Friction increase decrease Help

In summary: So I would be pushing on it more with the angle I am at. I think this would make more sense if it said the friction force decreases as the angle of force becomes less.
jonochui

Homework Statement

In Fig. 6-12, if the box is stationary and the angle θ between the horizontal and force is increased somewhat, do the following quantities increase, decrease, or remain the same?

http://i.imgur.com/YcOFS.jpg

a) Fx
b) fs
c) FN
d) fs, max
e) If, instead, the box is sliding and θ is increased, does the magnitude of the frictional force on the box increase, decrease, or remain the same?

The Attempt at a Solution

This is correct. But why for a, b, d. Please be help.
a) decrease
b) decrease
c) increase
d) increase
e) increase

Physics news on Phys.org
See the sketch below,

Attachments

• block074.jpg
    block074.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 1,967
I am resurrecting this old post because I am on the same problem. I understand all of these answers except for b. I do not understand and it seems counter intuitive to me to think that the higher my angle of force is on a box the lower the friction force becomes. Wouldn't that mean that i would have an easier time moving something by pushing on it from above than I would from the side?

vysero said:
I am resurrecting this old post because I am on the same problem. I understand all of these answers except for b. I do not understand and it seems counter intuitive to me to think that the higher my angle of force is on a box the lower the friction force becomes. Wouldn't that mean that i would have an easier time moving something by pushing on it from above than I would from the side?

Yes, but you are not going much further since Fx is reduced. If you are lifting from above, you are not moving to where you are intended to go.

So the force decreases and that's why the friction force decreases?

vysero said:
So the force decreases and that's why the friction force decreases?

Yes, friction depends on Pressing force or Normal force. Less pressing force means less friction.

See that's why this makes no sense to me. Because we are increasing that angle which means I am pressing on it with more and more weight... I thought this made sense but now its clear to me that I don't know why that would decrease. Because its not saying I am lifting the box it says I am esentually going from pushing on the corner to standing on top of the box.

Last edited:

1. How does friction affect the speed of an object?

Friction slows down the speed of an object by creating resistance against its motion. The rougher the surface, the more friction there is, and the slower the object will move.

2. What factors can increase friction?

There are several factors that can increase friction, such as the texture and roughness of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the object, and the force of the motion. Additionally, adding lubrication or increasing the surface area in contact can also increase friction.

3. How can friction be decreased?

Friction can be decreased by using a smoother surface or adding lubrication between the surfaces in contact. Reducing the weight of the object or decreasing the force of motion can also decrease friction.

4. Why is friction important in everyday life?

Friction is important in everyday life because it helps us to walk, hold objects, and drive vehicles safely. It also plays a crucial role in many industrial processes, such as braking systems and manufacturing processes.

5. How does friction impact the efficiency of machines?

Friction can decrease the efficiency of machines by creating heat, which leads to energy loss. However, friction also allows for the proper functioning of many machines, such as car engines and conveyor belts.