Dc motor load increase as rpm increases?

In summary, increasing the supplied voltage to a dc motor geared to a diaphragm pump results in an increase in both rpm and current (torque). This contradicts the expectation that a higher rpm would lead to lower current due to higher back emf. The reason for this is that the mechanical load also increases with rpm, causing the pressure and power to increase as well. Therefore, achieving the same rpm with a different motor would require the same torque, as rpm and torque are tied together.
mabuchi
I have a dc motor geared to a diaphragm pump, and all hardware are unchanged.

As i increase the supplied voltage, rpm increases, but so does the current (torque).

I thought rpm increase would lead to higher back emf, and thus lowers the current. So would the only reason for my increased current be that the mechanical load increases as rpm increases?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the mechanical load doesn't care about electrons: if the rpm increases on a pump, the pressure and power increase too - by square and cube funtions, respectively.

so if i were to use a different motor (other pump components unchanged) to achieve the same rpm as the current motor, does it need to have the same torque?

In other words, are rpm and torque tie together, so that you would need the same torque to achieve the same rpm for any motor (other pump components unchanged)?

1. How does increasing the rpm affect the load of a DC motor?

As the rpm (rotations per minute) of a DC motor increases, the load on the motor also increases. This is because the motor has to work harder to maintain the increased speed, resulting in a higher torque requirement.

2. What is the relationship between load and rpm in a DC motor?

The load and rpm in a DC motor have an inverse relationship. As the rpm increases, the load on the motor also increases. Similarly, as the load on the motor increases, the rpm decreases.

3. Why does the load on a DC motor increase as the rpm increases?

This is due to the principle of conservation of energy. As the rpm increases, the motor has to convert more electrical energy into mechanical energy to maintain the speed, resulting in an increase in load on the motor.

4. Can a DC motor handle an indefinite increase in load as the rpm increases?

No, a DC motor has a maximum load capacity that it can handle. If the load increases beyond this capacity, the motor will not be able to maintain the desired rpm and may overheat, leading to damage.

5. How can I calculate the load on a DC motor at a specific rpm?

The load on a DC motor can be calculated by dividing the torque (in Nm) by the angular velocity (in rad/s). The angular velocity can be calculated by multiplying the rpm by 2π/60. The resulting load will be in Nm.