Just a quick question on the identity matrix

In summary, the identity matrix is considered an elementary matrix and is derived from the identity matrix using row-reduction steps. These steps include multiplying a row by a constant, swapping two rows, or replacing a row by itself plus or minus a constant times another row. There is no restriction for rescaling with a constant of 1. Swapping a row with itself, also known as "self-swapping," is allowed and does not affect the determinant. There is no restriction on this operation.
Jyupiter
I'm just wondering, is an identity matrix, say I3 considered as an elementary matrix? It's obviously possible, since we can multiply any row of I with a constant 1. I'm just curious if there is a restriction for rescaling with a constant 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the identity matrix is an elementary matrix (perhaps the most elementary!). An "elementary matrix" is any matrix that is derived from the identity matrix by doing anyone of the three "row-reduction" steps:
1) Multiply every number in a single row by a constant.
2) Swap two rows.
3) Replace one row by itself plus or minus a constant times another row.

You can get the identity matrix from the matrix by, as you say "multiply every number in one row by the constant 1" or by "replace one row by itself plus or minus 0 times another row".

Thanks for the quick reply! What you said made sense. About the self-swapping row operation though, Hefferon's text stated that it's not allowed (said it has something to do with determinants later; I'm not that far into LA yet!). Is that restriction not the convention?

I've never heard of such a restriction. If you are talking about determinants (elementary matrices and row-reduction are used for much more) then swapping two rows just multiplies the determinant by -1.

I'm sorry for being unclear in my previous reply. What I meant by "self-swapping" is replacing a row in a matrix by itself, e.g. Row 2 swaps with Row 2. I have no idea what determinants are yet, but perhaps its because of this that "self-swapping" is not allowed? As you could always arbitrarily replace a row by itself and as a result you'll get a different answer... In any case, I apologize if I am being a tad bit confusing!

1. What is an identity matrix?

An identity matrix is a square matrix with 1s on the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else. It is typically denoted by the letter I or by a subscripted letter I to indicate the size of the matrix.

2. What is the purpose of an identity matrix?

An identity matrix serves as the equivalent of the number 1 in matrix multiplication. When multiplied by another matrix, the identity matrix does not change the value of the matrix, similar to how multiplying a number by 1 does not change its value.

3. How do you create an identity matrix?

An identity matrix can be created by setting the main diagonal elements to 1 and all other elements to 0. The size of the matrix can also be specified.

4. What are some applications of an identity matrix?

An identity matrix is commonly used in linear algebra and matrix operations. It is also used in computer graphics to transform objects, in machine learning algorithms, and in solving systems of linear equations.

5. Can an identity matrix be of any size?

Yes, an identity matrix can be of any square size. It is typically denoted as an n x n matrix, where n represents the number of rows and columns.