Why does i(t)=dq(t)/dt give the value of AC current only?

In summary: Basically, you are correct in that the equation i(t)=dq(t)/dt would yield zero. However, the current is still there (albeit at a lower level) because the charges are moving.
gikiian
I know the mathematical and geometrical reason, but does there exist a physical interpretation behind this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what you mean.
That formula works for DC as well. An "exotic" example would be a single electron pump where the (dc) current is given by the number of electrons pumped per second...

f95toli said:
I am not sure what you mean.
That formula works for DC as well. An "exotic" example would be a single electron pump where the (dc) current is given by the number of electrons pumped per second...

I don't believe it does. Say that a constant 10 Coulombs of charge per second is flowing through a conductor. This would be equivalent of 10 Amps of current. The rate of change in Coulombs per second is zero. So the equation i(t)=dq(t)/dt would yield zero also.

2milehi said:
I don't believe it does. Say that a constant 10 Coulombs of charge per second is flowing through a conductor. This would be equivalent of 10 Amps of current. The rate of change in Coulombs per second is zero. So the equation i(t)=dq(t)/dt would yield zero also.
!? The rate at which charges move is dq/dt. That is the current. You appear to be confusing dq/dt with d2q/dt2. The rate of change of charge flow is not the same as the rate of charge flow.

AM

2milehi said:
This would be equivalent of 10 Amps of current.

No, it is 10 amps of current.

Andrew Mason said:
!? The rate at which charges move is dq/dt. That is the current. You appear to be confusing dq/dt with d2q/dt2. The rate of change of charge flow is not the same as the rate of charge flow.

AM

Say at t = 2 seconds there is 10 Coulombs flowing in the conductor, at t = 3 seconds there is 10 Coulombs flowing in the conductor. A simplified way of figuring dq/dt would be (10 - 10) / (3 - 2) = 0. A slope of a horizontal line is always zero.

d2q/dt2 is the rate of change of the rate of change.

Last edited:
Say at t = 2 seconds there is 10 Coulombs flowing in the conductor

There is or there are?

But no, there are 10 coulombs per second flowing.

If you re-examine your units you will understand what everyone is telling you.

2milehi said:

It helps if you think in terms of current DENSITY at first:
J = ρ.v = ρ.(dx/dt)

Now consider a cross-section of your conductor and perform a surface integral, the result:
I = (dq/dx) (dx/dt) = dq/dt

So the proper interpretation of the dq/dt term is the rate of charges that cross a certain reference surface. So even for a DC current of, say, 10 A, then every second 10 C cross that surface.

Studiot said:
There is or there are?

But no, there are 10 coulombs per second flowing.

If you re-examine your units you will understand what everyone is telling you.

OK I get it now. I was thinking in terms of current flow, not charge flow. At t=2, 20 coulombs have flown through a conductor. At t=3 30 coulombs have flown through a conductor. So (30 - 20) / (3 - 2) = 10 coulombs per second. The coulomb count is accumulative.

Sorry for the confusion (and bad grammar) - watching a two-year old can cause a lack of concentration.

Last edited:

1. Why is i(t) equal to the derivative of q(t) with respect to time for AC current?

This is because AC current is defined as a varying current that changes direction periodically. This means that the rate of change of charge, or the derivative of charge with respect to time, is equal to the current at any given moment.

2. Can i(t) also represent DC current?

No, i(t) only represents AC current. This is because DC current is constant and does not vary with time, so the derivative of charge with respect to time would always be 0.

3. How does i(t) relate to the amplitude of AC current?

The amplitude of AC current is represented by the peak value of the current waveform. This value is equal to the maximum rate of change of charge, or the maximum value of the derivative of charge with respect to time, which is i(t).

4. Does i(t) have any direction associated with it?

No, i(t) is a scalar quantity and does not have a direction. It represents the magnitude of the AC current at any given moment.

5. Why is i(t) important in AC circuit analysis?

i(t) is important because it is the variable that represents the flow of electric charge in an AC circuit. By understanding the behavior of i(t), we can analyze and predict the behavior of AC circuits and design them for specific purposes.