Scientic error expected in displacement vs time graph and velocity vs time graph

In summary, the conversation discusses the results of using a sensor to measure walking movements and their representations on a displacement vs time graph and a velocity vs time graph. The values obtained for the slope and mean were found to be -0.742 meters/second and -0.2774 meters/second, respectively. When considering experimental error, the speaker agrees that these values are within acceptable range, but is unsure of the reason why. The conversation also touches on the equations used to calculate error and suggests that potential systematic errors could be due to inaccuracies in walking straight or slight inaccuracies in the sensor measurements.
Crusaderking1
Scientific error expected in displacement vs time graph and velocity vs time graph

Homework Statement

When I used a sensor to measure my movements of walking, during the graph of displacement vs time, I received a slope of -0.742 meters/second, and on the velocity vs time graph the mean I received -0.2774 meters/second.

Do you consider these values to be the same within experimental error? Is this what is scientifically expected? Explain why or why not.

I answered yes, but I don't know why. Is it because I didn't walk in a perfectly straight line or is it because I moved my body to the extent that the wavelengths from the sensor hit me too early/late? Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To calculate error you usually need to do a large number of tests then calculate the mean then the mean deviation

[itex]\sum \frac{v_{i}}{N}\equiv \overline{v}[/itex] i to N for the mean

[itex]\sum \frac{\sqrt{(\overline{v} -v_{i})^{2}}}{N}[/itex] for the mean deviation

if your mean + or - your mean deviation includes your sensor measurement it would be with in experimental error, if not you'd need to explain the systematic errors that occurred or the possible random errorsedit* I'm assuming this is for a lab?

Liquidxlax said:
To calculate error you usually need to do a large number of tests then calculate the mean then the mean deviation

[itex]\sum \frac{v_{i}}{N}\equiv \overline{v}[/itex] i to N for the mean

[itex]\sum \frac{\sqrt{(\overline{v} -v_{i})^{2}}}{N}[/itex] for the mean deviation

if your mean + or - your mean deviation includes your sensor measurement it would be with in experimental error, if not you'd need to explain the systematic errors that occurred or the possible random errors

edit* I'm assuming this is for a lab?

Yes, its for lab.

Thanks. I'm going to stick with inaccuracies with with walking perfectly straight then as the main problem because I can't imagine the wavelengths being able to bounce off me without myself moving slightly out of place. I could mention there could be a minor systematic error with the sensor measuring slightly inaccurate.

1. What is a scientific error in displacement vs time graph and velocity vs time graph?

A scientific error in displacement vs time graph and velocity vs time graph refers to a discrepancy between the expected or theoretical values and the actual values obtained during an experiment or scientific study. This can be caused by various factors such as human error, equipment malfunction, or external factors.

2. How do you determine the magnitude of scientific error in displacement vs time graph and velocity vs time graph?

The magnitude of scientific error in displacement vs time graph and velocity vs time graph can be determined by calculating the difference between the expected value and the actual value, and then expressing it as a percentage of the expected value. This is known as percent error.

3. What factors can contribute to scientific error in displacement vs time graph and velocity vs time graph?

There are several factors that can contribute to scientific error in displacement vs time graph and velocity vs time graph. These include human error, limitations of equipment or measurement tools, environmental factors, and unaccounted variables that may affect the outcome of the experiment.

4. How can scientific error be minimized in displacement vs time graph and velocity vs time graph?

To minimize scientific error in displacement vs time graph and velocity vs time graph, it is important to carefully plan and design the experiment, use accurate and precise measurement tools, and conduct multiple trials. It is also important to identify and control for any potential sources of error and to carefully analyze the data collected.

5. Can scientific error ever be completely eliminated in displacement vs time graph and velocity vs time graph?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate scientific error in displacement vs time graph and velocity vs time graph. However, by following proper experimental procedures and taking necessary precautions, the magnitude of the error can be minimized and the reliability of the results can be improved.