What is the Pressure on Snow from a Person Standing on Snowshoes?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the pressure on snow under a person weighing 900 N standing on snowshoes with an area of 2500 cm2 each. The formula used is P=F/A and after attempting a solution, the final answer is determined to be 1800 Pa. However, the answer key gives the answer as 0.18 Pa, which is incorrect. The correct unit for the answer should be in Pa, as all the other answer choices are in Pa.
physgrl

Homework Statement

6. A person weighing 900 N is standing on snowshoes. Each snowshoe has an area of 2500 cm2. Find the pressure on the snow.

a. 0.18 Pa
b. 0.36 Pa
c. 1800 Pa
d. 3600 Pa

Homework Equations

P=F/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing F/(2*(A))
A=2500cm2/1002cm2 *1m2=.25
P=900/(2+.25)
P=1800

but the answer key says it it .18 instead

Physics news on Phys.org
A Pascal is 1 Newton per square meter. I agree with your answer.

Nope ignore me

physgrl
Your answer looks right to me (if you want the answer in Pa) - it can be done in your head. You didn't actually put in the units for your answer so you are strictly not right or wrong - your answer is just incomplete.
The pressure in N/cmsq is 0.18 but which unit is given in the mark scheme?

The answers are all in Pa

So you are right and 'the answer' looks wrong.

Ok lol

1. What is the equation for pressure?

The equation for pressure is P = F/A, where P represents pressure, F represents force, and A represents area.

2. How does pressure affect an object?

Pressure can affect an object by causing it to compress, expand, or change shape. It can also cause movement or deformation in the object.

3. What are the units of pressure?

The units of pressure can vary depending on the system of measurement used. In the International System of Units (SI), pressure is measured in pascals (Pa). In the United States Customary System, pressure is measured in pounds per square inch (psi).

4. How is pressure related to force and area?

Pressure is directly proportional to force and inversely proportional to area. This means that as force increases, pressure also increases, and as area increases, pressure decreases.

5. What are some real-life examples of pressure?

Some real-life examples of pressure include car tires being inflated, a person standing on a surface, and a hydraulic lift system. Pressure is also important in weather systems, scuba diving, and blood pressure in the human body.