Determine rotation matrix given angular velocity tensor and time

In summary, to determine the rotation matrix after t seconds, you can use the formula R(t) = exp(W*t) * R(0) where W is the angular velocity tensor matrix and R(0) is the initial rotation matrix. This approach is valid as the angular velocity tensor matrix is a representation of the time derivative of the rotation matrix.
Cade

Homework Statement

I'm given an angular velocity tensor as shown.
46wl4.png

From this, I can extract the angular velocity. As I understand it, the angular velocity tensor matrix is the derivative of the rotation matrix. I have to determine the rotation matrix after t seconds.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From this, I could extract the angular velocity, convert it to a quaternion, multiply it by t and then convert it to a rotation matrix, but I'm not sure if this is the way to go.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Your approach to extract the angular velocity and convert it to a quaternion is correct. However, instead of multiplying it by t, you can directly use the angular velocity tensor matrix to determine the rotation matrix after t seconds. The angular velocity tensor matrix is a representation of the time derivative of the rotation matrix, so using it to determine the rotation matrix after t seconds is a valid approach.

To do this, you can use the formula:

R(t) = exp(W*t) * R(0)

where R(t) is the rotation matrix after t seconds, W is the angular velocity tensor matrix, and R(0) is the initial rotation matrix.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your problem!

What is a rotation matrix?

A rotation matrix is a mathematical tool used to describe the rotation of an object in three-dimensional space. It is a square matrix that represents the orientation of an object relative to a fixed coordinate system.

What is an angular velocity tensor?

An angular velocity tensor is a mathematical representation of the rate of change of angular displacement of an object in three-dimensional space. It is a 3x3 matrix that describes the angular velocity of an object along each of its three axes.

How do you determine a rotation matrix from an angular velocity tensor and time?

To determine a rotation matrix, you first need to calculate the angular displacement of the object using the angular velocity tensor and time. Then, you can use this angular displacement to construct a rotation matrix using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

Can a rotation matrix change over time?

Yes, a rotation matrix can change over time if the angular velocity of the object is not constant. This means that the object is rotating at a varying speed or along multiple axes, resulting in a changing rotation matrix.

What are some real-life applications of determining rotation matrices?

Rotation matrices have various applications in fields such as robotics, computer graphics, and physics. They are used to describe the orientation of objects in 3D space, which is essential for tasks such as controlling the movement of robots or rendering 3D graphics in video games and animations.