Relationship of Basis to Dual Basis

In summary, the dual of a vector space is the set of linear functions from the vector space to the real numbers. In R^n, the dual basis can be represented by the row vectors of the inverse of the matrix whose column vectors form the basis for R^n. In general finite-dimensional vector spaces, finding a dual basis is not difficult as it follows the same process as in R^n. However, in infinite dimensions, the dual of the dual is always isomorphic to the original vector space.
marschmellow
If we're working in R^n and we consider the elements of a basis for R^n to be the column vectors of an nxn invertible matrix B, then what is the relationship between B and the matrix whose row vectors represent elements of the corresponding dual basis for R^n*? My guess, which Wikipedia helped me formulate, is that the row vectors of the inverse of B constitute the dual basis, but I'm still not sure. Also, if we're working in general finite-dimensional vector spaces, does the process of finding a dual basis become harder, or is it trivial once you know how to do it for R^n?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The "dual" of a vector space, V, is the set of linear functions from V to the real numbers. If you are representing the vectors, v, as column matrices, then you can represent the dual vectors, v*, as row matrices. The value of the function is the matrix product v*v.

More generally, given basis vectors [itex]v_1, v_2, v_3, ..., v_n[/itex] for V, you can define n functions by [itex]f_1(x_1)= 1[/itex], [itex]f_1(x_i)= 0[/itex] for [itex]i\ne 1[/itex], [itex]f_2(x_2)= 1[/itex], [itex]f_2(x_i)= 0[/itex] for [itex]i\ne 2[/itex] and, generally, [itex]f_j(x_i)= n[/itex] if i= j, [itex]f_j(x_i)= 0[/itex] if [itex]i\ne j[/itex]. Show that those functions form a basis for the dual of V.

In finite dimensional vector spaces, if two vectors spaces have the same dimensionl, they are isomorphic so the dual of a finite dimensional vector space is isomorphic to the vector space. In infinite dimensions, that is not true. However, the "dual of the dual" of a vector space is always isomorphic to the vector space.

1. What is the relationship between a basis and its dual basis?

The dual basis is a set of linear functionals that can uniquely represent the elements of a given basis. In other words, the dual basis is a "dual" or "opposite" of the original basis, and together they form a basis-dual basis pair. This means that any element in the original basis can be expressed as a linear combination of the elements in the dual basis, and vice versa.

2. How does the dual basis relate to linear independence?

The dual basis is always linearly independent. This means that none of its elements can be expressed as a linear combination of the other elements. This is because each element in the dual basis corresponds to a unique element in the original basis, and these elements are linearly independent by definition.

3. Can the dual basis exist without a basis?

No, the concept of a dual basis only exists in the context of a basis. Without a basis, there is no set of elements to define the dual basis. Additionally, the dual basis is dependent on the choice of basis, meaning that different bases will result in different dual bases.

4. What is the relationship between the dimensions of a basis and its dual basis?

The basis and its dual basis always have the same dimension. This is because the number of elements in the dual basis is equal to the number of elements in the original basis. Therefore, if the original basis has n elements, the dual basis will also have n elements.

5. How does the dual basis relate to the concept of duality?

The dual basis is a manifestation of the concept of duality in linear algebra. Duality refers to the idea that there are two "dual" spaces that are related to each other. In this case, the original basis and its dual basis are dual to each other, with one providing a basis for the vector space and the other providing a basis for its dual space.