What is the reference frame the earth rotates relative to?

In summary, according to DH, the universe does not have to be Euclidean in order for there to be a single frame of reference against which all mechanical spin is measured. All you need is a mechanism that can keep reflecting light back in the same directions.
klaatu2
Please excuse my ignorance - I am a biologist by training - but this is one of those questions that just keeps bothering me and I can't find the answer with Google/Wikipedia.

Take as our example the ocean currents on the Earth caused by the Coriolis Effect of the Earth turning. When I read up on this accounts quickly jump into the maths of mapping between two reference frames. We talk about sitting in a rotating box and being able to tell it is rotating using a Foucault Pendulum etc.

But how does the Earth know that it is rotating relative to the universe and not the universe rotating relative to it? If the universe were spinning around the Earth our ocean currents would stop.

Two clear questions:

If spin is always relative to two frames of reference how do the frames of reference decide which one is stationery and which one is spinning?

If spin is not always relative is there some absolute frame of reference against which all mechanical spin is ultimately measured?

Many thanks for your thoughts on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
klaatu2 said:
If spin is not always relative is there some absolute frame of reference against which all mechanical spin is ultimately measured?
This is a deep question, one to which physicists don't quite have the answer to yet.

To Newton, the answer to this question was clearly "yes". Newton thought motion was absolute. Newton used a spinning bucket of water as an argument for absolute space. One can tell whether or not a frame is rotating with respect to inertial by looking at the surface of a bucket of water. The surface won't be flat if the water in the bucket is spinning.

This troubled various physicists over the years. Mach's principle, named after Ernest Mach, says that the local behavior is somehow dictated by the mass of the universe as a whole. Einstein tried to incorporate Mach's principle into general relativity. However, general relativity is not fully Machian. A bit of a concept of absolute space remains in general relativity.

Imagine a universe that comprised but one liquid planet. Mach's principle would say that there is no way to tell if the planet is rotating. General relativity says that an equatorial bulge would form if the planet is rotating. Whether such a universe could exist, and whether general relativity would describe such a universe: Who knows? There is no way to know.

Getting back to our universe, general relativity, like Newtonian mechanics, has some concept of absolute space. Acceleration and rotation are locally absolute in general relativity. Reference frames are only local in general relativity. Compare to Newtonian mechanics, where the concept of absolute space is global. Reference frames in Newtonian mechanics have infinite extent.

Thanks DH.

I find your answer strangely comforting!

Moderator note: This is in response to a now-deleted post.
I am leaving this post intact because that deleted post caused confusion that needs to be cleared up.

I am not sure I follow you.

I think you are saying we live in a euclidian universe and so there is a single frame of reference that spin is measured against. i.e. the ocean currents are caused by the Earth spinning relative to the invisible 3D, euclidian graph paper we live in.

Is that right?

Last edited by a moderator:
No it isn't.

What DH said is that in general relativity there is an absolute local definition of rotation. It has nothing to do with the universe being Euclidean (which it isn't). And you don't have to look at the stars at all, you can sit in a closed room and define a nonrotating frame very simply using just local experiments.

Here's what to do: send light pulses out along three perpendicular directions, your x, y and z axes. Put mirrors in the way so the light pulses reflect off the mirrors and come back at you. The directions that you see them come back are the same as the original x, y and z directions. You have just built a photon gyroscope, and as long as the light beams keep reflecting back at you, (x, y, z) constitute a local nonrotating reference frame.

1. What is a reference frame?

A reference frame is a coordinate system that is used to describe the position and motion of objects. It is a set of axes and a set of rules for measuring distances and angles.

2. What is the reference frame the Earth rotates relative to?

The Earth rotates relative to an inertial reference frame, specifically the International Celestial Reference Frame (ICRF). This is a fixed reference frame that is based on the positions of distant stars and galaxies.

3. Why is the ICRF used as the reference frame for Earth's rotation?

The ICRF is used because it is an inertial reference frame, meaning it is not affected by any external forces. This allows for accurate measurements of Earth's rotation without any interference from external factors.

4. How is the reference frame for Earth's rotation determined?

The reference frame for Earth's rotation is determined by using a network of radio telescopes to precisely measure the positions of distant quasars. These measurements are then used to create the ICRF, which serves as the reference frame for Earth's rotation.

5. Can the reference frame for Earth's rotation change over time?

No, the reference frame for Earth's rotation remains fixed over time. This is because the ICRF is based on the positions of distant objects in the universe, which do not change significantly over time. However, the Earth's rotation within this reference frame may change due to factors such as plate tectonics or changes in the Earth's mass distribution.