Is Left Side of Gauss' Law equation not the total electric flux?

In summary: That is just extra information to throw you off. In summary, the total electric flux from a cubical box 40.0 cm on a side is 4700 Nm^2/C. According to Gauss' Law, this is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space. Therefore, the charge enclosed by the box is equal to 4700 * ε0 Coulombs. However, ε0 is a number and the answer should be given in Coulombs. The size of the box is not needed for this problem.
DocZaius

Homework Statement

The total electric flux from a cubical box 40.0 cm on a side is 4700 Nm^2/C. What charge is enclosed by the box?

Homework Equations

Gauss Law: surface integral of E-field-vector * dA-vector = Q_enclosed/epsilon naught

The Attempt at a Solution

The reason I am making this post is that I was under the impression that the left side of Gauss' Law is the total (or net) electric flux over the surface of the shape. Why am I even being given the sides of the box? 4700 Nm^2/C, being the total electric flux, is the left side of the equation in Gauss' Law!

Why is my answer of [4700 * epsilon naught] incorrect?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
DocZaius said:

Homework Statement

The total electric flux from a cubical box 40.0 cm on a side is 4700 Nm^2/C. What charge is enclosed by the box?

Homework Equations

Gauss Law: surface integral of E-field-vector * dA-vector = Q_enclosed/epsilon naught

The Attempt at a Solution

The reason I am making this post is that I was under the impression that the left side of Gauss' Law is the total (or net) electric flux over the surface of the shape. Why am I even being given the sides of the box? 4700 Nm^2/C, being the total electric flux, is the left side of the equation in Gauss' Law!

Why is my answer of [4700 * epsilon naught] incorrect?

Thanks.
That answer is right, but remember that ε0 is a number. You should be able to give your answer in Coulombs.

Also, you are right in saying you don't need the size of the box.

1. What is Gauss' Law and what does it represent?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental equation in the field of electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the total electric charge enclosed within that surface. It represents the relationship between electric charges and electric fields.

2. How is the left side of the Gauss' Law equation calculated and what does it represent?

The left side of the Gauss' Law equation is calculated by taking the integral of the electric field over a closed surface. This represents the total electric flux through that surface, or the amount of electric field passing through the surface.

3. Why is the left side of Gauss' Law not equal to the total electric flux?

The left side of the Gauss' Law equation represents the total electric flux through a closed surface, but it is not equal to the total electric flux. This is because the right side of the equation takes into account the charge enclosed within the surface, which can affect the electric field and thus the electric flux through the surface.

4. What factors can affect the left side of the Gauss' Law equation?

The left side of the Gauss' Law equation can be affected by the shape and orientation of the closed surface, as well as the distribution of electric charges within the surface. Additionally, the presence of other external electric fields can also impact the left side of the equation.

5. How does the left side of the Gauss' Law equation relate to the concept of electric flux?

The left side of the Gauss' Law equation is directly related to the concept of electric flux, as it represents the total amount of electric field passing through a closed surface. The value of the left side of the equation can help determine the strength and direction of the electric flux through the surface.