Understanding Set Theory: Explanation and Examples for Beginners

In summary, the person is trying to understand why adding the probability of A, B, and C twice would be beneficial. They are not understanding why we need to add the probability of A, B, and C together instead of subtracting the probability of A, B, and C.
Philip Wong
Hi guys,
I someone help me to set my logic straight and help me understand the following situation.

For three I was given the following definition:
P(A ∪ B ∪ C) = P(A) + P(B) + P(C) − P(A ∩ B) − P(A ∩ C) − P(B ∩ C) + P(A ∩ B ∩ C).

I don't understand why we need to + P(A ∩ B ∩ C), instead of - P(A ∩ B ∩ C).
My reasoning are as follows:

1) I understand from other definitions that we − P(A ∩ B), − P(A ∩ C), − P(B ∩ C) from the union equation, because we would added the probability of A, B, and C twice if we don't do so.

2) Thus for P(A ∩ B ∩ C), it should follows the reason from 1), if we +P(A ∩ B ∩ C) instead of -P(A ∩ B ∩ C). Then wouldn't we added the probability of A,B, and C twice?

I tried to draw the Venn Diagram, to see if I can make some sense out of it. But that didn't help, as I don't get it at all and see any relationship at all. So please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write out each set X as the union of mutually exclusive sets. Then P(X) becomes the sum of the probabilities of these sets. If you write the right hand side of the rule this way, you can see what cancels out what.

For example, [itex] A = (A \cap B \cap C) \cup (A \cap B \cap C^c) \cup A (A \cap B^c \cap C) \cup (A \cap B^c \cap C^c) [/itex]

This might be easier to write if you use the product notation for intersections. [itex] ABC = A \cap B \cap C [/itex]

[itex] P(A) = P(ABC) + P(ABC^c) + P(AB^cC) + P(AB^cC^c) [/itex]

[itex] AB = ABC^c \cup ABC [/itex]

[itex] P(AB) = P(ABC^c) + P(ABC) [/itex]

Stephen Tashi said:
Write out each set X as the union of mutually exclusive sets. Then P(X) becomes the sum of the probabilities of these sets. If you write the right hand side of the rule this way, you can see what cancels out what.

For example, [itex] A = (A \cap B \cap C) \cup (A \cap B \cap C^c) \cup A (A \cap B^c \cap C) \cup (A \cap B^c \cap C^c) [/itex]

This might be easier to write if you use the product notation for intersections. [itex] ABC = A \cap B \cap C [/itex]

[itex] P(A) = P(ABC) + P(ABC^c) + P(AB^cC) + P(AB^cC^c) [/itex]

[itex] AB = ABC^c \cup ABC [/itex]

[itex] P(AB) = P(ABC^c) + P(ABC) [/itex]

Hi Stephen,
I don't quite follow you, mind to explain it in a more layman terms? thanks!

p.s. just to make sure, P stands for probability in the formula I type in the beginning
P(A ∪ B ∪ C) = P(A) + P(B) + P(C) − P(A ∩ B) − P(A ∩ C) − P(B ∩ C) + P(A ∩ B ∩ C).

I don't know what the explanation would be in layman's terms. Do the algebra and then explain the algebra to yourself verbally. (Laymen can't understand probability anyway!)

If you can't do the algebra, analyze a specific example involving the cardinality of sets instead of probability. A = {1,2,3,4,5,6}, B = {4,5,6,7}, C= {3,4,5,8}. What's the cardinality of [itex] A \cup B \cup C [/itex]? Is it 6 + 4 + 4 -3 -3 -2? Or is it 6 +4 + 4 -3 -3 -2 + 2 ?

Philip Wong said:
Hi guys,
I someone help me to set my logic straight and help me understand the following situation.

For three I was given the following definition:

I don't understand why we need to + P(A ∩ B ∩ C), instead of - P(A ∩ B ∩ C).
Here's an intuitive way to see understand this. Calculating P(A) + P(B) + P(C) accounts for that intersection three times. Calculating P(A ∩ B) + P(A ∩ C) + P(B ∩ C) also accounts for that intersection three times. Thus P(A) + P(B) + P(C) − P(A ∩ B) − P(A ∩ C) − P(B ∩ C) doesn't account for it at all (3-3=0). You need to add that joint probability back in.

Or you could look at it from the perspective of disjoint sets. Split A into Ad, the part of A that is neither a member of B nor C; (A∩B)d the part of A that also is in B but not in C; and A∩B∩C. Do the same for sets B and C. The union A∪B∪C can be split into seven disjoint parts Ad, Bd, Cd, (A∩B)d, (A∩C)d, (B∩C)d, and A∩B∩C. Since these subsets are disjoint, the probability of the union is the sum of the probabilities of these subsets:

P(A∪B∪C) = P(Ad) + P(Bd) + P(Cd) + P((A∩B)d) + P((A∩C)d) + P((B∩C)d) + P(A∩B∩C)

You can do the same for P(A), P(B), P(C), P(A∩B), P(A∩C), and P(B∩C). For example,

P(A) = P(Ad) + P((A∩B)d) + P((A∩C)d) + P(A∩B∩C)
P(A∩B) = P((A∩B)d) + P(A∩B∩C)

With these, you will find that

P(A∪B∪C) = P(A) + P(B) + P(C) − P(A∩B) − P(A∩C) − P(B∩C) + P(A∩B∩C)

is an identity.

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects or elements. It is concerned with the properties and relationships of sets, as well as operations that can be performed on them.

2. What are the basic elements of set theory?

The basic elements of set theory are sets, elements, and operations. A set is a collection of objects, elements are the objects contained within a set, and operations are actions that can be performed on sets, such as union, intersection, and complement.

3. What is the importance of set theory?

Set theory is important because it serves as the foundation for many areas of mathematics, including algebra, topology, and analysis. It also has applications in computer science, physics, and other fields.

4. How is set theory used in real-life situations?

Set theory can be used in real-life situations to organize and classify objects, events, and concepts. For example, it can be used to categorize different types of animals or to group similar products in a store.

5. What are some key concepts in set theory?

Some key concepts in set theory include sets and their elements, subsets, operations on sets, cardinality, and the Axiom of Choice. These concepts help to define and understand the properties and relationships of sets.