Weight Change for Man Flying East to West

In summary, the conversation discusses the weight of a man in a plane flying due east above the equator at 600mph and how it would change if the plane turns around and flies due west. The estimated weight difference ranges from approximately 201.6 pounds to 203 pounds, depending on factors such as the Earth's radius and the plane's height. The topic also leads to a discussion about how weight may vary on other planets with different sizes and rotational speeds.
ceptimus
A man in a plane flying due east above the equator at 600mph weighs 200 pounds. How much heavier will he weigh, if the plane turns around and flies due west?

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm
wild guess
::approx 203 pounds::

-- AI

slightly different...

Considering g=9.81m/s² (sea level), H_plane=10km, and Earth_radius=6377km
::: 201.6 pounds :::

I get the same answer as Rogerio. The question asked how much heavier the man weighs, and the answer I got is
:: 1.595 pounds ::

I used Earth radius = 6378.137 km, plane height = 38,920.6 ft (this gives a flight radius of 6,390,000 metres)

I used a sidereal day of 86,164.1 seconds, and this results in a centripetal acceleration of 0.084356 m/s/s when flying east, and 0.006119 m/s/s when flying west.

:eek: I never considered I'd weigh more if I traveled west! There goes my plan of moving west continuously to synchronize my sleep schedule with normal daylight hours. I guess I'll just have to travel really far east :biggrin:

(No, this is not at all a serious response; I may be a biologist, but they did make me take some basic physics classes).

I've always wondered something. I know Jupiter is quite a bit bigger than earth, but has a much shorter day. How much would you weigh on Jupiter taking into account this?

What is weight change for a man flying east to west?

The weight change for a man flying east to west refers to the change in weight that occurs when a person travels from a location in the eastern hemisphere to a location in the western hemisphere.

Why does weight change occur during east to west travel?

The weight change occurs due to the shift in gravitational force when traveling from the eastern hemisphere, where the force of gravity is stronger, to the western hemisphere, where it is weaker.

How much weight change can occur during east to west travel?

The amount of weight change can vary depending on the distance and direction of travel, as well as the individual's body composition. On average, a person may experience a weight change of 0.5-1 pounds per hour of travel.

Does weight change affect the body in any other ways?

Yes, weight change can also affect the body's fluid balance and may cause temporary bloating or dehydration. It can also impact the body's perception of hunger and fullness, leading to changes in eating habits.

Is there anything a person can do to prevent weight change during east to west travel?

To minimize weight change, it is recommended to stay hydrated, limit alcohol and caffeine intake, and engage in light physical activity during the flight. It is also important to maintain a healthy and balanced diet before and after traveling.