Symmetric group question

In summary, we have shown that sgn(\sigma)=0\iff\sigma is not a bijection, through the use of the product formula for sgn, and the fact that a bijection must be both one-to-one and onto.
autre

Homework Statement

[itex]sgn(\sigma)=0\iff\sigma[/itex] is not a bijection.

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex](\rightarrow)[/itex]Let [itex]sgn(\sigma)=0[/itex]. Then, [itex]\Pi_{1\leq i<j\leq n}\frac{\sigma(j)-\sigma(i)}{j-i}=0. [/itex]. For some [itex]i[/itex] and [itex]j[/itex], [itex]i\neq j [/itex], [itex]\sigma(i)=\sigma(j) [/itex]. Thus, [itex]\sigma[/itex] is not an injection.

[itex](\leftarrow)[/itex] [itex]\sigma[/itex] not a bijection [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] it is not an injection, same argument as above, [itex]sgn(\sigma)=0[/itex].

I think I went wrong somewhere. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach is generally correct, but there are a few minor mistakes. First, when you say "for some i and j, i\neq j , \sigma(i)=\sigma(j)", you should specify that i and j are distinct elements in the range of \sigma, not just any two integers. This is because the product only covers distinct pairs of elements in the range.

Secondly, when you say "thus, \sigma is not an injection", you should clarify that this is because \sigma is not one-to-one. This is important because a function can be non-injective without being a bijection (i.e. it could be onto), so it's important to specify what property of \sigma is not satisfied.

Other than that, your reasoning is correct and your proof is complete. Good job!

What is the symmetric group?

The symmetric group is a mathematical group that consists of all possible permutations, or rearrangements, of a set of elements. It is denoted by the symbol "S" followed by the number of elements in the set.

What are the properties of the symmetric group?

The symmetric group is a finite group with the number of elements equal to the factorial of the number of elements in the set. It is also a non-abelian group, meaning that the order in which permutations are applied matters.

How is the symmetric group represented?

The symmetric group can be represented in several ways, including using cycle notation, where the elements are written in cyclic order, or using a multiplication table, where the result of applying two permutations is shown.

What is the order of the symmetric group?

The order of the symmetric group is equal to the number of elements in the set factorial, denoted by n!. For example, the order of the symmetric group S3, which consists of all permutations of 3 elements, is 3! = 6.

What are some applications of the symmetric group?

The symmetric group has applications in a variety of fields, including group theory, combinatorics, and algebraic geometry. It is also used in cryptography, specifically in the construction of symmetric-key algorithms.