How to evaluate int 2x-3y dA using change of variables

In summary, we are using a change of variables to evaluate the integral of 2x-3y over the region R bounded by the graphs of x+y=1, x+y=2, 2x-3y=2, and 2x-3y+5. The Jacobian is -1/5 and the limits of integration are 1<=u<=2 and 2<=v<=5. However, there was a typo in the bounds for u, which should be 1 to 2. The resulting integral is -21/5 and this is a valid answer due to the negative nature of the Jacobian and the function being integrated.
AeroFunk
Let R be the region bounded by the graphs of x+y=1, x+y=2, 2x-3y=2, and 2x-3y+5. Use the change of variables:
[tex]
x=1/5(3u+v)[/tex]
[tex]y=1/5(2u-v)[/tex]
to evaluate the integral:
[tex]
\iint(2x-3y)\,dA
[/tex]

I found the jachobian to be -1/5
and the limits of integration to be
1<=u<=2
2<=v<=5

so i set up the integral like this:
[tex]
\frac{-1}{5}\int_{2}^{5}\int_{2}^{1} vdv[/tex]

and I get -21/5 which doesn't seem right(a negitive number??),what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm getting -21/10, but that's just because you forgot a 1/2 in the integration. I am wondering, though, why your bounds of integration on u are going from 2 to 1 instead of 1 to 2, especially since you don't evalute the integral as such.

What's wrong with a negative number? The integral in u-v obviously isn't going to be negative, and the Jacobian is in fact negative, so obviously the answer should be negative. From the x-y integral, we're integrating 2x-3y. If y is sufficiently large compared to x, the integral will be negative, as in this case.

--J

Oh sorry the 2 to 1 is just a typo , and lol yea it would be negitive (have been doing to many volume problems lately)

thanks for the help

1. What is the purpose of using change of variables to evaluate an integral?

The purpose of using change of variables is to simplify the integral by transforming it into a new coordinate system where the integral is easier to evaluate. This can often lead to more efficient and accurate solutions.

2. How do I choose the appropriate change of variables for a given integral?

You can choose a change of variables by identifying any patterns or symmetries in the integrand and finding a transformation that will eliminate them. Another approach is to choose a transformation that will result in a simpler integrand, such as polar coordinates for integrals involving circles or ellipses.

3. What is the process for evaluating an integral using change of variables?

The process involves first choosing an appropriate transformation and then applying the change of variables formula to the integral. This will result in a new integral in terms of the new variables, which can then be evaluated using standard integration techniques. Finally, the result is transformed back into the original coordinates.

4. Can change of variables be applied to any type of integral?

Yes, change of variables can be applied to any integral as long as an appropriate transformation can be found. However, it may not always result in a simpler integral or lead to a more efficient solution.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions when using change of variables?

Yes, there are some limitations and restrictions when using change of variables. The transformation must be one-to-one and differentiable, and the limits of integration must also be adjusted accordingly. Additionally, some transformations may introduce singularities or result in an infinite integral, which may require further analysis.