Giant list of science fair project ideas

In summary, someone could do a project on American antigravity.com, make their own H-bomb, or research how the architecture of a house affects how someone sleeps.
for my grade-8 science fair i did "The Brain & Optical Illusion Effects" i got 100% :D wasn't to hard to get the info for it, talk a little about the brain and why our eyes can be deceived then write down a giant binder with 50+ Optical illusions and how they are caused ^.^

Physics news on Phys.org
I dunno, I would do a project with a social impact, maybe do something with carbon emissions. If you live near any university, then you can always get urself into a lab and work with them. That's a lot of fun and you get to do projects beyond ur school level.

How about trying to give the people an introduction to cryptography and its development. You can also create your own german enigma machine. Regarding recon's ideas about about using computers too, well you can include that too in your cryptography assignment when talking about modern crytography, public key encryption and the future of cryptogarphy which is quantum crytography.

Jimmy said:
An electroscope is an easy project to make and to demonstrate static electricity. A jar w/lid , nylon string, foil and tape is basically all the materials that would needed.

A web search for electroscope will yield plenty of results for various designs. One I saw just used a jar w/lid, paper clip, and two small strips of foil. Couldn't be simpler.

I built one in eighth grade. The science dept. even loaned me the gold foil for it. Back then when everyone was worried about above ground nuclear testing, it was promoted as a cheaper alternative to a Geiger counter for determining background radiation. (The higher the radiation the faster it discharges.)

Now of course they can be built with FETs and use LEDs or meters as indicators.
http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/emotor/chargdet.html

Hey guys, I need to work on a research project for school. I was thinking of tracking exoplanets, but so far I only have a vague idea of how this is done.

What resources do I need, and how?

did anyone now about the bagdad batery build 2000 bc it was the very first form of electricty it is very easy to make one that was my shcoll project

Mattius_ said:
Make a engine that runs on gravity :wink:

Thats impossible? but then so is everything else in our world today ;) But I do know how to make an engine that runs on nothing ;) my secret, just wait a few years then youll see it on TV, or ull be driving one.

HeavenTornApart said:
anyone fancy a project on perfecting perpetual motion?

you will learn loads of physics and if you succed you will become quite famous and wealthy

(ps if you do succed i want a 20% cut in all the income)

I got it :p I've been working for a few years on the side thinking about this, so its just a concept, but. I've been workin out bugs and I think id work.

Theres a good video onyoutube about making "water into balls" when taken out of the trough.
Here's the link

Hope it benefits someone. And could someone please tell me what reaction takes place in there??

Last edited by a moderator:
Make a cyclotron!

Do one about how a tsunami forms and make a simulation in a water bottle!

i'm university student looking 4 project in physics 4 my final year project
i also hope somebody can send me a procedure an example of report to my email

i have no idea right now
for my final project in pure physics degree

well a friend of mine did a project coding music into a laser and transmitting music over one end, and having a decoder-receiver thing at the other end of the laser which would play the music. apparently the laser can successfully transmit the music for 2 kms. OR you could just have a fancy laser pointer at one end and a big hi-tech-looking MP3 player on the other end and somehow convince everyone that the laser is transmitting music xD

Shahil said:
I know that this project is one that involves quite a bt of work but what about doing a project where you research and actually make an alternate fuel like biodiesel?

actually I am trying to do that using citrus fruit oil any idea how can i do it?

albrock06 said:
I've always wanted to try a little project of my own. It would take a week or so to start it up, but hey, science didn't happen over night.

I wanted to make a bacteria culture (or a few of them). Maybe grow them in my garage. I'd have to make a little stable box to keep them in. ... find some little petri dishes and whatnot.

Then, using different household objects (not cleaning supplies; that's cheating), I'd try to make my own sanitizer. (I was thinking ... food items. Like onions, vinager, lemon juice. You know ... just normal stuff you'd find in the pantry.)

I'd apply a bit to each culture and see what kills what and how long it takes. My chemistry teacher would love me to pieces.

But still, there are some questions left. Like ... where do you get the bacteria? Dad's mouth when he first wakes up in the morning? Should I grow some nice pretty green mold? :shrugs: Sounds fun, any way you do it. :smile:

check out for p-trap experiment you will get the answer.

the thing is i must not repeat same old projects i need to develop on existing projects or create a new project. can anyone help me?pleasezzz

Diet coke and mentos or galvanization of a nail using zinc plate, a nail then compare it with a rusted nail and how galvanization is used in buildings today.

Hi, everything on the lists are great ideas, you ca have it in grade school and high school science project. And I have one for my son's project and it themes with environment.

Ok so I need a good science fair project for me and my friend. We need to turn in the project IDEA by this Friday so we only have 5 days left to turn in our idea, but we have until (I think) February to do our project. I love any type of physics, though mainly theoretical, but there are very few theoretical physics project mainly because of the high levels of mathematics needed for them.

So to sum it up we want to do a physics project. But subject wise, we don't really care with sub category of physics. We though particle physics would be really cool...but couldn't think of an idea for particle physics :/

So far the best ideas i have are:
Effects of temperature on resistors/generators
Outside radiation effects on radio waves
I also thought it would be awesome to create a hologram, but we need to have a hypothesis ect. and I could not think of one.

Oh and finally we want this to be somewhat unique...so please don't just tell us what to do experiment wise, just help us start off by pointing out some interesting subjects or ideas we should look into. Except for the hologram case. If anyone has ANY ideas on how to turn the hologram idea into a experiment fire away :P

Thank you guys!

Find out how much exercise you get from the Wii Fit or Wii Sport in comparison to the real sports.

I tried Electrolysis. God I made an H-Bomb, using mains as power supply. It successfully worked though, demonstrating the oxygen and Hydrogen Test.

Why do oranges and lemons smell different?

You can investigate the chirality and explain mirror molecules. You can extract limonene from the orange via steam distillation and layer it over the lemon and show why they now smell the same.

Someone could make an experiment replicating, but improving, the infamous doll experiment. It bugs me, there are usually so many uncontrolled variables.

How about a science fair project on trying to repeat science experiments? It's scary how much science is NOT repeatable or extremely difficult to repeat. We had a visitor from the NIST a few months back. He talked about a very, very, very simple assay to measure the number of cells dying in response to drug X. They sent out the same exact cell line to 10 different labs and gave them all the same exact assay to run using the same method. The variation in the results obtained was truly shocking. The statistics were all over the place. If a simple tox assay can't be repeated by the different labs, how much science out there that is much more complicated won't be able to be repeated?

linear particle accelerator. If you can find a vacuum pump.

<h2>1. What is a science fair project?</h2><p>A science fair project is a hands-on experiment or investigation that follows the scientific method to answer a question or solve a problem. It typically involves creating a hypothesis, conducting research, performing experiments, and analyzing and presenting data.</p><h2>2. How do I come up with a science fair project idea?</h2><p>One way to come up with a science fair project idea is to think about your interests and hobbies. You can also browse through books, websites, or attend science fairs to get inspiration. Another option is to observe your surroundings and ask questions about how things work or why they happen.</p><h2>3. What makes a good science fair project idea?</h2><p>A good science fair project idea is one that is relevant, interesting, and feasible. It should also follow the scientific method and have a clear purpose or goal. Additionally, a good project idea should be unique and testable, meaning it can be measured and produce data.</p><h2>4. Can I use someone else's project idea?</h2><p>No, it is not recommended to use someone else's project idea as it is important to come up with your own unique project. However, you can use other projects as inspiration and put your own spin on them.</p><h2>5. How long does a science fair project take?</h2><p>The time it takes to complete a science fair project can vary depending on the complexity of the project and how much time you dedicate to it. On average, it can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks to complete a science fair project, including research, experimentation, and analysis.</p>

1. What is a science fair project?

A science fair project is a hands-on experiment or investigation that follows the scientific method to answer a question or solve a problem. It typically involves creating a hypothesis, conducting research, performing experiments, and analyzing and presenting data.

2. How do I come up with a science fair project idea?

One way to come up with a science fair project idea is to think about your interests and hobbies. You can also browse through books, websites, or attend science fairs to get inspiration. Another option is to observe your surroundings and ask questions about how things work or why they happen.

3. What makes a good science fair project idea?

A good science fair project idea is one that is relevant, interesting, and feasible. It should also follow the scientific method and have a clear purpose or goal. Additionally, a good project idea should be unique and testable, meaning it can be measured and produce data.

4. Can I use someone else's project idea?

No, it is not recommended to use someone else's project idea as it is important to come up with your own unique project. However, you can use other projects as inspiration and put your own spin on them.

5. How long does a science fair project take?

The time it takes to complete a science fair project can vary depending on the complexity of the project and how much time you dedicate to it. On average, it can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks to complete a science fair project, including research, experimentation, and analysis.