Calculating weight & accelleration due to gravity on other planets Help please

In summary, the problem involves finding the acceleration at the surface of Mars using Newton's law of gravitation and given information about the planet's radius and mass. The equation for the acceleration is a=G(M/R^2).
benji
Alright, well this problem was too hard to explain, so I just decided to scan it ;).

Here's the problem:
http://img108.exs.cx/img108/5815/approb.gif

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to figure out everything else once I get part (a). But I don't know where to start with this.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're given:
[tex]R_{Mars}=0.53R_{Earth}[/tex]
[tex]M_{Mars}=0.11M_{Earth}[/tex]
(radius and mass respectively).

The acceleration at the surface of a planet canbe obtained by Newton's law of gravitation:
[tex]F=G\frac{mM}{r^2}[/tex]
since F=ma, the acceleration an object undergoes a distance R from the center is:
[tex]a=G\frac{M}{R^2}[/tex].

Ahh!

Thank you very much Galileo.

1. How do I calculate weight on other planets?

To calculate weight on other planets, you will need to use the formula: Weight = Mass x Acceleration due to gravity. The mass of an object remains constant, but the acceleration due to gravity varies on different planets.

2. How is acceleration due to gravity different on other planets?

Acceleration due to gravity is different on other planets because it is determined by the mass and radius of the planet. Planets with larger masses and radii will have a stronger gravitational pull, resulting in a higher acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the average acceleration due to gravity on Earth?

The average acceleration due to gravity on Earth is 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²). This value is used as a standard for comparison when calculating acceleration due to gravity on other planets.

4. How do I calculate acceleration due to gravity on a planet with no known mass or radius?

If the mass and radius of a planet are not known, you can still estimate the acceleration due to gravity by using the formula: Acceleration due to gravity = (2 x π x Gravitational constant) / (Orbital period in seconds)². However, this will only give an approximate value.

5. Can weight and acceleration due to gravity be negative on other planets?

Yes, weight and acceleration due to gravity can be negative on other planets, depending on the direction of the gravitational pull. For example, if an object is thrown upwards on a planet with a weaker gravitational pull, the acceleration due to gravity will be negative as it is acting against the direction of motion.