Polarization: minimum thickness for quater-wave plate

In summary, a certain bifringement material with indexes of refraction n1 and n2 for the two perpendicular components of linearly polarized light must have a minimum thickness of d=λ0/[4(n1-n2)] in order to function as a quarter-wave plate, where λ0 is the wavelength in vacuum. This is because the number of wavelengths for each component within the material must differ by 1/4. Crystal quartz is the most commonly used material for this purpose, and the thickness is typically less than 100um depending on the wavelength being used. If assistance is needed with designing a wave plate, you can contact charles.chen@photonik.com.sg for help.
ProPatto16
a certain bifringement material has indexes of refraction n1 and n2 for the two perpendicular components of linearly polarized light passing through it. the corresponding wavelengths are λ10/n1 and λ20/n2, where λ0 is wavelength in vacuum. If crystal is to function as a quarter-wave plate, the number of wavelengths of each component within a material must differ by 1/4. show that the minimum thickness for a quarter-wave plate is

d=λ0/[4(n1-n2)]

i have no idea. i can see all the numbers are there, but i can't see how to actually "show" it.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ProPatto16 said:
a certain bifringement material has indexes of refraction n1 and n2 for the two perpendicular components of linearly polarized light passing through it. the corresponding wavelengths are λ10/n1 and λ20/n2, where λ0 is wavelength in vacuum. If crystal is to function as a quarter-wave plate, the number of wavelengths of each component within a material must differ by 1/4. show that the minimum thickness for a quarter-wave plate is

d=λ0/[4(n1-n2)]

i have no idea. i can see all the numbers are there, but i can't see how to actually "show" it.

thanks

Yes, usually true zero-order wave plate is very thin, <100um depends on wavelength.
The mostly used material is crystal quartz.
What optical wavelength you are using?
Maybe I can help to design, email: charles.chen@photonik.com.sg

1. What is polarization and how does it relate to a quarter-wave plate?

Polarization refers to the orientation of electromagnetic waves, such as light, as they travel through space. A quarter-wave plate is a thin optical device that can manipulate the polarization of light passing through it.

2. What is the minimum thickness required for a quarter-wave plate to function properly?

The minimum thickness for a quarter-wave plate depends on the wavelength of the light passing through it. It is typically around one-quarter of the wavelength, hence the name "quarter-wave" plate.

3. How does the thickness of a quarter-wave plate affect its performance?

The thickness of a quarter-wave plate determines the amount of phase shift it can induce on the passing light. The greater the phase shift, the more effective the plate is at manipulating polarization. Thus, a thicker plate may provide better performance but may also be more expensive and bulkier.

4. Can a quarter-wave plate work with any type of light?

A quarter-wave plate can work with any type of light as long as the light is polarized. If the light is not polarized, the plate will have no effect on it.

5. Are there any limitations to the minimum thickness of a quarter-wave plate?

Yes, there are practical limitations to the minimum thickness of a quarter-wave plate. As the thickness decreases, the manufacturing process becomes more challenging and the plate becomes more susceptible to damage. Additionally, extremely thin plates may not provide enough phase shift to effectively manipulate polarization.