D.w.r.t.x (cosh x)^(sin x) = Derivative of (cosh x)^(sin x)

• Thread starter DryRun
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the derivative of (cosh x)^(sin x) and the attempts made by the participants to solve it. The correct answer involves using both the power rule and the logarithmic derivative rule.
DryRun
Gold Member
Homework Statement
D.w.r.t.x (cosh x)^(sin x)

The attempt at a solution
My attempt:

To me, it appears like (cosh x)^(sin x) is the same as a^x, which on differentiating gives me:
a^x. ln a

My answer: (cosh x)^(sin x).(lncosh x) and then i think that's the end of it.
But the true answer is something else.

Physics news on Phys.org
sharks said:
Homework Statement
D.w.r.t.x (cosh x)^(sin x)

The attempt at a solution
My attempt:

To me, it appears like (cosh x)^(sin x) is the same as a^x, which on differentiating gives me:
a^x. ln a

My answer: (cosh x)^(sin x).(lncosh x) and then i think that's the end of it.
But the true answer is something else.

Your formula for the derivative of a^x assumes a is a constant. Rewrite cosh(x)=e^(log(cosh(x)), use the rules of exponents and try that again.

So, d.w.r.t.x (cosh x)^(sin x) gives (according to my understanding)

The equivalent expression: e^[ln(cosh x)^(sin x)]

I can relate to e^ax which gives e^ax.(a)

So, in this problem, e^[ln(cosh x)^(sin x)] = e^[ln(cosh x)^(sin x)].(1/(cosh x)^(sin x))
And I'm gloriously stuck again.

For some reason, since the past 24 hours, i cannot edit any of my posts anymore as the forum permissions have been changed, so i'll just have to keep adding replies instead of editing my posts...

The part that needs to be completed (i think) is the d.w.r.t.x of (cosh x)^(sin x). But i don't know how to do that. Maybe substitution? Should i substitute cosh x or sin x?

sharks said:
So, d.w.r.t.x (cosh x)^(sin x) gives (according to my understanding)

The equivalent expression: e^[ln(cosh x)^(sin x)]

I can relate to e^ax which gives e^ax.(a)

So, in this problem, e^[ln(cosh x)^(sin x)] = e^[ln(cosh x)^(sin x)].(1/(cosh x)^(sin x))
And I'm gloriously stuck again.

(e^(ln(cosh(x)))^sin(x)=e^(ln(cosh(x)*sin(x)). (e^a)^b=e^(a*b), right?

Another example of what I have always considered an amusing property: In differentiating [itex]f(x)^{g(x)}[/itex], there are two mistakes one can make:

1) Treat g(x) as if it were a constant and use the power rule: [itex]g(x)f(x)^{g(x)- 1}f'(x)[/itex]

2) Treat f(x) as if it were a constant an do a "logarithmic" derivative: [itex]f(x)^{g(x)}g'(x)ln(f(x)[/itex]

The amusing part is that correct derivative is the sum of those two mistakes:
[itex]g(x)f(x)^{g(x)- 1}f'(x)+ f(x)^{g(x)}g'(x)ln(f(x)[/itex]

Dick said:
(e^(ln(cosh(x)))^sin(x)=e^(ln(cosh(x))*sin(x)). (e^a)^b=e^(a*b), right?
There's a missing parenthesis which I inserted above in red.

Latex may make the above clearer.

[itex]\displaystyle \left(e^{\ln(\cosh(x))}\right)^{\sin(x)}=e^{\ln( \cosh(x))\sin(x)}[/itex]

Remember: [itex]\displaystyle \left(e^a\right)^b=e^{ab}[/itex]

SammyS said:
There's a missing parenthesis which I inserted above in red.

Latex may make the above clearer.

[itex]\displaystyle \left(e^{\ln(\cosh(x))}\right)^{\sin(x)}=e^{\ln( \cosh(x))\sin(x)}[/itex]

Remember: [itex]\displaystyle \left(e^a\right)^b=e^{ab}[/itex]

Thank you, SammyS.

1. What is the derivative of D.w.r.t.x (cosh x)^(sin x)?

The derivative of D.w.r.t.x (cosh x)^(sin x) is a complex function and cannot be expressed in a simple form. It requires the use of advanced mathematical techniques such as the chain rule and logarithmic differentiation.

2. How do you find the critical points of D.w.r.t.x (cosh x)^(sin x)?

The critical points of D.w.r.t.x (cosh x)^(sin x) can be found by taking the first derivative and setting it equal to 0. Then, solving for x will give the critical points. However, due to the complexity of the function, the critical points may be difficult to find.

3. What is the graph of D.w.r.t.x (cosh x)^(sin x)?

The graph of D.w.r.t.x (cosh x)^(sin x) is a non-linear function that varies greatly depending on the values of x. It may have multiple peaks and valleys and can only be plotted using specialized software or graphing calculators.

4. Is D.w.r.t.x (cosh x)^(sin x) an even or odd function?

D.w.r.t.x (cosh x)^(sin x) is neither an even nor an odd function as it does not exhibit symmetry about the y-axis or the origin. Its graph may have both even and odd characteristics in different regions.

5. How is D.w.r.t.x (cosh x)^(sin x) used in real-world applications?

D.w.r.t.x (cosh x)^(sin x) is a mathematical function used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model complex systems and phenomena, such as population growth or heat transfer, and to solve differential equations in these fields.