New Ideas 4th Year Project: Production/Renewable Energy

In summary: I learned a lot and it showed in the end product. Ask around the faculty- they will be more than happy to help guide you.
ashwin1590
Hey guys I am new to PF...m searching for new innovative ideas basically in production or renewable energy but m not able to get any...any suggestions??..

Engineering news on Phys.org
4th year where? College is a bit different from High School.

I don't really understand the OP? You want us to give you project ideas? Are they not provided by your university?

What areas are you interested in?

my university didnt give any topics for project...we have to choose our own topic...m in interested in renewable energy or anything related to production...any innovative idea that can be used in daily life...

It is very common for 4th-year University students to be expected to think up their own project topic. You want to finesse this, go ask around the graduate school - you know, potential thesis supervisors? Ask what research the college is doing.

Apart from that - renewable energy is a big field. We do a lot of this in NZ.
Look around your area, see what is needed. The actual innovation need not be great - you are not writing a thesis right?

So - renewable energies are all solar ... either directly by solar heating or photoelectric effect or indirectly through wind, waves, streams, plants, that sort of thing. The main point is to find some way of getting energy faster than you can use it up ... coal is ultimately solar and so "renewable" but it takes a very long time to make coal in the ground so we are using it much faster than it can be created see? Same with oil.

So you want to look for a common application which uses up it's fuel quickly - say it is fossil-fuel based, and look for some other way to power it so it doesn't.

On the production angle - I do know of a project but it may be pricey. The "reprap" is a rapid prototyper (a 3D printer) whose main design parameter is that it can print it's own parts ... as much as possible. Right now it can print many of it's own parts but not all ... add to the number of parts it can print and you have got yourself an innovation. There are more substantial research goals in there too.
http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page

Hey thanks for the info but m searching something purely mechanical...i have this concept in mind hybrid solar and wind energy..known as "wind from sun power plant"..but the point is this project is too large in size and i want to concise it some meters.
check this link u might like it.
http://www.jxca.org/

Yeah? You could build that in small scale ... though, if you used a parabolic reflector instead of a dark patch you will heat a small patch of air quickly and create a steady stream. Set the focus directly below the pipe and put a light fan-and-motor inside the pipe to run backwards as a generator.

This would give you data to extrapolate to the larger scale.

The first bit of advice if this is Uni engineering project is:

The aim is not to develop something new. The aim is to demonstrate you can think like an engineer and apply your knowledge .
Second, is to not do a design and build. The logistics of doing this with just university machine shop support are a nightmare. They are more difficult to gain marks in, and you WILL run into problems getting stuff made. I know this from first hand experience.

The key to good marks, is to look at one single aspect. eg:

"Design of a wing turbine". Is a terrible starting point.
"Effect of flow inteference on the efficiency of a turbine blades". Is a much better project, as the scope is really focused.

So remember, aim and scope, always.

It also depends on the subjects you enjoy and are good at. What modules have you taken and enjoy.

Last edited:
xxChrisxx said:
The first bit of advice if this is Uni engineering project is:

The aim is not to develop something new. The aim is to demonstrate you can think like an engineer and apply your knowledge .
Second, is to not do a design and build. The logistics of doing this with just university machine shop support are a nightmare. They are more difficult to gain marks in, and you WILL run into problems getting stuff made. I know this from first hand experience.

The key to good marks, is to look at one single aspect. eg:

"Design of a wing turbine". Is a terrible starting point.
"Effect of flow inteference on the efficiency of a turbine blades". Is a much better project, as the scope is really focused.

So remember, aim and scope, always.

It also depends on the subjects you enjoy and are good at. What modules have you taken and enjoy.

The OP should be doing what satisfies him. I know lost of people who physically built things for their projects including me. Yes it was a nightmare and very stressful but I don't regret it one bit. It's never been done before, it worked, and I am probably going to end up with a published paper out of it. You make a project what you want you want out of it.

skaboy607 said:
The OP should be doing what satisfies him. I know lost of people who physically built things for their projects including me. Yes it was a nightmare and very stressful but I don't regret it one bit. It's never been done before, it worked, and I am probably going to end up with a published paper out of it. You make a project what you want you want out of it.

All we can do is advise, and a narrow scope project that is non build oriented is far easier to smash a 1st on. As it's easier to show depth of knowledge, and avoids abusively long leads times from the machine shop.

If this is for his undergraduate engineering project, then the bottom line is marks, marks, marks. It makes sense to take the pragmatic approach.

xxChrisxx said:
If this is for his undergraduate engineering project, then the bottom line is marks, marks, marks. It makes sense to take the pragmatic approach.

I'll agree with that.

It is important you get good marks. For me, I won't work hard at something unless it interests me, a paper all on theory and background does not and won't motivate me so ultimately I won't end up with good grades. Got to know you are and how you work.

Guys the idea is going to fetch me marks. The project is of 18 credits in my university and the people around here are asking for something new and innovative with design and every testing on it. I am just asking for some ideas guys...

Anyone into AGV?...

1. What is a 4th year project in relation to production and renewable energy?

A 4th year project is a research project that is typically completed during the final year of a degree program. In the context of production and renewable energy, it involves conducting research and developing a solution or innovation that addresses a specific problem or advances the field in some way.

2. What are some examples of potential 4th year projects in production and renewable energy?

Some examples of potential 4th year projects in this field could include designing a more efficient wind turbine, developing a method for converting waste into renewable energy, or creating a sustainable production process for a specific product.

3. How can a 4th year project in production and renewable energy contribute to the field?

A 4th year project in this field can contribute to the field by providing new insights, solutions, or innovations that can help improve or advance the production and use of renewable energy. It can also add to the existing body of knowledge and serve as a starting point for future research and development.

4. What skills are required for a successful 4th year project in production and renewable energy?

Some key skills that are required for a successful 4th year project in this field include research and critical thinking skills, technical skills related to the specific project, project management skills, and the ability to work independently and as part of a team.

5. How can a 4th year project in production and renewable energy be beneficial for future career opportunities?

A 4th year project in this field can be beneficial for future career opportunities as it allows students to gain hands-on experience in their field of study, develop technical and research skills, and demonstrate their ability to work on complex projects. It can also serve as a portfolio piece or highlight of their expertise when applying for jobs or graduate programs related to production and renewable energy.