Crackpot Forum - Discuss Strange Claims Here!

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter FlexGunship
  • Start date
In summary: PF is much more heavily moderated than randi.org and you'll see plenty of crackpot ideas there.In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of having a separate forum for crackpot discussions on the website PF (Physics Forums). Some members believe it would be entertaining to see where these discussions go, while others argue that it would lead to the spread of misinformation and a negative image for the site. It is also mentioned that there are already other forums for these types of discussions, such as the James Randi Educational Foundation's forum. In the end, the decision is made to continue moderating and not allow crackpot discussions on PF.
FlexGunship
Gold Member
I know PF doesn't condone crackpottery (or, as near as I can tell, any pottery at all), but instead of locking threads instantly, maybe they could be moved to a crackpot forum. It's just that... I don't know... sometimes I want to see where they go; see what happens to them! Sometimes I have something to say and I can't because it's all locked up. :frown:

When someone makes a claim like: "we all know aliens are responsible for Cheetos, but why can't..." I just want to see what happens!

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's locked or deleted, no more discussion happens. It's the end.

FlexGunship said:
I know PF doesn't condone crackpottery (or, as near as I can tell, any pottery at all), but instead of locking threads instantly, maybe they could be moved to a crackpot forum. It's just that... I don't know... sometimes I want to see where they go; see what happens to them! Sometimes I have something to say and I can't because it's all locked up. :frown:

We've tried it before, didn't work. Nutters hang around and infect other parts of the site.

Evo said:
If it's locked or deleted, no more discussion happens. It's the end.

What a wonderfully totalitarian answer! :tongue:

Greg Bernhardt said:
We've tried it before, didn't work. Nutters hang around and infect other parts of the site.

Yeah, okay, I guess if you've tried it and it sucked, then there's no point in repeating a mistake. Reading locked threads is one of those wonderful distractions like guessing what roadkill used to be and inventing a narrative to explain the lunatic ramblings of bus station occupants.

Thanks to both of you for the replies.

I'll admit it is fun reading crazy threads but if we allow any kind of crackpot discussion it will be like cracking a hole into a weak dam. We'd get thread upon thread of ridiculous, unsupported statements and personal theories that would make the site look bad and be a nightmare to moderate.

The members that post there would also be likely to migrate elsewhere to vomit their rubbish. Though it is fun anymore crackpottery and it really wouldn't be.

Flex,

Funny coincidence you posted this because the very subject came up during chat on Sunday. Per chance, did you pop in when I wasn't there and discuss it ?

Rhody...

(...shhh.. quiet note to moderators... maybe time to lock this thread's insidious liberal "go-with-the-flow" ideas...! :tongue2:)

rhody said:
Flex,

Funny coincidence you posted this because the very subject came up during chat on Sunday. Per chance, did you pop in when I wasn't there and discuss it ?

Rhody...

No, I wasn't there, sorry... but I believe it. I've noticed I'm incredibly psychic... I just don't mention it around here because the thread would get locked.

There are plenty of other forums that host crackpotness. However, I think the funnest part of PF is when the very knowledgeable advisers and mentors rip into someone (I'm looking at your Vanadium and Zz) :D. I wonder if you get such hilariousness at a more crackpot friendly forum.

FlexGunship said:
No, I wasn't there, sorry... but I believe it. I've noticed I'm incredibly psychic... I just don't mention it around here because the thread would get locked.
Funny so am I o:) :biggrin: I just note the seemingly "odd coincidences" and how things tend (mostly) to go my way, especially with my BMW motorcycle. I find it amusing, am pleased by it. Hopefully, those kind of "coincidences" happen to you as well. Good karma... On a serious note, crackpots, while amusing quickly wear me down and after awhile I find myself wasting time with them, I get frustrated, then I simply walk away.

Rhody...

If you are one step ahead of everyone else, they'll call you a genius.

If you are two steps ahead they'll call you a crackpot.

cmb said:
If you are one step ahead of everyone else, they'll call you a genius.

If you are two steps ahead they'll call you a crackpot.

The epigram of crackpots everywhere usually followed by a spew of accusations towards scientific dogma, censorship and Nazis.

Ryan_m_b said:
The epigram of crackpots everywhere usually followed by a spew of accusations towards scientific dogma, censorship and Nazis.

Being called a crackpot does not mean you are two steps ahead though. A point of logic you can expect them to fail to comprehend.

The is already a forum for crackpots. It's called "the rest of the internet".

For those of you who like to read (or post) crackpot stuff, I highly recommend forums.randi.org. (The forum of the James Randi Educational Foundation).

1. What is "Crackpot Forum" and what is its purpose?

"Crackpot Forum" is an online platform for discussing and evaluating claims that are considered strange, unproven, or controversial. Its purpose is to provide a space for open-minded discussion and critical thinking about these claims.

2. Who can participate in discussions on "Crackpot Forum"?

Anyone who is interested in discussing and evaluating strange claims is welcome to participate on "Crackpot Forum". However, it is important to maintain a respectful and open-minded attitude towards all perspectives.

3. Are all claims discussed on "Crackpot Forum" considered valid or proven?

No, the purpose of "Crackpot Forum" is to have open discussions about strange claims, not to validate or prove them. It is up to the individual participants to critically evaluate the claims and come to their own conclusions.

4. Can I present my own strange claims on "Crackpot Forum"?

Yes, "Crackpot Forum" welcomes all individuals to present their own strange claims for discussion. However, it is important to also be open to criticism and differing perspectives.

5. Is "Crackpot Forum" a reliable source for information on strange claims?

No, "Crackpot Forum" should not be used as a reliable source of information. It is simply a platform for discussion and critical thinking, and the validity of claims discussed on the forum should be further researched and evaluated elsewhere.