugging in some random values for my variable to see what would happen. I first tried e=<cos(x),sin(y),xy> and h=<sin(x),cos(y),yz>. I then plugged in random point (1,1,1) and compared the answers. The answer from the right side of the equation is twice as large as the left which is too be expected. I think my mistake was paramaterizing my z value. I did some other examples and made z a function of z only and everything zero's out. Would paramaterized functions not be considered differentialble vector functions?
Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
rasanders22 said:
1. For two differentiable vector functions E and H, prove that (Delta (dot) (e X h) = H (dot) (delta X e) - e (dot) (Delta X h)

2. Cross product and dot product.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I took did the left side of the equation, I took the cross product of vectors e and h. I put in varables to make the math easier e= <x1,y1,z1> h=<x2,y2,z2>. Then I dotted them with the gradient function. I came out with ...

@=partial

@/@x(y1z2-z1y2)+@/@y(z1x2-x1z2)+@/@z(x1y2-y1x2)

Then I did the right side of the equations. I came up with the same answer except it was larger by a factor of 2.

That is wrong. Perform the derivations on both sides.

ehild

1. What is the formula for the gradient cross product of two differentiable vector functions?

The formula for the gradient cross product of two differentiable vector functions f and g is given by: ∇ x (f x g) = (∇f) x g + f x (∇g) + (∇f) · (∇g)

2. What is the geometric interpretation of the gradient cross product?

The gradient cross product can be interpreted geometrically as the vector perpendicular to the plane formed by the gradients of the two vector functions. This vector is also known as the normal vector to the plane.

3. How is the gradient cross product related to the dot product?

The gradient cross product is related to the dot product by the identity: (∇f) · (∇g) = 0, which means that the dot product of two gradients is always equal to zero. This implies that the gradient cross product is always perpendicular to the gradients of the two vector functions.

4. What are the applications of the gradient cross product in physics?

The gradient cross product has several applications in physics, such as in electromagnetism where it is used to calculate the magnetic field generated by a current-carrying wire. It is also used in fluid dynamics to calculate the circulation and vorticity of a fluid flow.

5. Can the gradient cross product of two vector functions be zero?

Yes, the gradient cross product of two vector functions can be zero if the two functions are parallel or if one of the functions is constant. This means that the two gradients are either parallel or perpendicular to each other.